Any of you use a streaming stick?

My tv handles most of my streaming apps now. When I want to view them on my projector, I switch it over to my Xbox One X. I got an Apple TV as well, but it ain’t a 4K box :( It was a hand-me down from my cousin when they upgraded to a 4K tv/Apple box

7 hours ago, Jason said:

I don't know if you have one, but lately I've just been using my PS4 as a streaming box. 

That's what i currently use but it doesn't have DC Universe or Shudder. Sometimes i also want to use Vita remote play while watching Netflix on my TV and i can't do that currently.

I mostly use my TiVo, but I also use a Chromecast for a bunch of stuff. In the past I've used a Fire TV, Apple TV, and I have a Roku TV. I think the chromecast really shines with random stuff that you don't want to use all the time. Yesterday I wanted to watch an Indy Car race that I hadn't recorded, so I downloaded the NBC Sports app, logged in with my cable credentials, and was able to cast it. That whole process is easy on my phone/iPad with a Chromecast, but it's a pain to find a new app and login on most streaming boxes. For something like Netflix that you watch all the time, it's so much nicer to have a real interface and a remote, so while I like having a Chromecast, I wouldn't recommend it be the only streaming option on a TV.  The quality of Chromecast apps is also extremely variable, but that's a longer rant.

For most people, I think the Roku is probably the best option. It's cheap, easy to use, and will allow you to stream pretty much everything. The interface is kinda ugly, but it works and gets you to your content asap. Being provider agnostic is probably a real benefit.

If you're really into the Amazon ecosystem, there's some small benefit from a Fire TV, like Echo voice control, but I doubt most people will get much out of that. It pushes Amazon prime and rentals above all else, so if you do spend most of your time there, it's great. It's not hard to get to other content, but it's not shy about being Amazon first.

If you're really into the Apple ecosystem, then there's a real benefit to the Apple TV, and it's by far the most polished device, but it's a much higher price that's otherwise hard to justify.

If you're hacking it, Fire is the way to go, if you're using it for its app catalog Roku is the way to go.  Unlike Amazon and Google for that matter, Roku does not own any stream services and thus, you'll never lose apps like YouTube as you did on Amazon Fire products as they fought with Google. 

I have the latest Roku stick whatever it is, but not the 4k one.  After about 6 months use, it is locking up on me occasionally and need to reboot it.  I need to call Support to see if I have a defective one for replacement.  I only use it for Netflix and PS Vue.

I love my Roku Streaming Stick, last year's model.  There was something in the stats for the new one I didn't like, even though I think it gained 4k?  I don't recall all the info now.  Anyway, happy to be on an agnostic platform, fuck Amazon and Google.