Epic Games interview: PCs will need to catch up to PS5's SSD

crispy4000

PCs will survive, the question is, will there be more than one path to solving port issues. Obviously, PC will catch up and exceed the PS5's hardware. Games will still need to run on Xbox Series X so we know there will likely be some work around. IS the short term answer more RAM? Maybe. We have to hear from developers to understand the implications. Remember, this is a hype cycle right before a new generation. Each of these companies has motivation to highlight some facts and delightfully ignore other ones. That's how hype works. Lets not worry too much until developers tell us what the deal is. Its gonna be OK people! :p

30 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This gen everyone said PCs were going to stop getting games because of piracy. 

I'm only addressing the stance that consoles come out more powerful every gen and that I don't think anyone really felt that way this last gen.

Naturally, people have and will continue to make all sorts of false claims about PC gaming in general though!

23 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

PCs will survive, the question is, will there be more than one path to solving port issues. Obviously, PC will catch up and exceed the PS5's hardware. Games will still need to run on Xbox Series X so we know there will likely be some work around. IS the short term answer more RAM? Maybe. We have to hear from developers to understand the implications. Remember, this is a hype cycle right before a new generation. Each of these companies has motivation to highlight some facts and delightfully ignore other ones. That's how hype works. Lets not worry too much until developers tell us what the deal is. Its gonna be OK people! :p

I think there is at least a staightforward path for PCs. PCs embrace NVMe going forward. As it is, that tech is getting pretty common. Eventually, it will be faster on PC, and PCs will have faster and more RAM to boot.

2 minutes ago, legend said:

I think there is at least a staightforward path for PCs. PCs embrace NVMe going forward. As it is, that tech is getting pretty common. Eventually, it will be faster on PC, and PCs will have faster and more RAM to boot.

To be sure, super fast PCIe 4.0 NVME drives will do the trick,.  I'm wondering if using more RAM (32Gb) in the short term might be the quicker , and more cost effective solution to ensuring comparability. Of Course, Unreal Engine 5 is not due in its full form until late 2021, with matured games to follow in 2022, so maybe that concern is one that will look silly in short order? Not sure, but I do know it means hardware is moving forward, and that always makes me happy, regardless of the camp pushing it forward!  

8 hours ago, SimpleG said:

This is the million dollar question.  If this so far and away advanced a simple comparison demo between a mid range and higher end pc would have really sealed the deal. Any time someone touts X over Y but doesn’t actually demo it , I tend to be skeptical.

Yup especially when it's an obvious marketing deal with certain talking points 

1 hour ago, MeatAndPotatoes said:

my budget is around 1k. I need a new mobo, ram, gpu and cpu. whats the best bang for buck with that price range, ive been out of the loop

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KsGtJb

This will do 1440p at a good refresh rate and 4k at 30fps on mid settings.

AMD is set to release new CPU later this year so I would consider waiting or buying 3300 chip and a 500 series mobo later this month which will give you a good upgrade path. 

• Thanks 1

I take all this to mean the PS5's specific architecture did play an important role in this demo, but the software side tech behind it can scale to other platforms.

One takeaway here is the PS5 is particularly well suited for this massive increase in asset detail.  May even be a differentiating factor for next gen.

If I were in the market for a new PC build and not a PS5 I would probably take a wait and see approach.  Conventional wisdom about how to best balence your system may change a bit in the future.

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KsGtJb

This will do 1440p at a good refresh rate and 4k at 30fps on mid settings.

AMD is set to release new CPU later this year so I would consider waiting or buying 3300 chip and a 500 series mobo later this month which will give you a good upgrade path. 

Buying right now you have to get  a B550 or X570 motherboard.  Currently AMD is stating they will NOT support their next CPUs on X470, B450, and older motherboards.

Beyond the SSD, CPU, and GPU, there's also the general architecture advancements to consider if you're looking to build a PC that will match and/or surpass the PS5 here.

spacer.png

Sweeny also speaks to this:

It may be a while before you can build a PC with similar improvements.  Imagine that will (hopefully) come with the next wave of PC hardware.  Either way I could see there being a period where people need even higher-end components (such as top end NVMe drives) to reach PS5 parity.

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Do you even GDDR5 bro?

Ya. None of that stuff mattered; the refrain was, "PS4 and XBO are mid-tier PCs, maybe, why'd they do this g'dammit shit fucks"

No one said PCs would have to catch up to the "haha everything's 30fps" PS4 and the "We had to do 720p for MGS Ground Zeroes" Xbox One. I loved how everything looked, but "mid-tier PCs at best" was the refrain through and through and through.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sounds like Tim Sweeney just got money hatted by Sony to talk nice about it.

rockos modern life nicksplat GIF

4 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I honestly can't believe people still buy this PR nonsense, "Our blah blah blah is lightyears ahead of everyone!"  Consoles are great but they really need to stop overpromising everytime around.

What is it they've promised that you don't think they will deliver?

I don't remember them overpromising anything last time? They gave the specs, they talked about its sharing capabilities (which were easy as all hell to use), they talked about suspend/resume and easy streaming capabilities. Half of gamers swore on their graves that FF7 Remake and Shenmue III wouldn't actually come out this gen after their reveal and they did. Death Stranding was supposed to never came out because Kojima and it came out in three years.

It's okay to be excited, guys. Sometimes things actually happen, gee zuz. :p 

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

People making things want me to buy said thing!

They're not developing the PS5. Developers were not impressed with the PS3's specs.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

They're not developing the PS5. Developers were not impressed with the PS3's specs.

You remember things very different than me, PS3 was the coming of jesus christ cause it had 7 cores of secret sauce!  The secret sauce always turns out to be mayo and kethup though.

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

You remember things very different than me, PS3 was the coming of jesus christ cause it had 7 cores of secret sauce!  The secret sauce always turns out to be mayo and kethup though.

I'm not saying Sony; I'm saying developers. 

Maybe the PS3 wasn't good and the PS5 is? The PS4 was developer-friendly to a tee. Maybe it's easy to dismiss it when you just consume the product, but it certainly wasn't a hindrance to the people who made what we play. The stuff I got excited for is what I got, no tricks or "secret sauce."

25 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Wow. The only overpromise I have seen in years is from Stadia. 

best gif wow GIF

That's what I'm saying! I feel like they told us what we were gonna get and then we got it this gen. The features were there, and stuffl like sharing gameplay, SharePlay where people can play your games digitally without being next to you, and suspend/resume were as advertised and got better over time.