PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
playstation-live-service-1.jpg
INSIDER-GAMING.COM

Sony has expressed an intention to flesh out its PlayStation portfolio with live service games and has invested $2.1B to see it done.

Not only that but Sony Group has also expressed a desire to pivot towards a model that focuses much more succinctly on live service titles, with Nikkei’s article referencing the fact that ‘Sony itself has yet to make a splash in live service games.’

According to the report published by Nikkei.com, Sony plans to allocate a staggering 60% of all PlayStation 5 development spending to live service games exclusively for the year ending March 2026. It was also stated that there’s a grand goal in place to have no fewer than twelve live service games in the PlayStation portfolio within that same timeline.

Furthermore, it was explained that Sony Group also has plans to break into the metaverse in a much more meaningful way, exploring avenues made up of ‘extended reality’ and making use of studios around the world to drive research and development into the space.

• 2 weeks later...
1280x720.jpg
WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Here's when to watch live - Sony is plotting a press conference in China this week, which it promises will reveal the thir...

This week it confirmed that, despite skipping most major conventions this year, it’ll have a booth at ChinaJoy in Shanghai, which is scheduled to take place this weekend, between 28th July and 31st July. And prior to that, it’ll host a press conference where it’ll reveal new Chinese developed PS5 and PS4 games coming to its consoles.

• 2 months later...

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Smaller PS5 design comes with 1TB storage for PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition; new model provides option to add an Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive to PS5 Digital Edition.

As the holiday season approaches, we are excited to share that we have a new PS5 model launching. To address the evolving needs of players, our engineering and design teams collaborated on a new form factor that provides greater choice and flexibility. The same technology features that make PS5 the best to play are packed into a smaller form factor, along with an attachable Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive and a 1TB SSD for more internal storage.

The new PS5 has been reduced in volume by more than 30%, and weight by 18% and 24% compared to the previous models. There are four separate cover panels, with the top portion in a glossy look, while the bottom remains in matte. If you purchase the PS5 Digital Edition, you can add the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive for PS5 later, as it will also be sold separately for 79.99 USD | 119.99 EURO | 99.99 GBP | 11,980 JPY.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: "New PlayStation 5 - Same Immersive Power. New Slimmer Size."
2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So if you get a digital edition with a disc drive it costs more than the version with just the disc drive.

And wasn't it a $100 difference between the two previously? Now it's only $50.

Yes, but, you see, you can attach something you probably don’t want to it now, so it’s worth an extra $50.

• True 1

3 hours ago, nublood said:

Nah I'm good. Mine still works just fine.

3 hours ago, Dre801 said:

I'm good.  I invested in matte black plates, a black DualSense, and a 4TB SSD for my current; I've dumped enough cash into PS5.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I only buy tech revisions, I’ve never bought a cosmetic revision and this certainly won’t be the first. 

I'm guessing collectors with some pocket money get slim revisions despite owning the original. Otherwise, I figured it's a way to limit the cost of creating consoles for new customers to buy.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So if you get a digital edition with a disc drive it costs more than the version with just the disc drive.

And wasn't it a $100 difference between the two previously? Now it's only $50.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, but, you see, you can attach something you probably don’t want to it now, so it’s worth an extra $50.

Stealth price increase. >_>

The way to attach the drive is pretty slick, I admit. But... might as well just get the regular one.

53248858359_949d3ced6c_h.jpg

18 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Didn't realize the physical edition could also remove its disc drive. So they found a way to make this one SKU (if I'm looking at this correctly).

Yeah they should now essentially only need to manufacture the one type of ps5 and then just choose how many to attach the modular disc add on to or not

• 4 weeks later...
WWW.FORBES.COM

It feels like yesterday when Sony was laying out a plan to use 60% of its PlayStation budget to make and release 12 live service games in the next few years. Now, after internal reports that...

“We are reviewing this. We have not been able to meet the gamers' expectations, but we are trying as much as possible that this would be played by the gamers and liked by gamers for a long time. So six titles will be released by FY '25. That's our current plan. And the remaining six titles, as for when to be released, we are still working on that.”

• 1 month later...