Your Top Ten Movies of The Decade: Day One Patch Edition

TwinIon

We're doing it for games, may as well do it for films as well. Thanks to Letterboxd this was both much easier and much more difficult than with games. On the one hand, I knew all the movies I'd loved over the last decade, on the other hand, it was not easy to narrow down the last few spots on my list.

The Social Network
The Avengers

Your Name
Inside Llewyn Davis
Gravity
Fury Road
The Act of Killing
Arrival
Dunkirk
La La Land

Blade Runner 2049 and First Man could easily be in there if you ask me tomorrow. I have a bunch that I haven't really revisited enough to be confident in. Burning, Parasite, Citzenfour, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Restrepo, Shirkers, Tale of Princess Kaguya, Ida, Jackie, The Favorite, and The Great Beauty might all be up for a spot if I rewatched them again. Then there are a few that just missed out: Cloud Atlas, Drive, Ex Machina, Grand Budapest Hotel, and Moonrise Kingdom.

Wow. I literally was just talking about this with some friends yesterday in WhatsApp. I just went off the top of my head, so in no particular order and likely to change when I actually think about it:

The Revenant

Kubo and the Two Strings

The Last Jedi

The Grey

Sicario

Blade Runner 2049

Interstellar

Zero Dark Thirty Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (US, Fincher)

12 Years a Slave

Gravity

Edit: I literally just thought about another one.

Blade Runner 2049

Drive

Guardians of the Galaxy 

Endgame

Nightcrawler

That is my top 5. I have seen more than that as I have seen almost all of the Marvel movies, but I can't recall any more movies right now that I liked enough to put on my top 10 list without them just being there to fill it out. There are plenty I liked. John Wick, Mad Max, and Captain America: Winter Soldier to name a few. But I don't know if I liked them enough to have them go down in history, so to speak, as something I consider being my personal 10 favorites of the decade. There are some films I haven't seen that might make the list, such as Logan, but, well, I haven't seen them. 

This will be harder than games :/ Ones I know must be in the list:

• Blade Runner 2049
  • Fury Road
  • Django Unchained

I'll have to think a lot more or steal from other people's list for the rest (not because I can't think of other movies I really liked, but whether they should be in "the" 10)

The Social Network

The rest:

Interstellar

Cabin In the Woods

I Saw the Devil

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

Doctor Sleep

Cloud Atlas

Blindspotting

Life of Pi

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 

Others that come to mind:

Savages
Green Room

John Wick 2

Edge of Tomorrow 

Gone Girl

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Bone Tomahawk

Became less "movies I think are the best of the decade" and more "movies that made me think the most about why I love them." The ones that burrowed into my head and took up residence. Not super crazy about how American it is, but oh well.

Christine

The World's End

To the Wonder

Not Fade Away

The Mend

The Immigrant

Upstream Color

Aloha

Listen Up Philip

The Master

15 hours ago, SimpleG said:

The Wolf of Wall Street

The Handmaiden

These two should be on my "I need to revisit them again" list. 

14 hours ago, johnny said:

Black Swan

A Separation

Interstellar 

What We Do In the Shadows 

Mad Max Fury Road 

Ex Machina 

The Social Network

Sicario

Hereditary 

Lady Bird 

off the top of my head 

Lady Bird, Sicario, and Shadows were all films I was thinking about as well.

8 hours ago, Zeluge said:

Became less "movies I think are the best of the decade" and more "movies that made me think the most about why I love them." The ones that burrowed into my head and took up residence. Not super crazy about how American it is, but oh well.

Christine

The World's End

To the Wonder

Not Fade Away

The Mend

The Immigrant

Upstream Color

Aloha

Listen Up Philip

The Master

Upstream Color is one of those that has stayed in my head ever since. I really need to pop the Blu Ray back in.

I feel like when I put these lists together directors end up competing with themselves. For myself, I don't know if I'd put The Master in over Phantom Thread, but I'd consider both worthy.

Your list did remind me of another one that I missed, Melancholia.

-Rogue One... it adds to Star Wars and makes it better, plus its a more military focused episode which makes it even better

-Fury Road... it should have made a billion bucks, 

-Sicario.. tense, roger deakins cinematography, late johan johannsson doing great work

-*cheating MI: Ghost, Rogue Nation, Fallout... found the “tone/voice” of series and is just fun

-Inception.. Zimmer doing work

-How to Train Your Dragon... fun characters, Night Fury!! , roger deakins cinematography helps

-Fast Five... perfect iteration of that series.. those Chargers at the end were trash

-Godzilla’14/KOTM/Shin... flawed or not theyre great iterations of something i enjoy

-Man of Steel... flawed or not, the score and scale of the film is just too good, Zod is great

I so wanted to add Edge of Tomorrow... but the damn Full Metal Bitch was such a letdown!!!

You'd think this would be easy and you could just choose your favorite movie from each year, lol. But the hardest part in creating this list is in picking out the older movies that I saw for the first time versus the movies that were brand new in the '10 decade.

The King's Speech

13 Assassins

VVitch

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Raid

Split

Sicario

Joker

The Lighthouse

Dredd 3D

Close runner-ups:

The Disaster Artist