PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

I know I've said multiple times that I'm not in a hurry to buy these new consoles, but for no discernable reason I've flipped in the last couple of days. Maybe it's because I'm having a hard time getting my hands on a new GPU, but now I'm going to be on the lookout for a PS5 as well. 

I loved the presets on the 360, I'm still disappointed every time I have to go into settings on the XBone to invert the Y axis.

I'm glad Sony is adding it.

This launch day online only orders nonsense is stupid. "You want a PS5 on launch day even after we totally screwed up pre orders? Congratulations, you can't have one! But, you might be able to order one to be delivered at some unspecified date in the future! Please be excited!"

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

You could buy every launch game and still have storage space left over so why would you need the expansion slot on day 1? 

...is this a real question? Some people like to be prepared ahead of time. Also, hope it doesn't end up like PC parts like the 30x0 nvidia series or the 5x00 AMD series... good luck fighting in the streets over a $200 sub-1TB drive so you can have a few more games installed.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

...is this a real question? Some people like to be prepared ahead of time. Also, hope it doesn't end up like PC parts like the 30x0 nvidia series or the 5x00 AMD series... good luck fighting in the streets over a $200 sub-1TB drive so you can have a few more games installed.

PS5 uses standard m.2 SSDs for the storage expansion. The only caveat being that it has to meet certain standards to make sure it’s equal to the SSD the system comes with. I don’t know if Sony released the “compatible SSD list” yet.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

PS5 uses standard m.2 SSDs for the storage expansion. The only caveat being that it has to meet certain standards to make sure it’s equal to the SSD the system comes with. I don’t know if Sony released the “compatible SSD list” yet.

Oh yes, I forgot. As it stands I assume only a handful of pricey SSDs will be compatible, so... Still $200, but in-stock... hopefully.

Review embargo for the console itself drops in 20 minutes.  Rumor is there's no straight up quick resume feature, just the play activity cards, and that Spider-Man and Astrobot are the only games that can be discussed.

I really dislike the drip feed from both MS and Sony on this.  Let journalists talk freely if you want the console reviewed.

Seems like backwards compatibility didn't have much work put in to leverage the SSD.  It's more akin to the difference you'd expect from a PC SSD vs mechanical.  Microsoft definitely prioritized this more.

A comparison to the PS4:

All that said, Spiderman: MM loads into the game from the menu in <2 seconds.  Games built with the SSD in mind shouldn't have a problem leveraging it.