Overwatch 2 OT - Begin Your Watch

The def star

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

$45 skins lololololol

EA fucks players over a barrel with their SIMS expansions (often approaching $45), but at least you get actual new gameplay out of the DLC packs. IMO anything more than $5 for a legendary skin is a rip off and exploitative of people with gambling/addiction/collection tendencies. If I had the power, I'd regulate the games industry so that it would be illegal to collect more than 2x the average price of a game from any individual player in a year period. If an average game is $62, then you can't collect more than $124 from any given player in a 12-month period. That includes DLC, subscription costs, etc.

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

$45 skins lololololol

I've played my fair share of mobile idle games and the people who play these games shell out $60 for a skin like it's no problem. These prices aren't that bad and people will certainly buy them. The $25 one is especially on the mark compared to the ugly Rambo skins that were selling for $20 in Warzone.

1 minute ago, legend said:

"Sure I just had a railroad nail shoved up my ass, but the other day I had my nose broken in multiple places, so it's not that bad when you think about it."

The game is free, you're getting what you want already. So yeah no railroad spikes in your ass here.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

The game is free, you're getting what you want already. So yeah no railroad spikes in your ass here.

In no way does that excuse the pricing model. You think they're releasing the game as free to play out of the goodness of their heart, or because they think they can exploit people for more money by making it "free" and gouging them with other transactions?

17 minutes ago, legend said:

In no way does that excuse the pricing model. You think they're releasing the game as free to play out of the goodness of their heart, or because they think they can exploit people for more money by making it "free" and gouging them with other transactions?

It's a pretty standard pricing model and seems fair in the long run. It's easy to talk trash on the skin without having seen it but if these are close to the DOTA Arcanas then the price is justified. There are plenty of ways to price a free to play game that aren't exploitative and there are things like battle passes that one would gladly shell out some money for a game they like, especially if they paid no money for it at all. There are some people who get off on never paying for anything in a free to play game so it works both ways.

As for this game I think it would be a pretty big failure if it were not free to play and the devs probably figured that as well. If anything it lowers the barrier of entry for those who would not want to shell out $60 bucks for what amounts to a patch.

What do you think is a fair way to go about monetizing a free to play game?

14 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's a pretty standard pricing model

Again, telling me something that's complete dog shit and should be changed about the industry is "standard" is not a compelling argument.

14 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

and seems fair in the long run. It's easy to talk trash on the skin without having seen it but if these are close to the DOTA Arcanas then the price is justified. There are plenty of ways to price a free to play game that aren't exploitative and there are things like battle passes that one would gladly shell out some money for a game they like, especially if they paid no money for it at all. There are some people who get off on never paying for anything in a free to play game so it works both ways.

As for this game I think it would be a pretty big failure if it were not free to play and the devs probably figured that as well. If anything it lowers the barrier of entry for those who would not want to shell out $60 bucks for what amounts to a patch.

What do you think is a fair way to go about monetizing a free to play game?

Well, publishers must love you if you really think a single skin should be priced the same as a game.

All gameplay related content (characters, modes, maps, etc.) being free and cosmetic items that don’t affect gameplay being the only paid content is kinda the generally agreed upon way to handle a competitive F2P game like this. They want to be able to reach a large user base and keep them engaged for years with regular content updates. So then how do you make money? Ads? Gross. Base game is free but pay for new maps/modes? That splits your playerbase every time you put up a new paywall.

I get that it feels kinda icky, especially when for so long a game was just a game that you bought with a set amount of money and you got the whole thing. And that model still applies to most games. This is something else. At least paying a set amount for a skin, no matter how overpriced, is less exploitative than the common loot box/gatcha systems, where you could spend hundreds of dollars and still not get that one skin you want. 

If people choosing to spend money in a frivolous way keeps steady free updates coming to a game I enjoy, that’s alright with me. Of course this whole debate could be moot when the game comes out and is a dud, because it certainly doesn’t seem all that exciting. 

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also like I said sight unseen it's just a "skin" but depending on how much effort was put into it dictates the worth. I think that Snoop Dogg skin is pretty awesome myself and if I played Warzone would have had no issue paying to get that skin.

There is no world where a single skin is worth as much as whole game which includes a huge number of "skins" already. The entire game of Stray costs significantly less than that proposed price point. You are being grossly exploited.

26 minutes ago, legend said:

So as long as I personally prevent myself from being exploited, it's okay for the industry to exploit others?

24 minutes ago, legend said:

There is no world where a single skin is worth as much as whole game which includes a huge number of "skins" already. The entire game of Stray costs significantly less than that proposed price point. You are being grossly exploited.

No it's not okay for the industry to exploit others. But that part seems to be left up to interpretation.

You look at it and see: $30 skin. I'm being exploited

I see many factors:

1. The game is free, you're paying nothing to play it.

2. Someone designed the skin, they deserve compensation. On top of that, are there new voice lines? Special effects, etc, that make it unique?

3. If I like the game, then buying a skin is more like a tip to the developer. And even if  the skin is the price of Stray it's essentially like, "Hey, I bought Overwatch 2 for the price of Stray." When you probably could have been spending $60 on the game had they decided to charge for it.

And skins are special things not everyone pays for them, heck they might not even be for a character you use. But if you love the character you might want to get it, and who knows maybe the skin will go on sale.

As Leon said in a competitive shooter really the only way to have a profitable game is to do a battle pass or cosmetics. For me Battle Passes are completely fair and skins are fine especially if you play the game regularly. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No it's not okay for the industry to exploit others. But that part seems to be left up to interpretation.

You look at it and see: $30 skin. I'm being exploited

I see many factors:

1. The game is free, you're paying nothing to play it.

2. Someone designed the skin, they deserve compensation. On top of that, are there new voice lines? Special effects, etc, that make it unique?

3. If I like the game, then buying a skin is more like a tip to the developer. And even if  the skin is the price of Stray it's essentially like, "Hey, I bought Overwatch 2 for the price of Stray." When you probably could have been spending $60 on the game had they decided to charge for it.

And skins are special things not everyone pays for them, heck they might not even be for a character you use. But if you love the character you might want to get it, and who knows maybe the skin will go on sale.

As Leon said in a competitive shooter really the only way to have a profitable game is to do a battle pass or cosmetics. For me Battle Passes are completely fair and skins are fine especially if you play the game regularly. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

My man, there's a whole world of price range between what they can do and their $45 skin proposal. I'm not asking publishers to do everything for free. I'm even okay with charging for cosmetic items or otherwise. I'm not okay with price gouging and exploiting the weakness of a subset of the population.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ROFL Blizzard’s reputation for perfect launches remains intact! 

I got in for a while, and was messing around with the new and reworked characters in the practice room, then I got kicked out and now I’m back stuck in a queue with “0 players ahead of me”

11 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I got in for a while, and was messing around with the new and reworked characters in the practice room, then I got kicked out and now I’m back stuck in a queue with “0 players ahead of me”

Most launches are like this. Besides the game is free. Quit nitpicking you ungrateful gamer. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Most launches are like this. Besides the game is free. Quit nitpicking you ungrateful gamer. 

It was a DDOS attack:

5JJaLWaq7x5MMMq5ZCFEXj-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Blizzard says that a "mass" denial of service attack is preventing some players from connecting to the game.

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I apologize if this has been covered. I own the PC version (of 1) but am interested in just switching to the PS5 version. Do I miss out on anything? I know it’s free to play now, but I didn’t know if they did some kind of legacy reward?

There's the Founder's Pack for OW1 owners and you should be OK as long as you merge your PS5 account to your Battle.Net account.

B0F1O57XU2HW1660073813379.png
OVERWATCH.BLIZZARD.COM

Your data on your Battle.net and console accounts will be merged for Overwatch 2!
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It was a DDOS attack:

5JJaLWaq7x5MMMq5ZCFEXj-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Blizzard says that a "mass" denial of service attack is preventing some players from connecting to the game.

Good they deserve it, fuck em.

abk_czlNIHb.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Following investigations, the National Labour Relations Board (NLRB) has found that Activision Blizzard withheld raises…

Scumbags

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Yeah, I went from PC to Xbox. All I had to do was connect my Xbox and Blizzard accounts and I had all my old unlocks.

I may have messed it up, but I also think I've linked my accounts before for Diablo. At any rate I can't connect to the server anyway.