Star Wars going to Disney was a big mistake

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Pretty sure I get more pleasure quoting "unlimited power" than I would "that's not how the force works."

“There’s no accounting for taste” :p 

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm sure you went around proudly quoting, "I don't like sand," as if it were well-written, too. :p 

I actually don't like beaches because of sand and have unironically said the quote. I mean, only like two times ever, but I have always agreed, sand sucks.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, johnny said:

the lines from the prequels are fun to quote because they suck so much. the lines from 7 and 8 are actually good. 

NOT IF ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT, I HAVE!

One thing time has done well is allowing me appreciate the craft that went into designing the worlds. Attack of the Clones I straight-up think has a plethora of issues compared to any of the others, including the prequels, but knowing that a ton of people worked hard to make a good movie, I still love watching how much work went on behind the scenes. The Prequel Wars sucked because you couldn't really be in that camp. :p 

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

At least Star Trek Nerds actually seem to LOVE the franchise. I don't think Star Wars "fans" like anything about Star Wars other than their mythological memories of the original trilogy and their head canon fan fiction.

This is part of it, Trek fans talk about which series, which plot line, which Captain, etc. that they love the most. SW fans seem to spend far more times fighting over what they hate the most :lol: There is just a general positivity to Trekdom that is endearing to me as somebody who isn’t super into the series.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is part of it, Trek fans talk about which series, which plot line, which Captain, etc. that they love the most. SW fans seem to spend far more times fighting over what they hate the most :lol: There is just a general positivity to Trekdom that is endearing to me as somebody who isn’t super into the series.

Best series: DS9

Best Captain: Sisko and Picard and Kirk all for different reasons

Best Ship: Defiant

24 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

At least Star Trek Nerds actually seem to LOVE the franchise. I don't think Star Wars "fans" like anything about Star Wars other than their mythological memories of the original trilogy and their head canon fan fiction.

Well, the JJ-verse, otherwise known as the Kelvin timeline did seem the alienate quite a bit of fans. Then you have Discovery. 

All the “remove TLJ from canon” cries, is echoed on the Star Trek side with “DSC isn’t canon” cries from the fans. 

season 2 of DSC won some people back, but looking at season 3 maybe they should have quit while they were ahead. lol I’m fairly certain the Picard show will have a split reaction among the fans too. 

The problem Star Trek has faced was there really hasn’t felt like a single unifying body controlling canon since Enterprise went off the air in the early 2000s. It felt more like different groups are just throwing out Star Trek themed movies and shows in hopes of rekindling the fires into a huge deal again. 

I did like how DS9 allowed Worf to finish the growth as a character he just barely begun in the last couple of season in TNG. 

I was never a TOS fan. Always felt a bit camp to me. But I liked the movies. The only Star Trek I have outright disliked is Voyager. I like DS9. TNG holds a sentimental place in my heart nothing else can touch. And Enterprise was fun and growing on me with each season. 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ah, the "REAL FANS" argument. Classic. You can't be a real fan unless you love every terrible thing to do with Star Wars, especially anything by Disney.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Gotta say, from an outsider’s perspective, this seems accurate. I got a SW fan friend who constantly bitches about everything with the series today. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Ah, the "REAL FANS" argument. Classic. You can't be a real fan unless you love every terrible thing to do with Star Wars, especially anything by Disney.

I’m pretty sure skillz really does mean the legit fandom around Star Wars sucks, not that these aren’t real fans. And if so, he is right :p 

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m pretty sure skillz really does mean the legit fandom around Star Wars sucks, not that these aren’t real fans. And if so, he is right :p 

It could be that he did, but the backdrop of his comment is the small group of swooning diehards around here (himself included) that seem to love everything Disney has been doing. In contrast to them, others are "fans", complete with quotations.

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That's exactly what I meant. 

11 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It could be that he did, but the backdrop of his comment is the small group of swooning diehards around here (himself included) that seem to love everything Disney has been doing. In contrast to them, others are "fans", complete with quotations.

yes I'm a swooning die hard who absolutely LOVES everything Disney does... It's not like I think Rogue One is an overrated mess of a movie or anything. Or that I have never bothered to watch the Clone Wars, or Rebels, or whatever the fuck else Disney is putting out Star Wars related that I couldn't give two shits about.  Star Wars "fans", at least a very vocal minority of  them on the internet, seem to hate everything Star Wars and the shit is legit confusing. If I don't enjoy something, I don't patronize it. I don't keep spending money on it and breathing life into it so I can go bitch about it on the internet. So yeah... I don't understand the behavior. I also don't give a shit enough to make or take any of this stuff personal... again, like some of you "true fans" seem to love to do :peace:

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's exactly what I meant. 

yes I'm a swooning die hard who absolutely LOVES everything Disney does... It's not like I think Rogue One is an overrated mess of a movie or anything. Or that I have never bothered to watch the Clone Wars, or Rebels, or whatever the fuck else Disney is putting out Star Wars related that I couldn't give two shits about.  Star Wars "fans", at least a very vocal minority of  them on the internet, seem to hate everything Star Wars and the shit is legit confusing. If I don't enjoy something, I don't patronize it. I don't keep spending money on it and breathing life into it so I can go bitch about it on the internet. So yeah... I don't understand the behavior. I also don't give a shit enough to make or take any of this stuff personal... again, like some of you "true fans" seem to love to do :peace:

Full stop, you're doing yourself a disservice not watching Rebels. I couldn't get into Clone Wars either, but Rebels has some seriously good highs (a few clunkers in there as well) that make the overall experience terrific.

Anyway if you weren't referring to people here, I'll go ahead and step off now.

7 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Full stop, you're doing yourself a disservice not watching Rebels. I couldn't get into Clone Wars either, but Rebels has some seriously good highs (a few clunkers in there as well) that make the overall experience terrific.

Anyway if you weren't referring to people here, I'll go ahead and step off now.

I wasn't... I was definitely speaking more generally. I don't play that whole "i'm a bigger fan than you are game." Waaay too old for that nonsense. I'm curious about both Clone Wars and Rebels which is why I brought them up, and I may check them out when I have nothing else to do. How many seasons does each show run?

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wasn't... I was definitely speaking more generally. I don't play that whole "i'm a bigger fan than you are game." Waaay too old for that nonsense. I'm curious about both Clone Wars and Rebels which is why I brought them up, and I may check them out when I have nothing else to do. How many seasons does each show run?

As I said I haven't gotten into Clone Wars, but Rebels only has four seasons. I could point out specific cool things about it, but the gist is that it's basically the origin of the Rebellion: how it was organized, how it grew support, how they built up their first squadrons, why and how they came to use some of their signature ships, and it does expand on the nature of the Force at several points.