Do you ever stop and think to yourself, 'I wonder what Inuk is doing right this moment?'

Chris-

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just thought I'd give a little update seeing as how this is the official Inuk thread.

The fact of the matter is that Inuk has entered the "quality of life" phase of his life.  He's being treated for Cushing's disease which is a liver condition that older dogs get with one of the side effects being incontinence.   As a result, he has to frequently wear a diaper.

In addition, his overall mobility has become much more difficult due to arthritis - again, not an uncommon condition for large older dogs.  In recent days, this has become worse with him having great difficulty getting up on to his hind legs.  I've started having him wear a harness that allows me to lift him to his feet and support him as he walks outside, but he's not a fan of this at all, as you can imagine.  I've increased his painkiller dosage to try to make him more comfortable, but that simply might not be enough at this point.

Inuk really isn't the same dog that he was, even a few months or even weeks ago.  He's more tired, more short-tempered, and simply not enjoying life as he once did.  As a result, I'm certain the time has come to have the "quality of life" discussion with his mother and how/when we should allow our companion to cross the rainbow bridge to the place where all dogs go to run and play for eternity. 

It really does pain me to see him like this, but I've done my very best to prepare myself for this time that I knew would come sooner or later and I'd like to think that I've done everything possible to give him a good, happy life.  

I wish that this was a happier update, but I thought you all deserved to know what's happening!  Thank you all for allowing me to share our life together in this thread!

• Like 5
  • Sad 7

41 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I just spoke with his mom and she feels that the time has come as well.

She's going to stop by later today or tomorrow just to make sure before we make the final arrangements.

Give him some treats and belly rubs on our behalf. 

• Halal 3

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I've tentatively scheduled the in-home procedure for Friday at 12pm.

Really sorry to hear that Inuk's doing so poorly. From what you're describing it's the right decision. When my family had to make this decision for our last dog it was like his whole body abruptly went to shit on him and there's basically no bouncing back once that happens, and it sounds like the same thing is happening to Inuk.

Just now, Jason said:

Really sorry to hear that Inuk's doing so poorly. From what you're describing it's the right decision. When my family had to make this decision for our last dog it was like his whole body abruptly went to shit on him and there's basically no bouncing back once that happens, and it sounds like the same thing is happening to Inuk.

The funny thing is that his internal organs are pretty much fine based on an x-ray that was performed yesterday.

It's just that the pain from his arthritis has gotten to the debilitating stage and there really is only so much that more painkillers can do.

I’m really sorry to hear this, Wade. Sometimes when the wheels fall off, they do so quickly. Based on everything you’ve posted about Inuk you gave him a good and happy life, and it seems like that was reciprocated. Helping a pet pass at the right time is hard and I’m sorry you’re going through this. Glad you and his mom are on the same page.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The fact of the matter is that Inuk has entered the "quality of life" phase of his life.  He's being treated for Cushing's disease which is a liver condition that older dogs get with one of the side effects being incontinence.   As a result, he has to frequently wear a diaper.

In addition, his overall mobility has become much more difficult due to arthritis - again, not an uncommon condition for large older dogs.  In recent days, this has become worse with him having great difficulty getting up on to his hind legs.  I've started having him wear a harness that allows me to lift him to his feet and support him as he walks outside, but he's not a fan of this at all, as you can imagine.  I've increased his painkiller dosage to try to make him more comfortable, but that simply might not be enough at this point.

This was my exact experience with my dog. 

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

the place where all dogs go to run and play for eternity

He can hang out with Daisy 

rtz6J0A.jpg

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m really sorry to hear this, Wade. Sometimes when the wheels fall off, they do so quickly. Based on everything you’ve posted about Inuk you gave him a good and happy life, and it seems like that was reciprocated. Helping a pet pass at the right time is hard and I’m sorry you’re going through this. Glad you and his mom are on the same page.

Thank you - I genuinely appreciate that!

• Like 1

Well...it pleases me to report that it appears that Inuk will be with us for sometime longer!

The last 24 hours have been a remarkable turnaround in his condition!  He's practically back to "normal" (albeit that normal is still that of a large older dog) and he's showing very little of the discomfort and lethargy that he was on Monday and Tuesday.  His appetite still isn't quite back 100% but he's been enjoying the seasoned chicken that his mom has prepared for him  and that has allowed him to take his medications which is absolutely important for his overall health.  It's possible that the reduced appetite is the result of the gastroenteritis diagnosis that he received from the ER I took him to and that's being treated with probiotics.

As for the mobility issues and overall discomfort on Monday and Tuesday, his usual vet agrees with my hypothesis that those were probably (if not definitely) the result of the sedative/painkiller that he was administered in the ER in order to get him in a state where he could be X-rayed.  Once that medication was out of his system, he was able to stand on his own and move around with the same mobility that he had before the trip to the ER.

All-in-all, he's essentially back to the place he was before the trip to the ER on Monday which is to say "not too shabby" for an elderly large dog.  As I told Laps of Love when I called to cancel tomorrow's final procedure, "I know that I'll need your services at some point in the future, sooner or later.  But that day won't be tomorrow."

So, thank you all for your warm wishes and thoughts for Inuk and me during these last couple of days.  I genuinely do appreciate it very, very much! :hug: 

• Like 9
  • Shocked 1
  • Halal 2