Game Collecting and Mental Health

GameDadGrant

I don't have time to watch right now, although judging by that thumbnail I'm not sure I ever will, so if he's talking about something entirely different, you'll have to excuse me... But I've always associated collections of any kind with some sort of mild mental health issue. Particularly in gaming where I believe OCD is also present to an almost celebrated degree. People "need" to finish every game, they "need" to buy every game for their collection, they "need" to 100% their titles even if they're not having fun, they "need" to platinum and 1000 point every game. To me it has always been an extremely off-putting element of the gaming community, although I try not to bring it up to much as it could be totally normal mental health and I could be completely wrong. It's just how it comes off to me, and there's really not too much to be gained by poking at people too much about it.

I did have time to skip around a bit and he was talking about wealth flaunting and Youtubers so I'll definitely have to come back to this video later and see what it's actually about, I'll leave my little rant there for flavor.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Not sure if this belongs on Retro Gaming or here, but....I'm curious to hear (read) all y'all's thoughts on this. 

Video is pretty terrible. Hes all over the road with his talking points, no one gives a shit about you tubers flaunting. With that said his issues appears to be the same as someone with a shopping addiction. Having a collection of any kind is fine (excluding hair)  as long as your enjoying what you collect but many like this guy get wrapped up in the "hunt". He's also more concerned with letting everyone else know what hes collected.

42 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I don't have time to watch right now, although judging by that thumbnail I'm not sure I ever will, so if he's talking about something entirely different, you'll have to excuse me... But I've always associated collections of any kind with some sort of mild mental health issue. Particularly in gaming where I believe OCD is also present to an almost celebrated degree. People "need" to finish every game, they "need" to buy every game for their collection, they "need" to 100% their titles even if they're not having fun, they "need" to platinum and 1000 point every game. To me it has always been an extremely off-putting element of the gaming community, although I try not to bring it up to much as it could be totally normal mental health and I could be completely wrong. It's just how it comes off to me, and there's really not too much to be gained by poking at people too much about it.

I did have time to skip around a bit and he was talking about wealth flaunting and Youtubers so I'll definitely have to come back to this video later and see what it's actually about, I'll leave my little rant there for flavor.

I've bitched about gamer OCD for years. It's an industry where's it's not at all unusual to see someone dump hundreds of hours into a game and then declare they hate it. Just...what? You're upset that there's no reward for collecting a million of those stupid widgets the game says you don't have to collect? Why? Stuff like trophies and completion percentages in games feed into gamer OCD and loot boxes are just the natural progression. It was literally the only place feeding into gamer OCD would wind up.

Want to see some stupid Youtuber flaunting? Watch some guys spend thousands on a bunch of loot boxes on Youtube. That right there, I don't believe is healthy for anyone involved. Youtubers dumping tons of money into these games for views and audiences filled with kids and addicts that go off and try to replicate their results.

I also don't understand the complete set mindset for the most part with few exceptions. I also buy games I think I will like. About half or so are games I have played in the past back then and the others are games I'm new to experiencing. I can be a sucker for a remaster. 

I agree that game collecting alone is not unhealthy. Completionism can be. Also if it starts to negatively impact your life and others around you.

37 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

I also don't understand the complete set mindset for the most part with few exceptions. I also buy games I think I will like. About half or so are games I have played in the past back then and the others are games I'm new to experiencing. I can be a sucker for a remaster. 

I agree that game collecting alone is not unhealthy. Completionism can be. Also if it starts to negatively impact your life and others around you.

You'Re Crazy Cray Cray GIF by Steam Room Stories

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Has anybody actually WATCHED the video? He's talking about something different than what you guys are. How making collection videos could be perceived as "Wealth flaunting " and lead to unhealthy behavior in viewers of his channel.

read ice cube GIF

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Has anybody actually WATCHED the video? He's talking about something different than what you guys are. How making collection videos could be perceived as "Wealth flaunting " and lead to unhealthy behavior in viewers of his channel.

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

read ice cube GIF

It's an argument I've heard before. I just don't care to listen to this dude's voice or look at his face. :lol:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, maddux4163 said:

I thought Craig closed his TV&Lust channel. He went through some pretty incredibly hard times from what I recall  

He talks about it in the video. He suffers from some issues and had gone through a break up.

For what it's worth, I think the whole wealth flaunting thing is bullshit.  I think most gamers and collectors who show off their collections are just proud of them and want so show their passion.  If that causes an adverse reaction in the viewer, they dont have to watch.

I'm a bit too tired to really listen to this video. So i'll have to come back to it some other time.

I can see how gaming collecting could cause issues or be taxing on one's mental health yet it's not the case for everybody and I think everybody has varying reasons for collecting. I've personally slowed down quite a bit recently as I'm realizing I really don't have space for all this stuff anymore. I mostly got into collecting because I use to put my energy/focus into a single system, buy up a bunch of games for 1 platform, play the shit out of them, then sell the whole thing off to focus something else. Yet after a while collecting got crazy expensive with rising prices, so I started to hold on to what I have now a days. While I will admit I have things in my collection for the sake of collecting *cough 20th anniversary ps4 & 3DS variants*, I do now mostly focus on things I will play and more about having access to many systems and a few titles than a full collection/set (Yes I know I have a crazy amount of vita & 3ds games but that is/was 90% of what I spent most of my time playing). If things were more like my childhood where I can walk across the street to blockbuster and rent a title I probably would not buy up as much as I would have easier access to what I want to play (Don't say emulation because it never feels right and part of the experience for me with retro games is being able to pick up and look at the boxes/manuals/carts. There are so many times I find myself flipping through a manual before even starting the game).