Final Fantasy VI is 25 years old

crispy4000

14 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

That was the very first turn-based rpg I ever played. Before that, the closest I ever got to rpg's was Legend of Zelda. But it looked too good to ignore so I decided to give it a ($70) shot. I was hooked on rpg's after that.

Magicite is still my favorite FF magic system.

damn you got it cheap  my cartridge cost like 85bucks at EB games in NJ

2 hours ago, TomCat said:

damn you got it cheap  my cartridge cost like 85bucks at EB games in NJ

Ouch. I think the most I paid for a cartridge game was $75 for Street Fighter II Turbo. 

As much as we bitch and moan about games prices nowadays, we have more spending freedom than we ever have. Back then we were at the mercy of whatever markup the department stores decided to slap on us.

25 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Omg did it really cost that much? I remember saving up all my money as a kid for it.

Best FF game.

yes cartridges were not cheap they had chips in them and FF required more cause it was such a big game

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I think I’ve started this game on three different platforms, but never finished it. It’s on my list to revisit some day. 

Same for me. I respect that people enjoy the game so much, but I can’t ever seem to be compelled enough to actually finish it. 

32 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Same for me. I respect that people enjoy the game so much, but I can’t ever seem to be compelled enough to actually finish it. 

To be fair, i doubt i could ever play it through again. But this was back in the day when those graphics were top notch and that was literally the only new game i'd have for months.

It’s a great game. 

I think the back end end of it is a little mushy and the pace kind of tanks not long after the recovery from the big twist. And the characters are just... not well balanced at all. 

But overall, easily my favorite FF game. It was all downhill from there. 

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

To be fair, i doubt i could ever play it through again. But this was back in the day when those graphics were top notch and that was literally the only new game i'd have for months.

Even back then the graphics looked bad.  My mom use to watch me play FF6 when I was a kid and she was like, "why did you pick this game?  It doesn't look nice at all."  But then she got totally engrossed in the story and loved it.  

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

But overall, easily my favorite FF game. It was all downhill from there. 

I think its kind of crazy that FF7 ended up being as good of a game as it was, for both the legacy it had to live up to and using pre-rendered backdrops for the first time.

FF6 is still the better game.  But the Square of that time deserved major props for making the transition to the Playstation.  It worked out a whole lot better for them than the move to HD.

48 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I think its kind of crazy that FF7 ended up being as good of a game as it was, for both the legacy it had to live up to and using pre-rendered backdrops for the first time.

FF6 is still the better game.  But the Square of that time deserved major props for making the transition to the Playstation.  It worked out a whole lot better for them than the move to HD.

That’s all fair. 

Anyone else routinely abuse the Relm sketch glitch? Good times, that. 

I abused the shit out of the MA evade glitch later on when I found out about it. That's the only real problem with the game, it's piss easy, even on a scrub level if you just use Edgars Tools and Sabin's Blitz and had any basic understanding of the game to realize Terra and Celes are the best characters in the game and just use at least one of them. Shit the game is so easy that even if you didn't it was still fairly easy. So nevermind advanced shit like putting Snow Muffler on Mog, Setzer fixed dice plus Offering, Actually learning the good monsters to use with Gau (Stray Cat early game OP) or Dual Enhanchers on Terra/Celes and nuking everything or just the basic fact that even Cyan can throw around Ultima/Flare/Meteor/whatever like nothing etc. 

The previews in EGM had me so hyped and I was not let down still easily the best mainly FF and one of the top JRPG's of all time. I could play through it again (if I had the time to binge a JRPG) now even though I have played through it a half dozen times or so already!