Who watches the Watchmen? (Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?), update - HBO confirms no second season

Brick

But they are determined by me. Do I want a Mars bar or a Snickers bar? Up to me. If I am always going to pick the Snickers bar, what does that really say about my own free will?

(Yes I know there is a whole philosophical debate over whether or not free will actually exists)

16 minutes ago, Brick said:

But they are determined by me. Do I want a Mars bar or a Snickers bar? Up to me. If I am always going to pick the Snickers bar, what does that really say about my own free will?

(Yes I know there is a whole philosophical debate over whether or not free will actually exists)

If it's you, why wouldn't you pick the same thing? We're not talking about changing your mind after receiving new information, experiences, etc. We're saying you're determined to pick that thing in that moment. If it was not determined, then you're saying you don't determine it.

My advice would be not to raise the question of "free will" at all because it's a poorly defined term that means different things to different people :p

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brick said:

It's not a question of free will. What seems as something that hasn't happened yet already has, our perception hasn't got there yet. You aren't "always" going to pick snickers, you already did pick it.

22 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I'm not gonna read anything in this thread til I'm all caught up, but I'm 6 episodes in and this show is fucking phenomenal. Wow.

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

I'm only on Episode 6 so I'm not reading any posts in here, but until I get it through the next episodes (likely tonight) I want it known that this show rules.

Just wanted to put these two next to each other for you non thread readers. Hope you like BBD.

Both the Doctor Manhattan and the Nostalgia episodes are two of the most unique and inventive episodes I’ve seen in some time. Any show would be lucky to have just one episode be even half as special as that.

And who else is jazzed about tonight? I think this one is gonna be special. I trust that it will all culminate into something worthwhile.

9 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Both the Doctor Manhattan and the Nostalgia episodes are two of the most unique and inventive episodes I’ve seen in some time. Any show would be lucky to have just one episode be even half as special as that.

And who else is jazzed about tonight? I think this one is gonna be special. I trust that it will all culminate into something worthwhile.

It's all a dream bro 

A great finale to a great season of television. 

The only thing I was worried about was the seventh Cav somehow being capable of killing Manhattan, so I'm glad that they didn't. 

They found ways to wrap up pretty much everything plot wise that I thought was important, and thematically they concluded it wonderfully. I think that Veidt's story was much more fulfilling than I expected. Somehow that he had a specific plan all along made it much more compelling, and I love the idea that he concocted his own adversary and still wasn't pleased in whatever challenges he brought. Even though Dr. Manhattan was only a real character in a few episodes, his story was compelling and beautifully concluded. I like that they left Abar's fate a bit of a mystery.

The only thing that bothered me was that Veidt got knocked on the head. I think thematically it's good he got some comeuppance, but in an episode where you see that he's still capable of catching a bullet, getting knocked out by a dude with a wrench didn't feel very fitting.

I would be perfectly happy if we never got any more Watchmen content, seasons of this show or otherwise. This was an amazing addendum to Watchmen, and certainly the best thing on TV this year.