Update: RIP in Peace, Marvel's Avengers

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Destiny 2 is free to play and a the Twitch prime content was like year one exotics or crap that was old in the game already.

Most of the stuff on there NOW is free to play. And I believe they had some PUBG stuff that is for PUBG mobile which is free to play. The rewards for the paid games are not substantial.

You're right... just like the cosmetics for this Avengers game. Those aren't substantial either. And Destiny 2 wasn't ALWAYS free to play and the PUBG rewards weren't JUST for PUBG mobile. I HAVE Twitch prime and PUBG and redeemed stuff for the main PUBG game. And again, Doom Eternal CONTINUES to release exclusive skins via Twitch Prime and no one complains at all. My ultimate point is that what this Avengers game is doing isn't anything new... neither is gamers' inconsistent and selective outrage.

EDIT: GTA Online and Red Dead 2 Online have straight up XP boosts and in game currency only available to Twitch Prime users.... That's not a bigger deal than a couple of ugly skins?

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

EDIT: GTA Online and Red Dead 2 Online have straight up XP boosts and in game currency only available to Twitch Prime users.... That's not a bigger deal than a couple of ugly skins?

I dunno. I've never played either game. :p

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

The game just looks boring to me. Im going to try it in Beta at the end of the month, but I cannot imagine being less excited. I hope I’m wrong and the gameplay is fun, but I have very low expectations for it. I just don’t see how the Avengers translate to a persistent multiplayer world where the majority will end up playing the same 2 or 3 top characters. 

when Spider-Man is added into it on PS4, you won’t be able to find another superhero on that platform for miles. 

God I hope I’m wrong.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

The game just looks boring to me. Im going to try it in Beta at the end of the month, but I cannot imagine being less excited. I hope I’m wrong and the gameplay is fun, but I have very low expectations for it. I just don’t see how the Avengers translate to a persistent multiplayer world where the majority will end up playing the same 2 or 3 top characters. 

when Spider-Man is added into it on PS4, you won’t be able to find another superhero on that platform for miles. 

God I hope I’m wrong.

Well each "Squad" can only have 1 of each character, so if you matchmake or play with friends, better determine who gets to play as Spidey.

6 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Well each "Squad" can only have 1 of each character, so if you matchmake or play with friends, better determine who gets to play as Spidey.

Thats why I think this is going to be a problem. Any LFG is going to take forever. Again, I hope I’m wrong, but I foresee problems getting people to play characters that are “less fun”. Consensus by some “critics” is absolutely that some characters aren’t that much fun to play. 

If it has a good campaign, I’m going to play it. I guess I would have preferred a bigger, more polished single player game. That’s personal. But I just  don’t have faith in mp being great.

MP may be more...awkward...in the beginning (when playing with friends, can always play by yourself with your team), but as they release more characters it will improve. I'm more excited for the MP aspect than the campaign at this stage. Can't wait to open up the giant world and go kick some ass.

Marvel's Avengers endgame will look nothing like its beta (GamesRadar+)

Marvel's Avengers has an endgame and it's not the one you're thinking of. There won't be any Infinity Gauntlet shenanigans or Black Widow hurling herself off a cliff – and instead of Iron Man sacrificing himself for the greater good, we may get Captain America returning from the dead. 

The endgame for Marvel's Avengers is technically nonexistent, as it's a live-service game with a content and patch pipeline stretching years into the future, promising the addition of superheroes beyond Hawkeye and the PS4-exclusive Spider-Man. But according to Crystal Dynamics, if you play the Marvel's Avengers beta, you'll only get a tasting menu of the smorgasbord that awaits you in the full-fat game.

I sat down with creative director Shaun Escayg and head of combat Vince Napoli to chat about the beta and the future of Crystal Dynamic's take on the most famous band of heroes, and discovered there's a lot more than meets the eye – wait, wrong universe.

The Big Marvel’s Avengers Interview – Crystal Dynamics on Endgame, Polish, and Spider-Man (Wccftech)

Following our hands-on with the Marvel's Avengers beta, which goes public tomorrow for PlayStation 4 pre-order customers, we had the opportunity to sit down with two of the leading developers on this project, Creative Director Shaun Escayg (Uncharted: The Lost Legacy) and Combat Director Vince Napoli (God of War), for a roundtable interview which also featured colleagues Richard Walker from Xbox Achievements/PlayStation Trophies and Stefan Langford from The SixthAxis.

We've transcribed the whole 30-plus-minutes chat below, which is chock-full of details on the game's story, gameplay, endgame, balance, and of course Spider-Man. Grab a cup of coffee or whatever is your favorite drink, sit back and enjoy.

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Still so much of the "Well that's above our heads, we can't speak on that" (Concerning spider-man). Well here's an idea, how about they talk to somebody that CAN speak on that? Get Squeenix or Marvel on the phone.

Apparently it's not just Spiderman as a playable character, it's a storyline, complete with villains that are also exclusive to Playstation. That's a flat-out raw fucking deal, and there needs to be something extra on the other platforms to balance it out, not just exclude it. It's a lesser product that people are being expected to pay the same amount of money for, plain and simple. The fact that nobody is asking them why they haven't done this is irritating as shit.

15 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Still so much of the "Well that's above our heads, we can't speak on that" (Concerning spider-man). Well here's an idea, how about they talk to somebody that CAN speak on that? Get Squeenix or Marvel on the phone.

Apparently it's not just Spiderman as a playable character, it's a storyline, complete with villains that are also exclusive to Playstation. That's a flat-out raw fucking deal, and there needs to be something extra on the other platforms to balance it out, not just exclude it. It's a lesser product that people are being expected to pay the same amount of money for, plain and simple. The fact that nobody is asking them why they haven't done this is irritating as shit.

It's the same bullshit Bungie had to deal with with Destiny, only in their case it was timed exclusivity for content.  They had to deal with the hate and questions about content being locked off for people paying the same price.  The developers dread it, I'm sure Crystal Dynamics hates it too.

I honestly feel this game is going to end up not doing nearly as well as their ambitions are for it.  So much of the feedback I'm reading is really mixed with it skewing more negative than positive.  So many will go into this playing this game with negative bias due to the Spiderman stuff, and it'll largely shape the reactions more negative than it maybe deserves.

I understand money talks, and Sony probably paid a boat load for exclusive Spiderman, but to piss off 2/3 of your potential customers before launching a game that you want to be as huge as possible for potential micro-transactions and other things, seems so short sighted.

Regardless I cant wait to try it for myself, as I'm a sucker for Loot RPG type games.  Was hoping this would scratch the itch and offer something new, so we'll see.

14 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

It's the same bullshit Bungie had to deal with with Destiny, only in their case it was timed exclusivity for content.  They had to deal with the hate and questions about content being locked off for people paying the same price.  The developers dread it, I'm sure Crystal Dynamics hates it too.

I honestly feel this game is going to end up not doing nearly as well as their ambitions are for it.  So much of the feedback I'm reading is really mixed with it skewing more negative than positive.  So many will go into this playing this game with negative bias due to the Spiderman stuff, and it'll largely shape the reactions more negative than it maybe deserves.

I understand money talks, and Sony probably paid a boat load for exclusive Spiderman, but to piss off 2/3 of your potential customers before launching a game that you want to be as huge as possible for potential micro-transactions and other things, seems so short sighted.

Regardless I cant wait to try it for myself, as I'm a sucker for Loot RPG type games.  Was hoping this would scratch the itch and offer something new, so we'll see.

I'm a sucker for beat 'em ups, which is basically what this is gonna be. It's tempting as hell, but people always say to vote with your wallet, and I might just have to do that this time. 

I would love to be a fly on the wall at Crystal Dynamics. Like you said, the developers had no say in it and they're likely just as bummed at the negative feedback, but they gotta be lobbying for something else. At least an explanation. If I were these guys I'd be like "hey we're gonna do this interview, you know they're going to ask this question, you need to give us something to work with." Not just this "well it's the relationship between Marvel and Sony" bullshit. Marvel don't give a fuck who ends up in what. They weren't the ones banging on CD or Squeenix's door begging and pleading for SpiderMan to be in the game. This was a dick move between Sony and Squeenix and everybody knows it, and Squeenix and CD should have their feet held to the fire and forced to answer the question, "So what are you going to do about it?"

But the journos won't do that, and the developers will never have an interview with somebody who will. I'm just bummed because I personally have nothing to look forward to here. I have a base PS4, but I would rather play it on my One X and eventually on my Series X. I don't want to play it on PS4. With Spiderman being my favorite Marvel character since I was a kid (still have all my spidey comics too) this is a huge slap in the face and I personally won't reward Sony by buying it on that console. 

If Crystal Dynamics popped up and said there would be a non-Sony exclusive Xmen storyline, that may be enough to sway me to buy it on Xbox, but as it stands right now, their stunt-double Avengers aren't enough.

Crystal Dynamics, imagine Eidos Montreal - they aren't just Square Enix's whipping boy, they're also Crystal Dynamics'. They could have been making a new Thief or Deus Ex game (which I imagine is absolutely what they want to do) but instead were forced to finish out the Tomb Raider trilogy for Crystal Dynamics by making Shadow of the Tomb Raider (this is after providing support on the first two reboot Tomb Raider games for Crystal Dynamics) and then help them with this game as part of a deal with Marvel through Square Enix.

As a person who was a huge fan of Human Revolution and Mankind Divided and saw potential with their Thief reboot, it's a shame.

9 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm a sucker for beat 'em ups, which is basically what this is gonna be. It's tempting as hell, but people always say to vote with your wallet, and I might just have to do that this time. 

I would love to be a fly on the wall at Crystal Dynamics. Like you said, the developers had no say in it and they're likely just as bummed at the negative feedback, but they gotta be lobbying for something else. At least an explanation. If I were these guys I'd be like "hey we're gonna do this interview, you know they're going to ask this question, you need to give us something to work with." Not just this "well it's the relationship between Marvel and Sony" bullshit. Marvel don't give a fuck who ends up in what. They weren't the ones banging on CD or Squeenix's door begging and pleading for SpiderMan to be in the game. This was a dick move between Sony and Squeenix and everybody knows it, and Squeenix and CD should have their feet held to the fire and forced to answer the question, "So what are you going to do about it?"

But the journos won't do that, and the developers will never have an interview with somebody who will.

There isn't anything to explain though, everyone knows what it is.  Sony paid a lot of money to Square Enix for Spiderman to be exclusive to Playstaion.   There isn't much else to say about it.  It's a business deal, and Sony paid for their version to be the only one to get the content.

If Microsoft or Stadia want to pay a large sum of money to gate a character for their platform, I'm sure Square Enix will happily accept the money.  But at the end of the day, blocking content off other platforms doesn't make your version any better, it just artificially makes the other versions worse.  it's dumb.  

I also own PlayStation 4 and have bought plenty of games on it.  I planned to play this on PC originally, cause I assumed it would be cross play.  They are punishing their own customers and owners of Playstation by forcing us to play this game on the most inferior hardware to get content that should be available to everyone.  And the fact there is no cross play or cross progressions is also bullshit, and most likely due to Sony's deal to block shit.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Crystal Dynamics, imagine Eidos Montreal - they aren't just Square Enix's whipping boy, they're also Crystal Dynamics'. They could have been making a new Thief or Deus Ex game (which I imagine is absolutely what they want to do) but instead were forced to finish out the Tomb Raider trilogy for Crystal Dynamics by making Shadow of the Tomb Raider (this is after providing support on the first two reboot Tomb Raider games for Crystal Dynamics) and then help them with this game as part of a deal with Marvel through Square Enix.

As a person who was a huge fan of Human Revolution and Mankind Divided and saw potential with their Thief reboot, it's a shame.

Not to mention a Soul Reaver remake/sequel would be excellent. I don't count Soul Reaver 2. Though LoK:Defiance was good.

28 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

24 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Not to mention a Soul Reaver remake/sequel would be excellent. I don't count Soul Reaver 2. Though LoK:Defiance was good.

You guys are totally overlooking the best game they ever made: Gex

Get me an XboxSEX Gex ASAP!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm a fan of the whole franchise (Blood Omen 2 being the . . . weird one) but without Amy Hennig I just don't see Crystal Dynamics returning to Legacy of Kain in any real, proper way (as much as I'd love it). All we got were horrible potential spin-offs like Dead Sun and Nosgoth. But yes, Crystal Dynamics should be pumping out triple AAA Legacy of Kain and Tomb Raider games, not . . . this.

I am surprised though, I really liked Soul Reaver 2 and most seem too? Surprised - if you don't count Soul Reaver 2 you probably don't count Blood Omen 2 either (though that's in an alternate timeline anyway). 

Man, imagine a Dark Souls-like or Tsushima-style open-world like (or God of War semi-open world-type) Legacy of Kain remake combining Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1's worlds, towns, etc. 

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm a fan of the whole franchise (Blood Omen 2 being the . . . weird one) but without Amy Hennig I just don't see Crystal Dynamics returning to Legacy of Kain in any real, proper way (as much as I'd love it). All we got were horrible potential spin-offs like Dead Sun and Nosgoth. But yes, Crystal Dynamics should be pumping out triple AAA Legacy of Kain and Tomb Raider games, not . . . this.

I am surprised though, I really liked Soul Reaver 2 and most seem too? Surprised - if you don't count Soul Reaver 2 you probably don't count Blood Omen 2 either (though that's in an alternate timeline anyway). 

Man, imagine a Dark Souls-like or Tsushima-style open-world like (or God of War semi-open world-type) Legacy of Kain remake combining Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1's worlds, towns, etc. 

Honestly I'll have to go back and take a look at Soul Reaver 2. I might be thinking of something else.

7 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Honestly I'll have to go back and take a look at Soul Reaver 2. I might be thinking of something else.

Not that it is by any means definitive but going off of the critic and user ratings on metacritic, it appears this is the consensus from best to worst (with Blood Omen 2 the only one being outright "bad"). There's no question there was a drop-off in quality after Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1. Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance are pretty evenly matched and are good enough but are a clear step down from the first two games. Blood Omen 2 has always been the odd one out.

-Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

-Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2

-Legacy of Kain: Defiance

-Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain

I don't mind Crystal Dynamics working on this game.  I love Looters, and actually am a fan as GAAS when they are done right.  I'd much rather a game I love and enjoy continue to evolve and add content so I can keep revisiting that world, rather than it be a one and done experience that ends.  I think the Avengers is a great title to do something like this with. 

We have a lot of Hero Shooters adding new characters every season, so Avengers is something that works perfectly in that model, if they can churn out characters that fast.  Games like Apex add what, 4 characters a year to a competitive shooter.  A game like Avengers I think could realistically do 3-4 a year, depending on how deep the loot and character customization really is.

I just wish a game like this had people on all platforms just excited to get their hands on it to try it out, instead, 2/3 are looking for a reason to bash the game now and say it's gonna flop and hope it flops to try and push back against this behavior by Publishers.

Haters gunna hate. If they want to play as Spider-Man so bad they can get the Play Station version, otherwise STFU and enjoy the game they probably never were really intetested in anyway. Otherwise I couldn't care less.

Game is looking sick. Free content for years, paid dlc cosmetics only, online matchmaking for all modes including raids(only mode that can't be played solo with AI companions), Avengers IP practically gaurentees successfull sales. I'm stoked.

55 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Haters gunna hate. If they want to play as Spider-Man so bad they can get the Play Station version, otherwise STFU and enjoy the game they probably never were really intetested in anyway. Otherwise I couldn't care less.

Game is looking sick. Free content for years, paid dlc cosmetics only, online matchmaking for all modes including raids(only mode that can't be played solo with AI companions), Avengers IP practically gaurentees successfull sales. I'm stoked.

It still doesn’t look good.

• Haha 1

Saddest part is, the Sony exclusivity thing didn't work with me at least. I'm still getting the Xbox version because other mitigating factors that outweigh me having access to Spider-Man. But i'm sure it will sway some people....hopefully more than they've driven away from the game completely

4 hours ago, ARZ said:

Saddest part is, the Sony exclusivity thing didn't work with me at least. I'm still getting the Xbox version because other mitigating factors that outweigh me having access to Spider-Man. But i'm sure it will sway some people....hopefully more than they've driven away from the game completely

Didn't work on me either... I STILL got it for Xbox and I LOVE Spiderman. Not that much though.

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

It still doesn’t look good.

Neither did Ghost of Tsushima according to a lot of you guys on the internets.

• Haha 1