Political scandal rocks Canada as Trudeau buys donuts from local shop instead of Tim Hortons

*not satire

While at a cabinet retreat in Winnipeg this week, Trudeau stopped by a popular locally-owned donut shop called Oh Doughnuts to pick up a snack for his government:

trudeau.jpg

This puff PR move was met by SCORN and DISDAIN from the Canadian population, according to Global News, who had their story picked up by the AP and Canadian Press:

The issue? The "Canadians" mentioned turned out to be a single twitter account which has 27 followers:

Russian bots at work? Maybe. Fortunately, the "scandal" has been mocked by actual Canadians, and is becoming a meme. Tim Hortons, of course, is owned by Burger King (US), which is itself is owned by a Brazilian investment firm. Hardly Canadian, unlike the locally owned Oh Doughnuts which pays a living wage to employees. Current polls have Trudeau gaining in popularity since the election, with his party now enjoying majority-level support (in terms of seat count were an election held). Could be his mature handling of the Iran plane strike, but probably because of his beard.

Stay tuned for more breaking Canadian political news.

I thought Canadians have become disappointed with the quality of Tim Hortons. Well, that is what every Canadian on Reddit say when TH is brought up. 

Man, I miss my local donut shop. Why'd you have to die, Ray? Your Glazed Twists were the best things ever. No one around here makes that flakey melt in your mouth glaze. All you can find around these parts is that super shitty half-liquid glaze that gets everywhere. 

glad it was bots.  Was shocked at the outrage.  The new Canadian thing to do is hate Tim Hortons and with good reason, they are likely the worst chain in our country. Trash donuts and even trashier coffee.  Most of all, everyone here knows they aint Canadian to boot!  What cha talking aboot twitter?

Also, how much longer until his fucking beard fully attaches.  Why are the sides still too little and the 90s goatee part in full force?

37 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Yes, he's got a beard and donuts, what's the 3rd?

Here's a tracker of his promises, and the ones he fulfilled, didn't, or got part-way done. There is a better one out there run by a political science department that goes into more detail, but this has the basics:

https://trudeaumetre.polimeter.org/

15 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

glad it was bots.  Was shocked at the outrage.  The new Canadian thing to do is hate Tim Hortons and with good reason, they are likely the worst chain in our country. Trash donuts and even trashier coffee.  Most of all, everyone here knows they aint Canadian to boot!  What cha talking aboot twitter?

Also, how much longer until his fucking beard fully attaches.  Why are the sides still too little and the 90s goatee part in full force?

I think it's genetic, his dad also had issues growing the full beard:

872792.jpg

I read about this yesterday. Such bullshit and an instance to make a faux outrage/**tch be eating crackers moment. Any bog standard Mom & Pop doughnut shop in the states would shit all over Tims. I do still go to tims but mostly over timbits from time to time. It's a real shame Canada doesn't have doughnut shops here like the US. So far my current favorite has been Doughnut Monster in Toronto but they're pricey and sometimes I just want a simple doughnut. I would love to simply just have your average M&P shop here in TO (probably would do phenomenal)

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

I read about this yesterday. Such bullshit and an instance to make a faux outrage/**tch be eating crackers moment. Any bog standard Mom & Pop doughnut shop in the states would shit all over Tims. I do still go to tims but mostly over timbits from time to time. It's a real shame Canada doesn't have doughnut shops here like the US. So far my current favorite has been Doughnut Monster in Toronto but they're pricey and sometimes I just want a simple doughnut. I would love to simply just have your average M&P shop here in TO (probably would do phenomenal)

Relax bro.

2 hours ago, chakoo said:

agreed man.  I don't want know rose pedal flavoured fucking donut.  Just gimme simple, delicious donuts (the ex style)  and fuck fancy ass cupcakes too.  way to much icing that half the time doesn't taste much different than cream cheese.  Fuck dat

Tim’s use to be good but most of their donuts are frozen and then shipped out to stores to glaze. I don’t mind the occasional Chocolate Dip but we have better options now with cheaper pricing too. I never see Dutchies anymore donut wise from Tim’s. Local shop called Sweet Paradise makes them and they are huge and delicious. I’m glad he supported the local business there

12 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

agreed man.  I don't want know rose pedal flavoured fucking donut.  Just gimme simple, delicious donuts (the ex style)  and fuck fancy ass cupcakes too.  way to much icing that half the time doesn't taste much different than cream cheese.  Fuck dat

Yeah. Most fancy doughnuts are kind of shit really. While doughnut monster does have some fancy doughnuts I will say their Apple Fritters are amazing and probably some of the best I've ever had.

spacer.png

As for cupcakes, yeah again most are shit and taste the same. The only good place I've found is dlish cupcakes.

2 hours ago, chakoo said:

Yeah. Most fancy doughnuts are kind of shit really. While doughnut monster does have some fancy doughnuts I will say their Apple Fritters are amazing and probably some of the best I've ever had.

spacer.png

As for cupcakes, yeah again most are shit and taste the same. The only good place I've found is dlish cupcakes.

You should also try The Donut Shop on Parkdale Ave if you’re in the Hamilton region. I very much enjoyed the double chocolate dip donut

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

You should also try The Donut Shop on Parkdale Ave if you’re in the Hamilton region. I very much enjoyed the double chocolate dip donut

Thanks for the tip but sadly I'm mostly in the DT Core and Markham. Doughnut Monster opened up a location downtown which is how I know of them. =) Yet the place you recommended looks exactly like what I've been wanting for ages. 

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Do any of the places you live in have the Czech breakfast food kolache/klobasniky? They are actually delicious unlike most dried out lame-o donuts.

I'm not super fond of the fruit ones, but I love the sausage and jalapeno varieties 

51 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

He spent $35-$47 per dozen of doughnuts (TIm's is $10).  Maybe that explains the outrage?

That was the ostensible reason, that he was wasting tax-payer money. The amount was overall quite small, and was a way of supporting a local business (that importantly pays a living wage).

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

He spent $35-$47 per dozen of doughnuts (TIm's is $10).  Maybe that explains the outrage?

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That was the ostensible reason, that he was wasting tax-payer money. The amount was overall quite small, and was a way of supporting a local business (that importantly pays a living wage).

That's insane. Some specially doughnut places here are maybe $25/dozen, and that's for dumbass flavors and topping on doughnuts.

A comparable dozen of donuts from a comparable local business (the local Tim Horton's franchise) is C$10.99 -- or about US$8.60.  He spent more than triple what it would have cost at Tim's.

Given that one of the big criticisms of Trudeau's Liberals is the high level of federal government spending (rightly or wrongly), this looks tone-deaf.