Update: RIP in Peace, Marvel's Avengers

33 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yeah, I thought Rise of the Tomb Raider was a pretty dumb thing too, and it was after that deal, and the reaction to that deal, that Phil Spencer said he'd prefer not to do those deals in the futture.

That game, being the Tomb Raider IP, is what made the outrage justified.  That is a known IP coming off the big success of the first reboot.  I'm pretty sure it was still being published by Square Enix.  No one believed that game needed Microsoft's help to get made.  So it was a bullshit deal that deserved the outrage, Microsoft paid simply to block it from being on Sony's platform to have an answer for Uncharted 4 most likely.

While not to the level of the Tomb Raider IP, I believe the STALKER 2 deal is cut from the same cloth.  PSO2 is another that could belong in the conversation.  I think Microsoft hoped to lean into their history more than the Tomb Raider deal. 

Sony’s been worse about it lately, to be fair.  FF7R was their Tomb Raider, people just didn’t flip out due to nostalgia bias.

12 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

While not to the level of the Tomb Raider IP, I believe the STALKER 2 deal is cut from the same cloth.  PSO2 is another that could belong in the conversation.  I think Microsoft hoped to lean into their history more than the Tomb Raider deal. 

Sony’s been worse about it lately, to be fair.  FF7R was their Tomb Raider, people just didn’t flip out due to nostalgia bias.

Okay back to Marvel Avengers... haha

Reading impessions things seem pretty mixed.  A lot say they see a lot of potential but with lots of problems.

I still look forward to the beta to try it out myself.  Any Playstation guys gonna be trying it this week?

9 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Marvel + *Square Enix

Typically in these types of the deals the Publisher make the call, not the Developer.

See the Destiny exclusive content on Playstation for a year.  Bungie had openly said they hated doing it, but Activision made those decisions and made the deal with Sony.

As soon as Bungie cut ties with Acitvision, they stopped doing the exclusive content.  The developer is the one left trying to defend the decision to do it, and have to explain to angry fans on other platforms why their version of the game they are paying the same money for is gimped.  

You can already see it from Crystal Dynamics trying to explain why this deal is in place, and promising no other characters will be released this way.

According to Crystal Dynamics, Spiderman would not be in the game at all if it was not for Sony's relationship with Marvel.  That could be for a plethora of reasons (reduced licensing fees,  Spiderman film likeness rights, etc).

Also interestingly:

when it comes down to choices of where and what Spider-Man can be, that's a relationship question that PlayStation absolutely has the rights to

Which suggests that while Sony may not own the game rights outright, they still likely have a say here.

If I had to guess the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.  Sony wants the exclusive content, Square Enix + Crystal want good terms.

11 minutes ago, Duderino said:

According to Crystal Dynamics, Spiderman would not be in the game at all if it was not for Sony's relationship with Marvel.  That could be for a plethora of reasons (reduced licensing fees,  Spiderman film likeness rights, etc).

Also interestingly:

Which suggests that while Sony may not own the game rights outright, they still likely have a say here.

If I had to guess the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.  Sony wants the exclusive content, Square Enix + Crystal want good terms.

Yeah,I read that entire thing as an unfortunate Crystal Dynamics employee trying to explain and address a bunch of angry fans.  The same kind of thing Bungie employees said they hated trying to deal with because the deals made were things they did not want to do or have a say in.

Unless Sony's license agreement with Marvel in games gives them the right to control him in every single Marvel game going forward.  I highly highly doubt Marvel would be dumb enough to sign that away as well given the value of Spiderman. Spiderman is in a ton of the other Marvel games.  So Sony has said its okay for him to be in every other Marvel game on all platforms, but for this Avenger game we are going to block it and make it exclusive to Playstation?  I think it's a lot of PR speak trying to calm down all the pissed off fans.  Crystal Dynamics tried to say the same thing about Tomb Raider too when they were getting a bunch of anger.  That they may not have made another Tomb Raider without the help of Microsoft.

Then they try to move on and talk about how its a game for everyone, and they already have hundreds of hours of content and 2 new characters announced in a few days.  It's all just trying to brush this issue over since so many people are upset.  Even a lot of Playstation owners are pissed that also have gaming PCs.  Now they can't play with Spiderman on their beefy PC's at 144fps because Sony blocked it, even though they also are also Sony customers.  The only people that are okay with this are Sony fanboys that feel like it's an extra bullet point for their Console War Checklist. 

4 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Crystal Dynamics did just clarify that they had to do business with more than Marvel to get Spiderman in the Avengers game.

That shouldn't really come as a surprise.  While Marvel does not need Sony's permission to use Spiderman in video games they could still violate the terms if they lean on the films.

7 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yeah, I read that entire thing as an unfortunate Crystal Dynamics employee trying to explain and address a bunch of angry fans.  The same kind of thing Bungie employees said they hated trying to deal with because the deals made were things they did not want to do or have a say in.

Unless Sony's license agreement with Marvel in games gives them the right to control him in every single Marvel game going forward.  I highly highly doubt Marvel would be dumb enough to sign that away as well given the value of Spiderman. Spiderman is in a ton of the other Marvel games.  So Sony has said its okay for him to be in every other Marvel game on all platforms, but for this Avenger game we are going to block it and make it exclusive to Playstation?  I think it's a lot of PR speak trying to calm down all the pissed off fans.  Crystal Dynamics tried to say the same thing about Tomb Raider too when they were getting a bunch of anger.  That they may not have made another Tomb Raider without the help of Microsoft.

Then they try to move on and talk about how its a game for everyone, and they already have hundreds of hours of content and 2 new characters announced in a few days.  It's all just trying to brush this issue over since so many people are upset.  Even a lot of Playstation owners are pissed that also have gaming PCs.  Now they can't play with Spiderman on their beefy PC's at 144fps because Sony blocked it, even though they also are also Sony customers.  The only people that are okay with this are Sony fanboys that feel like it's an extra bullet point for their Console War Checklist. 

Yeah that guy's explanation was bullshit. He basically said if I wanted a burger and the guy behind the counter handed me a hot dog, that I should just be happy because they are both meat in a bun.

• Haha 1

The Marvel’s Avengers beta gives me big Anthem vibes (VG 24/7)

Dedicated readers of VG247 might find that steak analogy at the top of the article familiar, by the way. That’s because I’ve used it before, about another service game which also clearly studied Destiny and other similar action-adventure-RPG-multiplayer games – Anthem. As with Avengers, in the run-up to that game’s release I yo-yoed back and forth: some elements of it were absolutely incredible (indeed, Avengers’ Iron Man could learn a little from how Anthem’s flying freelancer mechs control), and sometimes the game genuinely wowed – but at the same time, it seemed like a game that was running the risk of being less than the sum of its parts. As we zeroed in on release, it felt like Anthem could go either way, and we all know which way it went.

This feels harsh to say because a great deal of care and attention has clearly gone into Avengers – but so far it just isn’t working for me as much more than brain-off button mashing and visual fancy. Which is fine; one thing this game has that Anthem didn’t is a killer license attached, and maybe this little rollercoaster will be more than enough for that audience. But a game like this also demands that you’re willing to pump tens or hundreds of hours into it over a long time, sticking with it as its content pool grows and expands post-launch. Nothing of Avengers I’ve played so far suggests I’d be particularly over-eager to stick around beyond enjoying its narrative.

So, like Anthem pre-launch, Marvel’s Avengers feels like it could go either way. This is a game that truly might click and be held together on the strength of its solo missions, or its post-game multiplayer raid content, or something else we’re yet to see. For now, however, the beta has left me feeling the same way as the last few hands-on opportunities: sometimes intrigued, sometimes wowed… but almost always unsure. I hope the final product sticks the landing.

Marvel's Avengers Hands-On Preview - Avengers Assemble (PowerUp Gaming)

In spite of the issues though, Marvel’s Avengers is shaping up to be my absolute favourite GaaS title and THE game I dedicate most of my time to going forward. Not only does it have terrific combat, a dangerously addictive loot and gameplay loop and a superhero take on Diablo, it also has The Avengers; arguably the hottest pop-culture IP in existence today.

After 9 Hours, Marvel's Avengers Spends a Lot of Time Fighting Itself (USgamer)

Marvel's Avengers is an uneven experience. The core of combat is well-designed, but with a full group of heroes, it just becomes a wild mosh pit of flashy powers. Certain characters don't gel well with the more linear level design of the story campaign. The inability to pick the same character means you could put hours in your favorite hero, only to find yourself being unable to play them because your friend uses the same one. And while I'm fine with the system of unlocking costumes, I think how those costumes are parcelled out should be changed.

Marvel’s Avengers Is Having An Identity Crisis (Kotaku Australia)

In the end, the beta does little to carve out its own identity — even from similar games — and instead relies on the Marvel brand name. With such a rich history to draw from, the lack of innovation is disappointing.

Marvel’s Avengers features an intriguing premise that vibes with the current state of the world. Its opening chapters show off a flair and intrigue that should carry the game and its a genuine joy to play at times. Unfortunately, it’s backed up by fairly ordinary mission-based quests that don’t really do anything different or exciting.

I wanted to see more of the Avengers story rather than vignettes of fun combat and multiplayer gameplay that feels unnecessarily shoehorned in. Marvel’s Avengers is mechanically fun with great potential, but at the moment it feels far too ordinary to be remarkable.

Marvel's Avengers Beta Impressions: Some Assembly Required (Gamespot)

The beta left me most interested in the story campaign of Marvel's Avengers, though, and that seems like the place where the game has the most potential. Kamala is a great lens through which to view the established characters of the core Avengers team; she's a fan and an audience surrogate, engaging with the superheroes in a very human way. In general, Marvel's Avengers feels like it's continuing all the best aspects of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's Avengers characters, telling a story in the vein of Captain America: Civil War or Avengers: Infinity War. They're flawed and conflicted, and sometimes, they fail in painful and devastating ways. The writing and voice acting seem strong enough in the beta snapshot to support that kind of story, and it's easily what has me most excited for Marvel's Avengers.

Much of the rest is more of a wait-and-see situation. I'm not thrilled by the generic-looking AIM bunkers or the somewhat unfocused feel of the multiplayer missions, and it's much too early to really get a sense of whether the gear grind in Avengers will feel especially meaningful from a gameplay perspective. But I found myself becoming a fan of the game's combat and characters, especially as I developed them. I'm not sure Marvel's Avengers is a game that will support you playing a whole bunch of characters--it seems a little too confusing and a little too big an investment to try to get good at more than a small handful of heroes--but the idea of playing with a core group of friends who each specialize in one or two Avengers to make a cohesive, capable team is pretty compelling. There are still a lot of unknowns with Marvel's Avengers, but with a better sense of the game, there are aspects that are promising.

Marvel’s Avengers Beta Impressions: Our 6 Big Takeaways from Our Time With It (GamingBolt)

For many, the story will be the biggest reason to play Marvel’s Avengers. Crystal Dynamics have the privilege of working with a legendary media property, full of universally beloved and popular characters, and so many years of storytelling to pull from and be inspired by. Telling a good story that resonates with players and portraying these characters properly is one of the most important tasks for this game. Thankfully, from what I’ve seen in the beta, they’re on the right track.

I don’t have a full picture yet, of course. I haven’t seen a lot of the main story – only some sections from the opening hours of the game – and even then, the beta has taken out some cinematics and sections to preserve spoilers. But Marvel’s Avengers seems to be doing a good job of bringing these characters to life. Their personalities seem as well fleshed out as they should be, performances from the actors are all hitting the right notes, and the interactions between them are all hinting at some great narrative moments.

It remains to be seen how well this will turn out in the full game, and how well the narrative will stick the landing over the course of a much longer experience, but based on what I’ve seen in the beta, I’m optimistic.

Marvel’s Avengers Beta Hands-On Preview – Assemble! (PlayStation Lifestyle)

The Marvel’s Avengers Beta makes one thing clear: This game is about building your unique group of heroes, from how they look to how they play. It’s a rather limited look despite its massive size and staggering amount of content (all of which I didn’t even fully complete before the servers closed). Early betas like this aren’t meant to fully encompass the endgame pursuits, which is where Marvel’s Avengers will be put to the real test, but this glimpse offers a promising future for an Avengers game long in the making.

The Marvel’s Avengers beta teases the superhero RPG I’ve always wanted (Polygon)

After 10 hours in the beta, I walked away excited for Marvel’s Avengers’ Sept. 4 release date. But RPG systems can be hard to grasp in a single beta weekend. Never forget that BioWare’s Anthem demoed very well in its limited beta, despite being an unmitigated disaster at launch. While I have hope Marvel’s Avengers won’t be a repeat of Anthem, I’ve been fooled by RPG betas before — even if the Avengers beta has more varied content than Anthem’s ever did.

There are still other potential pitfalls for Marvel’s Avengers. Will the game be as fun to play for 100 hours as it was for 10? And the recent news of Spider-Man’s exclusivity to PlayStation consoles gives me pause. But if Marvel’s Avengers can maintain the level of quality in the beta for an entire campaign and post-game loot grind, it could be exactly what Marvel fans like myself have wanted for years.

Marvel’s Avengers Beta Impressions – Assembly Still Required (Game Informer)

Unfortunately, I can’t escape a sense of plodding sameness and tedium at the center of the action. Avengers frequently reminds me of the brawling comic-book movie games of the late 2000s, in which button-mashy battles, canned animations, and too-often repeated quips failed to elicit laughter or engagement. Here, that style of action features the addition of potential other players joining in on the fight, but more often than not, those extra onscreen characters lead to exchanges that are confusing to look at, and all blur together, as an array of animated sequences fire off all at once, with little sense of reactivity between the characters I’m looking at. Even when enemies sometimes do respond to my punches, I usually feel like the battles are simply a matter of me moving from one bad guy to the next, tapping wildly on the attack buttons as I watch a health bar deplete. Recent years have given us the melee combat systems of games like God of War and Spider-Man, and by comparison, Avengers often feels archaic.

I’m a dedicated Marvel comic-book enthusiast, and have been since childhood. And living games like Destiny have emerged as a big part of my gaming hobby in recent years – a formula that Avengers is clearly trying to emulate in some regards. I am squarely in the target audience for Marvel's Avengers video game. And yet, my early hours with Marvel’s Avengers left me cold. The combat feels stale, the art style is generic, the storytelling didn’t grab my attention, and the sense of character development didn’t leave me excited to move forward. There’s no doubt that Crystal Dynamics is a talented development studio, and the team has already been active in discussing plans beyond launch. And these kinds of games are always changing and evolving, so I absolutely wouldn't write off the game as a whole. But even as I plan to play more of the public beta in the coming days, I’m forced to offer caution at this juncture. A month before actual launch, the Avengers need a lot of work to be ready for the big fight ahead.

Marvel's Avengers Beta: The Final Preview (IGN)

But Marvel’s Avengers’ most glaring issue, at least during the beta is its gear system. The real draw to get people to grind these endless war zones is the chance to loot something great, and so far, I haven’t cared about a single thing that’s dropped for me. First off, none of it changes the actual look or feel of your character. Every item is an invisible piece that just counts up to an overall gear score. You may find a pair of gloves that slightly improve your normal attacks, but most of these just offer elemental bonuses and are almost invisible in the actual gameplay. When your gear screen has a button you can press to just automatically equip the highest-numbered gear you have, it makes it seem as though there are few meaningful choices to be made. Everything drives to a single power level number, and when so many games have solved this uninteresting way to sort through loot, it’s a tad disappointing to feel like you’ve gone back in time.

Marvel’s Avengers has a long way to go. The story and characters are interesting, and I actually can’t wait to see it through. The campaign missions in this beta seemed varied enough, and hopefully, that keeps up. And while live-service games often come with the adage of “it’s not how they launch, it's what they become,” I’m worried that there’s currently very little that would keep my interest to play past the campaign. With a slew of promised, completely free updates, and a nearly limitless amount of source material to make additional content from, Marvel’s Avengers could end up being great – or it could very quickly get Thanos-snapped from its community’s mind.

Marvel's Avengers Preview: Rising From The Ashes (CG Magazine Online)

Much like the comics that it is based on, the Marvel’s Avengers beta has wonderful highs and disappointing lows. The teams at Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal have successfully distilled the Avengers into their most pure form, with each one feeling distinct and enjoyable to play as. It’s a shame that they’re hampered by graphical and technical hiccups, but the fighting system and wacky abilities carry the experience and lead to an overall enjoyable package. The full game is set to release on September 4th with a pre-order beta running from August 7th to 9th and a public beta which goes from August 14th to 16th.

I Played The Avengers Beta And I'm Not Excited (Kotaku)

I want to be excited by Marvel’s Avengers. Maybe it will happen as I continue through the beta weekends leading up to the September 4 launch. Maybe I’ll get invested in my characters’ talent trees, or I’ll understand the random stat enhancements (complete with arbitrary decimal points) granted by my equipment, adding a more thrilling element to opening random chests on robot-littered battlefields. Avengers should be a dream come true to lifelong Marvel Comics fan like myself. It should bring me endless joy. I’m not feeling that joy so far, but I’m not giving up yet.

Marvel's Avengers has potential, but the beta leaves us with more questions than answers (GamesRadar+)

On top of that, the missions I played didn't really offer too much for strategic teamwork. No objectives really felt like we'd need to think about each hero's individual abilities, such as Iron Man's ability to fly or Kamala's elastic limbs, which makes sense if you decide to tackle missions with AI companions (who, to be fair, are pretty intelligent and help out a fair bit if you do decide you don't want to play online) but means each level we face ends not requiring too much thought. On top of that, outside of the occasional superpower - such as Black Widow being able to make squadmates invisible - there's little in the way of specific power link-up in the beta, which again diluted the power fantasy. Hopefully the final game will offer some hero specific puzzles, especially considering that Iconic missions in the game will put the focus on a particular hero. 

Despite both the shortcomings and promises, it's still hard to see if Marvel's Avengers can achieve its lofty ambitions. In its weaker moments, it's hard not to think that focusing on a single element like simplifying the looting or adding more concrete differences to the combat could make for a better moment-to-moment experience. Likewise, is this a game for players of Destiny who want to swap Bungie's shooter for a Marvel-flavoured world or MCU fans who want to fill the space between films with a different type of comic book wish fulfillment? If Crystal Dynamics can figure out how to smooth off some of the more noticeable joins, then it might just appeal to both audiences.  

Marvel’s Avengers beta shows promise for Earth’s Mightiest Heroes (TheSixthAxis)

The Marvel’s Avengers beta gives more than a quick glimpse of what to expect from Crystal Dynamics newest game. This is a large helping of content from the game and after spending a few hours picking away at it, we’ve come away finally understanding exactly what this game is and what the Tomb Raider studio is trying to achieve. So far it’s coming together nicely, and while not exactly revolutionary we’re impressed with how it enables a group of radically different Avengers to fight side-by-side. Let’s just hope the story can inherit some of that MCU magic and that we see more mission variety when the game finally touches down on September 4th.

9 hours ago, Duderino said:

Also interestingly:

They just cut a deal I doubt they are going to say anything negative about Sony on getting Spider-man in the game.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They just cut a deal I doubt they are going to say anything negative about Sony on getting Spider-man in the game.

Exactly.  Crystal Dynamics is not going to spill the beans on the term details outside of saying working with Sony was necessary.

10 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

So no Playstation guys in here playing this to give their own impressions?

I watched it being played. Mostly the single player stuff which seems to be an introduction to all the characters, then you get to a point where there's a hub and you have to matchmake and it turns into Destiny but I guess matchmaking is broken for the first mission.

Seemed fine. A lot of motion blur and DoF in the game. Captain America seemed cool.

4 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

The whole game sucks because of some promotional skins that will probably unlock for everyone after the promotion expires? Skillup is an asswipe. Guess his SquareEnix check bounced.

Well he had already said he thought the game sucks before these promos.  I've seen enough people state the same feelings after playing the demo that I think it'll get a lot of mixed reactions.

It's also why it may be wise not to piss off 2/3 of your potential player base before people can play it.  If someone goes into the game with negative feelings chances are they'll find reasons not to like it.

I've seen a large enough number of people saying they need to delay it.  Really curious to try it for myself soon.

Yeah I dont care about the cosmetic stuff.  Games have been doing these promos for so long now.  It just feels this game has more of these partnerships than most games, but that Avengers license can't be cheap.

The supposed Virgin Mobile skins look pretty unique though.

cewagidnquf51.png?width=775&format=png&a

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wonder if all of the folks pissed about these promotional skins are JUST as pissed about the constant exclusive content that Twitch Prime users get? I've lost track of the amount of exclusive skins that are available for Doom Eternal through Twitch since it came out.

Probably not because a lot of Twtich stuff is for free to play games or mobile games.

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Probably not because a lot of Twtich stuff is for free to play games or mobile games.

Doom Eternal isn't Free to Play... Neither is PUBG. Destiny 2, Red Dead Online, GTA Online, FIFA... none of those are free to play or mobile games. In fact those are some of the biggest online games  out right now and they all have Twitch Prime Loot... some of it exclusive to Twitch Prime.

25 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Destiny 2

Destiny 2 is free to play and a the Twitch prime content was like year one exotics or crap that was old in the game already.

Most of the stuff on there NOW is free to play. And I believe they had some PUBG stuff that is for PUBG mobile which is free to play. The rewards for the paid games are not substantial.