The Outer Worlds, Control, The Sinking City announced as Epic Games Store launch exclusives

Commissar SFLUFAN

I have no particular love for any storefront and they certainly haven't earned any sort of loyalty from me, though I'm fond of GOG's no DRM policy. I'll go where the games I want are. The Outer Worlds and Control are two of the games I'm most looking forward to, so I'll buy them wherever they are. In this case it looks like I'll be buying from Epic.

I haven't been interested in a Remedy game since Max Payne 2, so I had no interest/intention in getting Control. The Outer Worlds is a bit more of a bummer but even that game, like everything on the Epic Game Store hasn't been an absolute "must-by" and I have no issues waiting for the year exclusivity to end, or just not buy the game at all.

I’ll be interested in these games by the time they hit the bargain bin.  Sub $20, probably won’t purchase until $10 or less.

I get the feeling that Epic Store exclusitivty will prolong that process.  But the humble store development today did change my tune a bit.  And by the time I finally get Control, I’ll have a rig that can do all the ray tracing bells and whistles.

Nothing about the Epic store has interested me, and by forcing my patronage to their store, those games also become less interesting to me.

What really bothers me about the Epic Store is that the allure was first made in that developers could use it to offer games cheaper for consumers, and instead developers decided to go exclusive and keep the entire profits for themselves. Yeah, it's their choice, but also enough to cause me to say I don't care about their games right now. And if I have to wait a year to play them, I probably won't care about their games ever.

• Haha 1

Chris Avellone slams Obsidian's deal with Epic for "The Outer Worlds" exclusivity as a "cash grab".

His main worry seems to be that the news has turned the hype for The Outer Worlds from positive to profoundly negative, hype Avellone himself helped build up. “It’s how you kill the best hype you could have for a game,” he tweets, “Possibly best hype for any of the studio’s games, ever – then undermine it for a cash grab.”