Epic Games interview: PCs will need to catch up to PS5's SSD

crispy4000

33 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Curious what does this mean...  That using this type of rendering, or bringing in Megascans, isn't really feasible for real games?  As I said, I'm not all that tech savy, so just wondering what this translates to.

Dan is poking fun at people trying to tell God of War's Art Director what is and isn't possible with megascans.

To Raf's point there is more to consider beyond dropping in and instancing lots of scanned assets, such as managing size on disc and the ram unique assets will occupy.  Depending on the game "Megascans everywhere" is probably not the most practical approach.

😂

17 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don't know what your current SSD is.

IMHO, you should use your fastest SSD as your boot drive.  Your system will boot and feel faster if Windows is installed on a fast drive.

I'll clarify my previous point, and my thought process.

Current games do not benefit a whole lot from putting them on really fast SSDs -- because a lot of your "loading time" in games isn't actually loading, but "decompression", etc.  The SSD will improve the speed of the loading, but not the rest.  So when you put in an SSD that is 5x faster, it only reduces the loading time by a little bit.

However, if you believe that having "really fast storage" will be a key component to future game engines (in 202, 2022 and beyond) -- you're probably going to want to try and "future proof" yourself, by not locking yourself out of that.   PCIe4.0 SSDs are a step function in speed above previous SSDs.  The problem is that right now, PCIe4.0 requires support by the motherboard -- and only a few MBs support it -- and they are all AMD.  So if you're doing a build right now, and you want to add the future storage later, you're going to need to buy a new MB later (and probably a new CPU, and maybe new RAM).

That said, I am generally not a proponent of futureproofing -- because you're guessing.  Maybe super-fast storage won't be important for PCs, but having a boatload of RAM will be.  We just don't know.

If it were my money, I wouldn't buy a new PC right now.  New CPUs from AMD and Intel are imminent.  New GPUs from Nvidia and AMD are imminent.  PSUs are in short supply.  New consoles are on the horizon, and given that many/most developers target consoles (and Sony consoles in particular) for their engines.  One way of thinking about running those games on a PC is "like the console, but better" -- so I'm waiting to see how it all shakes out before I put my $$$ into a new gaming PC.

Very well put, i appreciate it!

Im planning on upgrading around the time cyberpunk comes out. I will most likely go with an rtx 3070 with the new Ryzen cpu and fastest bang for buck RAM. I hope my EVGA 650w bronze psu will suffice, if not that won't bee too big of an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Additional context for those wondering how all this relates to PCs. 

In other words the PS5 I/O block is a new architecture advancement for the industry. There's nothing quite like it (yet) elsewhere.  There are pieces of the puzzle being solved by the tech giants, but they need to work together to make it happen.

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

In other words that Sony money is still coming in so Timothy will keep the hype train rolling

Given Tim's earlier statement on how there is no secrete marketing deal, it's far more likely that he is trying to encourage Microsoft, nVidia, AMD and Intel to follow suit.

Unless of course you think Tim is just straight up lying about the PS5 and/or the state of PC architecture.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

In other words that Sony money is still coming in so Timothy will keep the hype train rolling

As I’ve said before in this thread, Epic’s reputation with outside developers is worth more than the money you’ve postulated is being exchanged here.  

Any lies or hyperbole on this would catch up to Tim directly, as Unreal 5 starts being evaluated by outside studios across platforms.  (Which may already be happening)  There’s no good reason for him to spread misinformation about someone else’s hardware.  

New consoles having a proprietary “secret sauce” also isn’t something wildly out of the norm.  It’s expected.  

The intriguing thing with PS5 is that Tim thinks it’s substantial enough for it to challenge/change how PC does things moving forward.

On 6/6/2020 at 3:07 AM, Duderino said:

fkkf952kf5351ukju7.jpg

Hey now, I know we're all having fun here, but PC has always been the lowest common denominator! For every 2080 Ti, there's a thousand K-Mart branded computers that people use to complain on the Steam forums about games not supporting 32-bit Windows or integrated graphics!

3 hours ago, Ominous said:

So how to I RAID my Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB?

Well you need use your American Express card as, like, an SLI bridge, moneybags.  Just make sure the magnetic strip is touching both of them, and induction will take care of the rest.  Oh, and if they're too far apart you can daisy chain several credit cards!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Well you need use your American Express card as, like, an SLI bridge, moneybags.  Just make sure the magnetic strip is touching both of them, and induction will take care of the rest.  Oh, and if they're too far apart you can daisy chain several credit cards!

Well going AMD and keeping my old 1080 SC gave me room in my budget for other things.