~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I think for a lot of the world, things won't "go back to normal" after this. This is a societal changing event... except for America of course.

Americans are already relatively anti-social. It's why one of the reasons why Spain and Italy got hit so hard. Just extremely sociable countries.

I actually watched the whole press conference from Governor Abbott and I think everything in it is fine on it’s face, but will really come down to execution. @Massdriver rightly noted we do have the “best minds” on it, unfortunately :p 

52 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

People are crazy about the beach here in Jacksonville. It’s like one of the few things we have going for us. Once I saw it was opening this evening I knew it would be an event.

From an article:

Mayor Lenny Curry said Duval County beaches were reopening Friday afternoon with restricted hours, and they can only be used for walking, biking, hiking, fishing, running, swimming, taking care of pets and surfing.

Lol way to lock that down, Mayor Curry and Governor DeSantis. I guess at least they can't...skateboard?

• Haha 2

http://web.mit.edu/jeffrey/harris/HarrisJE_WP2_COVID19_NYC_13-Apr-2020.pdf

This recently published working paper by an MIT Econ prof posits that the NYC subway system played a major role in seeding the city with Covid. Some really interesting data in there suggesting some poor decisions about cutting schedules for the trains before they clamped down on movement with isolation policies.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

http://web.mit.edu/jeffrey/harris/HarrisJE_WP2_COVID19_NYC_13-Apr-2020.pdf

This recently published working paper by an MIT Econ prof posits that the NYC subway system played a major role in seeding the city with Covid. Some really interesting data in there suggesting some poor decisions about cutting schedules for the trains before they clamped down on movement with isolation policies.

Fuck all ya'll who doubted my hunch about the subway system.

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Fuck all ya'll who doubted my hunch about the subway system.

The big conclusion the paper draws is that the MTA actually kept order density high as ridership declined because they were cutting service. The paper suggests they actually should have increased the amount of trains running to decrease density.

Just now, sblfilms said:

The big conclusion the paper draws is that the MTA actually kept order density high as ridership declined because they were cutting service. The paper suggests they actually should have increased the amount of trains running to decrease density.

None of that matters it would have spread through the subway anyway. You just need one point of infection and the whole thing will become infected. Number of trains don't mean shit if the platforms are infected. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, that's the interesting bottomline: maintaining a higher number of trains running would have resulted in more social distancing within the trains themselves.

1 minute ago, SlipperySlope said:

Trains disembark in spaces with recycled air. 

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Thanks for your very data driven analysis :p 

But for real, read the paper and you’ll see that the outbreaks were far larger in areas where the density remained highest due to the cuts to service. Not every train ride is equal in propensity to spur outbreaks.

Just now, SlipperySlope said:

Pass. I don't need an MIT study to tell me why NY got hit harder. 🤣

Apparently you do, because your assessment is wrongheaded :)

3 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Essentially the study suggests that the only options are to maintain the trains running at or near their usual operating frequency or shut down the system entirely.  Reducing the operating volume only increases rider density and the associated risk of concentrated infections.

As always, the solution is to run more trains. 

People should have been mandated to wear masks in public as well. 

10 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Here's the full Ingraham/Fauci clip:

Side note: Remember how well Reagan did with AIDS/HIV? haha jk he sucked

There's a growing sentiment among Republicans that Fauci overhyped AIDS (and SARS, MERS, Swine Flue, etc), HIV isn't as bad as the media tells us, he's using these pandemics to make money for BIG Pharma, he's taking away all of our freedoms turning this country into an authoritarian rule, he wants to kill capitalism, he probably worked with the Chinese to purposefully release this engineered bioweapon, and somehow wireless 5G transmits Covid 19.

Some of the most fucked up shit :doh: This is what "the other side" believes, and I'm beginning to hear this shit more loudly day by day.