Virginia makes Election Day a day off, and eliminates holiday celebrating traitors

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The people who need it to be a holiday don't get federal holidays. 

I hate this reasoning. This reeks of the enemy of perfect. If it helps anybody, all the better. The US doesn't have enough federal holidays and if adding one more is too much for fragile America, drop a bullshit one like Columbus Day.

• Like 1

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

I hate this reasoning. This reeks of the enemy of perfect. If it helps anybody, all the better. The US doesn't have enough federal holidays and if adding one more is too much for fragile America, drop a bullshit one like Columbus Day.

Have you met a Berniebro before? Letting good be the enemy of perfect is their MO.

What about something like a mandated federal holiday (is that a thing we could even do?) with an extended window of possible observance? i.e. The "window" for the holiday is like a week, maybe two weeks before the election? But taking a day off for observance is mandatory in that window in all except the most extreme cases, so retail employers can't bullshit or weasel their way out of giving you the time off, and it would be full pay, to boot. Because fuck not paying for holidays! The window, I think, would help provide flexibility so you can stagger time off for employees so you don't have to completely shut down if you don't want to or can't, but also so your business can work to avoid it landing at a tremendously inconvenient time. And obviously voting itself wouldn't be mandatory, just the act of taking a day of observance off with no repercussions or excuses for the absolute grand majority of Americans.

I claim no expertise in how we create, assign or structure federal holidays or their limitations, so maybe it's a bullshit pipe dream, but man I think it'd be nice.

You just have to look at holiday structure and how it practically applies to make something work. Christmas is the closet to a national shut down day we get, with almost everything closed except for the shittiest of retail places. I worked Christmas day for Blockbuster video once, that was fun. 

Thanksgiving is the second closest we get to that, though for poor retail people and the many places that start their Black Friday on Thanksgiving are fucking that up for some. Most people in America have Thanksgiving off. 

The majority of white collar office type jobs get "the big six" off, so Christmas and Thanksgiving plus New Years day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. 

The rest of the filler holidays usually only the government and banks get like MLK day, Presidents Day, Veterans Day, Columbus Day. 

So basically, we would just need to stretch the Big 6 into the Big 7 to add election day, and then have a push to make it like Christmas and Thanksgiving where nearly everybody has it off. People love their days off so I would definitely think you could sell people on another holiday. Our corporate overlords will hate and resist it but this is something that should be easy to sell to people. 

13 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I would gladly eliminate Columbus Day, MLK Day, Memorial Day, and President's Day to get Election Day, Easter Monday, Christmas Eve, and Boxing Day as holidays.

Edit: I'd also just get rid of all traces of Thanksgiving entirely.  I DESPISE that degenerate celebration.

Hey now, every office I've worked in gets that as a 4 day weekend.  I don't care about the reason for the season, I like having a chunk of time where I don't work.

19 hours ago, Dodger said:

You just have to look at holiday structure and how it practically applies to make something work. Christmas is the closet to a national shut down day we get, with almost everything closed except for the shittiest of retail places. I worked Christmas day for Blockbuster video once, that was fun. 

Thanksgiving is the second closest we get to that, though for poor retail people and the many places that start their Black Friday on Thanksgiving are fucking that up for some. Most people in America have Thanksgiving off. 

The majority of white collar office type jobs get "the big six" off, so Christmas and Thanksgiving plus New Years day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. 

The rest of the filler holidays usually only the government and banks get like MLK day, Presidents Day, Veterans Day, Columbus Day. 

So basically, we would just need to stretch the Big 6 into the Big 7 to add election day, and then have a push to make it like Christmas and Thanksgiving where nearly everybody has it off. People love their days off so I would definitely think you could sell people on another holiday. Our corporate overlords will hate and resist it but this is something that should be easy to sell to people. 

Plus these holidays are roughly spread out throughout the year