~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

5 hours ago, Jason said:

The demand for our debt is what allows the dollar to be the world reserve currency and being the world reserve currency is what allows us to engage in the deficit spending that we do.

:facepalm:

Having no intentions of every paying back the debt is what allows for the deficit spending. A founding principle of the country. 

Really they are just saying out loud what has to already be understood. 

1 hour ago, Commodore D said:

Having no intentions of every paying back the debt is what allows for the deficit spending. A founding principle of the country. 

Really they are just saying out loud what has to already be understood. 

Wrong. Having debt and consistently paying on the debt (in addition to being the reserve currency and a few other reasons) is a founding principle of this country. It's why after the revolution and the Articles, the Constitution says that the government created by this Constitution will assume all debts made prior. Article 6 clause 1.

Having every intention of servicing the debt is part of how we can deficit spend 

10 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Absolutely. Knowing what we know now (and if we had known it then...), then borders should have been shut down internationally in January (or Dec, etc), and we might have avoided the pandemic altogether. We can blame our leaders for trusting what China was saying...but at the same time, it's not like they had a lot of other information to go off of either, and imagine the backlash if they had shut down all borders based on a hunch, and then there had been no real threat. The blame lays squarely on China for the initial fog of war. If this outbreak had started in Germany, the whole thing would have been incredibly different.

You guys are forgetting that despite what China was saying, our intelligence agencies were warning the powers that be things were a lot worse than what China was telling us. The President ignored the information he was receiving so while China is FULLY responsible for not being as forthcoming with the world as they should have been, our leaders were not doing their due diligence either by trusting our own intelligence resources. That's on us and it should NOT be ignored.

13 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Wrong. Having debt and consistently paying on the debt (in addition to being the reserve currency and a few other reasons) is a founding principle of this country. It's why after the revolution and the Articles, the Constitution says that the government created by this Constitution will assume all debts made prior. Article 6 clause 1.

Having every intention of servicing the debt is part of how we can deficit spend 

Every ponzi scheme has the perception of paying out. 

Hamilton was big on that perception, but also understood, and spoke to the holders of the debt never seeing anywhere close to a full return. (For what is worth, Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow, a good read)

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

The us is the only western nation that hasn't started trending downward, we hit peak and just stayed there, Def time to open up, lol. 

North Jersey and NYC are definitely on a downward trend. Those areas starting to re-open makes sense, I think.

32 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Every ponzi scheme has the perception of paying out. 

Hamilton was big on that perception, but also understood, and spoke to the holders of the debt never seeing anywhere close to a full return. (For what is worth, Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow, a good read)

That's not how our debt financing works, nor how a ponzi scheme works

Imagine the current generations having to live through WWII.

Uhgggghh...but I want butter for my toaaast! I've never even seen a German, I think the government is blowing it out of proportion. If I can't buy whatever I want, then that's not freedom. End the war and let the Germans do whatever they want, it doesn't affect me, and I want my butteeeeeerrr."

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Imagine the current generations having to live through WWII.

Uhgggghh...but I want butter for my toaaast! I've never even seen a German, I think the government is blowing it out of proportion. If I can't buy whatever I want, then that's not freedom. End the war and let the Germans do whatever they want, it doesn't affect me, and I want my butteeeeeerrr."

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO GROW MY OWN FOOD!?

US germ warfare lab creates test for pre-infectious Covid-19 carriers (The Guardian)

Scientists working for the US military have designed a new Covid-19 test that could potentially identify carriers before they become infectious and spread the disease, the Guardian has learned.

In what could be a significant breakthrough, project coordinators hope the blood-based test will be able to detect the virus’s presence as early as 24 hours after infection – before people show symptoms and several days before a carrier is considered capable of spreading it to other people. That is also around four days before current tests can detect the virus.

The test has emerged from a project set up by the US military’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa) aimed at rapid diagnosis of germ or chemical warfare poisoning. It was hurriedly repurposed when the pandemic broke out and the new test is expected to be put forward for emergency use approval (EUA) by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) within a week.