The Big Thread of British Elections

I don't follow UK politics very closely, so I'm learning some stuff about Corbyn. This doesn't seem like a typical politician over there based on many of his positions. The guy was a EU skeptic himself at one point. He had a huge disapproval rating. My question is why did labour have this guy leading the party if he was so disliked? Everyone is up in arms blaming the liberal democrats and the scots, but why was this guy leading labour and why does he not get some of the blame for failing miserably to lead his party to victory?

52 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I don't follow UK politics very closely, so I'm learning some stuff about Corbyn. This doesn't seem like a typical politician over there based on many of his positions. The guy was a EU skeptic himself at one point. He had a huge disapproval rating. My question is why did labour have this guy leading the party if he was so disliked? Everyone is up in arms blaming the liberal democrats and the scots, but why was this guy leading labour and why does he not get some of the blame for failing miserably to lead his party to victory?

I don't remember if it was posted in this thread or on the discord, but his policies were massively popular (+44% or thereabouts for a few of them) but corbyn was underwater by like 40% personally.

But these issues seemed to be backseat to brexit so ymmv. From what i understand labor didn't have a strong message on it until later in the election cycle where libdems were remain /revote and Tories leave, generally.

8 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Corbyn is (or at least was) massively popular with his own base, similar to Trump, even though he was massively unpopular with the general public. His own party caucus kicked him out as leader, but the party members voted him back in. It's a classic situation of the grassroots members not being in tune with what the general electorate will tolerate. The major difference between Corbyn and Sanders is that Sanders is pretty popular with the US electorate.

I think it's true that left leaning interests across the globe, particularly passionate advocates, should learn from the UK election that policy does not overcome everything else. In the current climate of right wing monied interests running hard on xenophobia, labour campaigning as xenophobic-but-with-labour-friendly-policies is clearly not a winning message. 

That does NOT mean that left politics are self-defeating. It means that they won't overcome other campaign issues and Corbyn being a xenophobic anti-semetic brexit supporter didn't make it easier for the racists to vote for labour and it also made it harder for other ostensible allies to vote for them. 

I do believe that this means our candidate in the US has to be anti-racist, but I already thought that. We're not going to win back soft trump voters by saying that we can appeal to their racism too. 1992 was almost 30 years ago. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I think it's true that left leaning interests across the globe, particularly passionate advocates, should learn from the UK election that policy does not overcome everything else. In the current climate of right wing monied interests running hard on xenophobia, labour campaigning as xenophobic-but-with-labour-friendly-policies is clearly not a winning message. 

That does NOT mean that left politics are self-defeating. It means that they won't overcome other campaign issues and Corbyn being a xenophobic anti-semetic brexit supporter didn't make it easier for the racists to vote for labour and it also made it harder for other ostensible allies to vote for them. 

I do believe that this means our candidate in the US has to be anti-racist, but I already thought that. We're not going to win back soft trump voters by saying that we can appeal to their racism too. 1992 was almost 30 years ago. 

I agree that traditional material interests don't overcome all, but what explains the massive loss this election with 2017