The Big Thread of British Elections

Looks like the Conservatives under Boris Johnson are going to win a majority with around 43% of the vote. And even though a majority would vote to remain in the EU today, Johnson will likely initiate a hard Brexit and imo start the beginning of the end of the UK.

And we have Russia to mostly thank for this movement. Russia is doing a bang-up job of destroying the west. Imagine if, instead of abandoning them in the 90s to gloat, the US had partnered with Russia and bailed it out, brought it into NATO, etc?

Also Corbyn is possibly one of the worst leaders in western democratic history.

3 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

So assuming Boris Johnson and his party get their way, how soon would a hard Brexit happen?

A very good question that I don't think we have an answer to. I would think the timeline would be pretty short. Weeks seems unlikely, but I wouldn't put it past a couple months if Johnson can do whatever he wants.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

A very good question that I don't think we have an answer to. I would think the timeline would be pretty short. Weeks seems unlikely, but I wouldn't put it past a couple months if Johnson can do whatever he wants.

Let it happen before the 2020 election.  Maybe it will cause the economy to take a nosedive and cost Trump the election.

I know that sounds cold-hearted, but fuck it.

32 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Let it happen before the 2020 election.  Maybe it will cause the economy to take a nosedive and cost Trump the election.

I know that sounds cold-hearted, but fuck it.

I would posit that a no-deal Brexit is at least a short term positive for the US as the EU will effectively punish the England for their shenanigans and the need to boost activity with other big trading partners will be expedited.

35 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The MOE on british polling is massive, like 9 points.

Yeah, UK polls are bullshit. That said the 3rd parties hurt Labour more. 

48 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

So assuming Boris Johnson and his party get their way, how soon would a hard Brexit happen?

The current deadline is January 31st, if he's got a majority he'll pass his deal that's already agreed with the EU then enter the 14 month transition period where they have negotiate the "future relationship" including trade deals with the EU and US. 14 months to do trade deals that normally take 7+ years to negotiate is where you get the hard brexit now. The shit they've been fighting over for the past 3 years was supposed the easy part compared to what's coming. 

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I would posit that a no-deal Brexit is at least a short term positive for the US as the EU will effectively punish the England for their shenanigans and the need to boost activity with other big trading partners will be expedited.

Yeah we'd get to bend England over the rails.