Equifax Settlement

What a load of shit. Hey, magically find out your shit was stolen when you do. Take $125 or free credit monitoring for us fucking up the evil system we've setup to disenfranchise and control the population. Still want to sue us? Guess what, you've given up that right unless you take neither options and send us an obscure letter stating that YOU WISH TO RETAIN YOUR RIGHTS. America, where you have to opt into your fucking rights if it means protecting the rich and systems that keep them empowered.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/07/25/us/equifax-700-million-settlement-data-breach-trnd/index.html

35 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Yes! The people fucking it up should not profit over letting you see when it happens.

Yes.  You should be able pull your credit at any time, for free, and with no impact to your credit score.  What we have now is absurd.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Yes.  You should be able pull your credit at any time, for free, and with no impact to your credit score.  What we have now is absurd.

Hey now, if you're impacted you get six credit report viewings pretty year instead of one. What more do you need?!

7 minutes ago, Jose said:

Mylendingtree and creditkarma are free. Too few people know, though.

Yeah but Credit Karma is an advertising company, maybe we should have a way to deal with this without dealing with an advertising company. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Yeah but Credit Karma is an advertising company, maybe we should have a way to deal with this without dealing with an advertising company. 

Agreed. Just saying there are free ways of checking your credit without paying money our pulling it. 

Also, WAY too few people know what makes good credit scores. Blows my mind.

16 minutes ago, Jose said:

Agreed. Just saying there are free ways of checking your credit without paying money our pulling it. 

Also, WAY too few people know what makes good credit scores. Blows my mind.

Experian will give you your report for free. At least with them you're dealing with an entity that already has your information instead of giving it to a new one. 

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Am I missing something? I get monthly credit score updates from my CC providers. Doesn't cost anything.

The report is more important than the score. The score by itself doesn't really tell you anything unless your score is unexpectedly in the toilet, whereas a notification about an unexpected hard pull is a realtime indicator of fraud. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Experian will give you your report for free. At least with them you're dealing with an entity that already has your information instead of giving it to a new one. 

The report is more important than the score. The score by itself doesn't really tell you anything unless your score is unexpectedly in the toilet, whereas a notification about an unexpected hard pull is a realtime indicator of fraud. 

What all does the report entail? I get more than just my score, it breaks it down into categories. 

But my score is consistently over 800, so I guess I shouldn’t be too worried. 

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

What all does the report entail? I get more than just my score, it breaks it down into categories. 

But my score is consistently over 800, so I guess I shouldn’t be too worried. 

The report gives a list of accounts, when they were opened (and, if applicable, closed), the most recent balance on them, hard pulls on your report, etc. As well as any derogatory information (e.g. missed payments), if you have any. 

Also the score they show you on those is pretty meaningless, when I went to lease a car they pulled a 700 instead of the near-800 I was expecting, it turns out there isn't one single score, there's different scores depending on what you're applying for. 

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

The report gives a list of accounts, when they were opened (and, if applicable, closed), the most recent balance on them, hard pulls on your report, etc. As well as any derogatory information (e.g. missed payments), if you have any. 

Also the score they show you on those is pretty meaningless, when I went to lease a car they pulled a 700 instead of the near-800 I was expecting, it turns out there isn't one single score, there's different scores depending on what you're applying for. 

Yeah, I'm thinking my Transunion from my Capital One account told me a lot of that info. And I'm not sure how much the scores really differ. In my case, when we went to apply for our mortgage 5 years ago, the  reports they gave us at the bank were pretty on par with what the reports we already had showed. And before that, when I bought my truck, it was pretty consistent, because I qualified for the 0% interest financing. 

I don't think it matters just a ton for us these days, since we're not applying for anything new and have no plans to for the foreseeable future.

15 minutes ago, Jose said:

Experian gives free reports now? I guess times have changed. 

For a while now. At least a year I think. I have the app on my phone, when I apply for a credit card I get an alert immediately (it seems like the vast majority of my hard pulls are through Experian) so it seems like it's pretty good for realtime if I. 

If you haven't already filed a claim for cash compensation in response to the Equifax breach, you might be out of luck. The company is no longer offering payouts in lieu of credit monitoring.

The Federal Trade Commission page devoted to the settlement it announced with Equifax last week was updated July 31 to say that any consumer affected can claim up to 10 years of free credit monitoring. "Previously, a cash payment was identified as an option," the site now adds, "but there are limited funds available."

The FTC said in a statement that "public response to the settlement has been overwhelming." In a separate blog post, the commission said the "unexpected number of claims" would result in claimants not getting the money they thought.

"unexpected"

Been using Experian Boost for a couple years now and love seeing it go up, up, up every month and can actively monitor what's going on.

My greater question is why in the actual hell do we have to submit ourselves to THREE different companies who do the exact same thing yet all with varying impacts on our credit status'?

24 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Been using Experian Boost for a couple years now and love seeing it go up, up, up every month and can actively monitor what's going on.

My greater question is why in the actual hell do we have to submit ourselves to THREE different companies who do the exact same thing yet all with varying impacts on our credit status'?

Imma tell you what Wu told me cash rules everything around me.

• Haha 2

USAJobs.gov or whatever was hit by hackers years ago and I had an application in there. I don't even know if I was hit by it or not but the US Government gave everyone who had an application in the system free credit monitoring for life via MyIDCare. It's very important to have this as it monitors your email accounts to see if they're appearing alongside your passwords on various places on the net, and I get a text + email any time a credit check, loan, etc is done in my name/SS#. Going strictly by your credit score is a bit scary to me, as it's going to take weeks/months before your score would reflect someone taking a loan out in your name; I'd rather know immediately and take care of it on the same day.

• 4 months later...