Overwatch 2 OT - Begin Your Watch

The def star

• Pikachu changed the title to Overwatch 2 OT - Begin Your Watch
2 hours ago, Pikachu said:

I played a few matches yesterday. Gameplay is mostly the same other than having 5v5 instead of 6v6. Most teams seem to have 1 tank 2 dps and 2 support structure right now.

I find tanking/healing to be much more fun now. The minimization of CC was a much needed change. In OW1, as a tank I felt like any scrum I was constantly getting juggled around by all the knock backs and stuns. For healers the passive healing rewards smartly knowing when to mix it up.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I’m enjoying it a lot, but it probably helps that I took a few years off from Overwatch. I didn’t have trouble connecting this morning, but that was at like 5am Eastern

It’s been a long time for me, too. It looks like I clocked like 22 hours around launch, which is a drop in the bucket. There seems to be a lot of new players trying it out tho. I ran into one toxic dude earlier today freaking out that players weren’t doing the right thing in an unranked match lol. 

Im not sure I have the stomach to learn optimal play styles with a game like this, but I really enjoy the concept of the game overall. 

21 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

I find tanking/healing to be much more fun now. The minimization of CC was a much needed change. In OW1, as a tank I felt like any scrum I was constantly getting juggled around by all the knock backs and stuns. For healers the passive healing rewards smartly knowing when to mix it up.

I stopped playing Overwatch around the time they change ranked to 2 tanks 2 DPS and 2 support. One of the reasons I think I lost interest was because with the 222 meta people started sticking to characters that were just too good. The same tanks being picked vs the same tanks on the other side. It became a stalemate and that just wasn't fun anymore. With only being able to pick 1 tank it speeds up the game a lot more and with the adjustments and changes, a least for now, they are all sort of viable. I thought I wasn't going to like the 5v5 to the 6v6 but gameplay feels a lot faster than before.  Having fun and can't wait till it doesn't take 30-40 min to login to be able to play it with friends.

OW2_Blizzcon_2019_Rio_IGC_Group_01.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Players with a connected Battle.net account should be able to bypass SMS Protect

Blizzard’s launch of Overwatch 2 on Tuesday did not go as planned. Many players who attempted to play the revamped Overwatch experienced long queue times, were subjected to server errors, were disconnected from games, and had progress and items not carry over from the original game — that is, if they could connect to Blizzard’s game servers at all. On Wednesday evening, Blizzard apologized for the state of Overwatch 2’s launch and announced a major policy change: It will no longer require a phone number to be attached to a Battle.net account for “a majority of existing Overwatch players.”

“We have made the decision to remove phone number requirements for a majority of existing Overwatch players,” the Overwatch team said in a post on Blizzard’s forums. “Any Overwatch player with a connected Battle.net account, which includes all players who have played since June 9, 2021, will not have to provide a phone number to play.”

Blizzard said it plans to change the phone number requirement for Overwatch 2 for existing players by Friday.

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Yeah, it is still in rough shape. Left it queueing for an hour as I did some other shit, got in, played for about 5 minutes, got disconnected, back to another long queue. I have plenty of other stuff to play, but I’ve got that itch. 

Yesterday I kept trying to login and was greeted with 2000 people ahead of me in queue, and after 5 minutes it would just timeout and say error. But then I decided to change my region from America to Europe, and joined the game instantly. Funnily enough, when I played matches my pings were completely normal for America, when usually I'm supposed to get 100+ ping to Euro servers.

• Halal 1

This game is incredible, outside of the queue problems. Bought the BP last night. Currently level 11.

5v5 makes it less frantic, especially without knockback. My girl Pharah is still a hottie boss, and my girl mercy is nursey badass. Tank, ive switched from playing Reinhardt to playing the 4 legged robot lady.

33 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I was thinking about buying the battle pass, considering I'll probably be playing this game a lot, but I dunno. I have enough fun cosmetics from my time with the first game, I'm not all that compelled to get more. 

I'll get the battle pass as it will give me stuff to unlock while I play. I'm just debating if I want to pick up the Watchpoint pack. I have most of the outfits in the pack but I do like the Cassidy and Soldier 76 space raider outfits. It will be technically $30 since it includes the BP. You do also get 2000 in coins. So in reality it's $10! I'd be losing money if I didn't buy it! 

• True 1

1 minute ago, The def star said:

On a side note I was able to get into the game no problem around 6-7am but now as I try to login right now I'm back at 500 queue.

Same. This just might be an AM game for now. :lol: Just now, I was down to 20th in the queue, got disconnected, got back in line with 700, then decided I’m done for the day.

44 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, they aren't going to make servers for current capacity, because in a week or so they wouldn't need it. Millions are probably playing right now. People will drop off and itll be fine.

That’s a fun way to look at it, like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Start with not enough servers, people stop playing because they’re annoyed with long queue times, then suddenly they have the right server capacity!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

That’s a fun way to look at it, like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Start with not enough servers, people stop playing because they’re annoyed with long queue times, then suddenly they have the right server capacity!

Its not qeue times. The natural lifecycle of most games in the zeitgeist is less than 2 weeks. I believe the drop off starts within 10 days. Thats why games like ER, WoW, Fortnite or CoD are so different, sustained growth for months is incredibly rare. 

6 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Its not qeue times. The natural lifecycle of most games in the zeitgeist is less than 2 weeks. I believe the drop off starts within 10 days. Thats why games like ER, WoW, Fortnite or CoD are so different, sustained growth for months is incredibly rare. 

Sure, but I can’t imagine they’re anticipating this game to be a 2 week flash in the pan. Overwatch held onto millions of players for six years, never the most popular game around, but respectable. I bet this launch could really add to those numbers, but only if people can actually play it. I’ll keep trying to get in because I know how much I love the base game, but if I was a newcomer, I probably would have deleted it by now and moved on to something else. 

37 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Sure, but I can’t imagine they’re anticipating this game to be a 2 week flash in the pan. Overwatch held onto millions of players for six years, never the most popular game around, but respectable. I bet this launch could really add to those numbers, but only if people can actually play it. I’ll keep trying to get in because I know how much I love the base game, but if I was a newcomer, I probably would have deleted it by now and moved on to something else. 

I don't think there was anywhere near millions playing after a couple of years, and I think you're underestimating how quickly in drops off.

Overwatch-live-player-count.jpg
ACTIVEPLAYER.IO

On this page you will see Overwatch Live Player Count or the players currently playing the game. How many players playing it on a monthly average...

5-600k average. Which is still great, but it isn't big enough to increase servers they won't need very soon.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I don't think there was anywhere near millions playing after a couple of years, and I think you're underestimating how quickly in drops off.

Overwatch-live-player-count.jpg
ACTIVEPLAYER.IO

On this page you will see Overwatch Live Player Count or the players currently playing the game. How many players playing it on a monthly average...

5-600k average. Which is still great, but it isn't big enough to increase servers they won't need very soon.

You're assuming they are calling up dell/IBM to buy servers. They're likely on Azure since MS has acquired Blizzard which means autoscaling/pay be the hour. Scale up when you have a lot of users, scale back down when you don't.

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think they just underestimated how popular the game would be, especially with how many people were trashing it pre release. Turns out making a super popular game free to play makes it even more popular ! :o

Because it went free to play I'm sure even the people that trashed it tried to play it on launch day :lol:

• True 1