~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Nosferatu - The Vampyr (Werner Herzog / 1979)

This is one of my favorite films since childhood and had a huge impact on me. I rewatch it regularly and I love the intimate, 'real' atmosphere, nature photography and everything and above all the amazing Popol Vuh soundtrack.

I showed it to my girlfriend yesterday and she thought it was utterly terrible.

:pikachu:

Oh yeah, last year’s Invisible Man is really good. 

I think they generally made the right decision to break up IT the way that they did, but for me it kinda made Chapter 2 inherently less interesting/scary. All the spooky funhouse, scary clown shit that’s so good in the first one is a lot less effective when it’s Bill fucking Hader running away from the waking nightmare. You also don’t get all of the classic kid bonding/coming of age stuff that works so well in the first part. 

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

It (2017) - 9/10

Fuck me, now that was horror done right. I wish Stan, the sick kid, and potty mouth got fleshed out more, but it turns out horror movies are a lot more creepy when you actually have characters to root for/against. I might have even given it a 10 if they didn't do the sPoOoKy dutch angle zoom thing a bunch of times (it pulls me right out of the movie every single time) or a couple things with Beverly's character. It's still a fucking classic, though.

Saw it in the theaters and felt the same exact way. Extremely well done.

The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009).

It’s interesting to watch this not long after the original. It plays out a lot like I expected a Tony Scott version of this story to go, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I think the more laid back attitude of the 70’s version suits the material better. Denzel, as always, is one of the most reliable actors we have. I don’t like the manic energy John Travolta is bringing. Overall, this is a perfectly OK movie, but if you want a Tony Scott/Denzel Washington movie, just watch Unstoppable, which completely rules. 

28 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009).

It’s interesting to watch this not long after the original. It plays out a lot like I expected a Tony Scott version of this story to go, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I think the more laid back attitude of the 70’s version suits the material better. Denzel, as always, is one of the most reliable actors we have. I don’t like the manic energy John Travolta is bringing. Overall, this is a perfectly OK movie, but if you want a Tony Scott/Denzel Washington movie, just watch Unstoppable, which completely rules. 

Man on Fire and Deja Vu are also great Denzel Washington/Tony Scott collaborations. I liked The Taking of Pelham 123 remake, but Unstoppable is better.

25 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Man on Fire and Deja Vu are also great Denzel Washington/Tony Scott collaborations. I liked The Taking of Pelham 123 remake, but Unstoppable is better.

It’s been too long since I’ve seen Man on Fire, but I remember liking it. I saw Deja Vu recently and liked it a lot. Pelham is probably the worst of those 4, but still solid. Turns out: Tony Scott, pretty damn reliable director. 

43 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It’s been too long since I’ve seen Man on Fire, but I remember liking it. I saw Deja Vu recently and liked it a lot. Pelham is probably the worst of those 4, but still solid. Turns out: Tony Scott, pretty damn reliable director. 

He really was a director who elevated theoretically schlocky material. I actually think his most experimental film, Domino, is also really good. You just gotta be ready for a grimy, sleazy, dark sociopolitical satire of life and celebrity. That one gets a lot of unfair hate. I definitely recommend a Man on Fire rewatch either way.

I mean this is the guy who gave us Top Gun, The Last Boy Scout, True Romance, Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State, and Spy Game. His only stinkers are really Revenge, Days of Thunder (which has its fans), and The Fan (and Domino, which I disagree with). 

It: Chapter Two - 7/10

@Keyser_Soze

The movie plays more like an action movie than anything, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not scary, really. And it shouldn't be, given that the characters know exactly what they're dealing with (at least by the third act). The movie is downright silly at times, and the third act plays more like an action movie than a horror movie. Honestly, I think I prefer that rather than have the movie try to recreate the first one.

Is it an instant classic like the first one? No, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. It leans too hard into the silly sometimes, part of the ending doesn't make any sense (Stan's suicide note, like "wait what?"). Side notes: James McAvoy is an international treasure. I kind of want to watch Wanted next so that my McAvoy boner can subside a bit. He's one of the greatest actors of our time.

• Thanks 1

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 7/10

I haven't seen this movie in a long time. It holds up a lot better than I thought it would. The way I see it, you can think about this movie in 2 different ways: 1) a kid's movie that's made in a way that studios don't really do anymore, and as such it feels a little weird and dated. Think about it - what was the last big budget kids movie actually starring children you can think of? Bridge to Terabithia? Spiderwick Chronicles? Narnia? Studios don't make them anymore. I'd argue Sorcerer's Stone does it better than any of those movies, but it's still a kid's movie. Still, I'm honestly kind of impressed by the performances they managed to get out of the kids. They were like 10 when the movie was filmed, 10 year olds don't understand real emotional complexity, let alone how to fake it. However, you could also think about the movie as 2) a fantastic thematic start to a franchise about magic. In Sorcerer's Stone, the world is full of wonders, enchantment, and splendor. It's more than a little corny, but thematically, that fits with Harry Potter as a character. He doesn't yet know the dark side of the magic world. It's only in Azkaban that we really get exposed to the dark personal side of his story, so it makes sense that Azkaban makes a complete tonal shift that carries on through the rest of the franchise (also worth noting that Prisoner of Azkaban wasn't even out yet when the Sorcerer's Stone movie was being written/conceived)

Side note: I only just noticed this, but in the finale when Harry is confronting Quirrell, Quirrell tries to... choke him to death? Dude, you're a fucking wizard! What kind of shit plan was that?! To be fair, the unforgivable curses weren't actually a thing in the books until Goblet of Fire, which only came out like a couple months before Sorcerer's Stone started filming (I had to look that up, I don't know these things off the top of my head), but even so, he could have like petrified him and then stabbed him or something? But no, he tries to choke a child to death, then when his hands start burning, he just keeps on giving it a go. Can't fault him for persistence I suppose.

Side note again: The music in the beginning of the movie reminds me a lot of Hitoshi Sakimoto's work in Final Fantasy XII. @Greatoneshere tell me this doesn't somehow remind you of Final Fantasy XII

Spoiler

side note again again: I had never put 2+2 together that Jared Harris is Richard Harris' son. Something about their voices is unmistakable. 

Don't worry @Keyser_Soze I'm not going to post about every Harry Potter movie, I'm going to post a whole retrospective thread after I'm done, that way I don't have to @ you every time I post a review. I had like 4 paragraphs already written before I realized I wasn't just talking about Sorcerer's Stone anymore. Now I'm saving for a whole essay which I'll be sure to tag you for. Stay tuned, you're going to love it.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Don't worry @Keyser_Soze I'm not going to post about every Harry Potter movie, I'm going to post a whole retrospective thread after I'm done, that way I don't have to @ you every time I post a review. I had like 4 paragraphs already written before I realized I wasn't just talking about Sorcerer's Stone anymore. Now I'm saving for a whole essay which I'll be sure to tag you for. Stay tuned, you're going to love it.

I don't care if you do. I don't know why you mention me. I said it's fine. :p

I want to give a quick shout-out to Mythic Quest season 2. They broke format two weeks ago to do an entire episode in flashback, like they did for a standout episode in season 1. But this time, instead of being just a one-off, it tied directly into the following episode, making for an unconventional but really satisfying two-parter. F. Murray Abraham is incredible in the most recent ep. 

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Promising Young Woman: 8/10 - I really liked this one. It kind of reminded me of Neon Demon in a way, a somewhat satirical yet serious movie, something like American Psycho, except unlike how I felt about Neon Demon, I liked this one. I think the caricatures of some of the men are disgusting enough that a person of both genders would be disgusted with (hopefully) but I felt like maybe they should have leaned into it more. It was an interesting journey but I felt like the movie lost some of it's teeth towards the end. I also really liked the cast. Max Greenfield and Chris Lowell always seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to these roles (going back to Veronica Mars :p )

• Thanks 1

Black '47 - 9/10

Imagine John Wick, but it takes place in 1847 in Ireland during the potato famine, and is depressing rather than blood-pumping. I mean that in a good way. The John Wick comparison comes from how they handle the flip-flopping of the protagonist and the antagonist, but whereas John Wick is like "they killed his puppy, now the audience is okay with him slaughtering an army of people," this movie takes a much more thoughtful approach. The movie is also much more of a slower burn. I also love the idea of using different languages to express an idea in the story.

One criticism I have, which doesn't take away from the rating because it's like a "get over it" kind of thing, is that Hugo Weaving's voice is mixed way too low and the music is mixed way too high at times. I had to turn on subtitles for Hugo Weaving and he's one of the only characters speaking English for most of the movie!

Side note: I am in LOVE right now with movies that take place in the 1840's-1910's. Warrior got me hooked on it (one of the best shows I've ever seen if anyone has seen it fyi), which takes place in 1870's San Francisco. I love how setting a story in that time period allows things to get so fucking grimy. If anyone knows of any other movies to watch that take place in that time period, I'm all ears.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Promising Young Woman: 8/10 - I really liked this one. It kind of reminded me of Neon Demon in a way, a somewhat satirical yet serious movie, something like American Psycho, except unlike how I felt about Neon Demon, I liked this one. I think the caricatures of some of the men are disgusting enough that a person of both genders would be disgusted with (hopefully) but I felt like maybe they should have leaned into it more. It was an interesting journey but I felt like the movie lost some of it's teeth towards the end. I also really liked the cast. Max Greenfield and Chris Lowell always seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to these roles (going back to Veronica Mars :p )

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Black '47 - 9/10

Imagine John Wick, but it takes place in 1847 in Ireland during the potato famine, and is depressing rather than blood-pumping. I mean that in a good way. The John Wick comparison comes from how they handle the flip-flopping of the protagonist and the antagonist, but whereas John Wick is like "they killed his puppy, now the audience is okay with him slaughtering an army of people," this movie takes a much more thoughtful approach. The movie is also much more of a slower burn. I also love the idea of using different languages to express an idea in the story.

One criticism I have, which doesn't take away from the rating because it's like a "get over it" kind of thing, is that Hugo Weaving's voice is mixed way too low and the music is mixed way too high at times. I had to turn on subtitles for Hugo Weaving and he's one of the only characters speaking English for most of the movie!

Side note: I am in LOVE right now with movies that take place in the 1840's-1910's. Warrior got me hooked on it (one of the best shows I've ever seen if anyone has seen it fyi), which takes place in 1870's San Francisco. I love how setting a story in that time period allows things to get so fucking grimy. If anyone knows of any other movies to watch that take place in that time period, I'm all ears.

Two really well written reviews. You guys are fantastic. I love reading both of your reviews and it's usually daily for Fizzzzle. 

• Thanks 1

I'll try to make mine just once daily. Though I did power through the entire harry Potter franchise in like 2 days and wrote like 2.5 pages about it altogether. I was going to make a HP retrospective thread, but I couldn't decide if I had any conclusions about anything, then I was going to watch the  Beasts movies again, but they kind of suck and I don't want to. Especially the second one.

I also watched dances with wolves, it was alright.

• Like 1

Black '47 - 9/10

Watch Steven Soderbergh's The Knick. Nothing else comes even close to crushing that time period. It takes place in 1900-1903 as I recall. 

• Thanks 1

Kill List 6/10

This is the second time that I sat down to watch this, the first time I found the character so utterly terrible that I only got about 30 mins in before shutting it off. This time I made it all the way through and I am still unsure if liked the film or hated it. The film revolves are an ex soldier named Jay who after returning from combat is dealing with a terrible case of PTSD. His life is in shambles, hes broke, he constantly fights with his wife who berates, hits and who is other wise just plain antagonistic to him. In comes his friend who he served with offering him a job, a 3 hit contract for a high price. This leads them down a path of violence that and massive set of WTF's that I dont want to ruin. If anyone is interested its on Shudder and i advise to not to dig any deeper into it before watching.

Also wanna add these guys are not super soldiers, they are built like your average dudes. It adds to the realism over all

32 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I've been slowly rewatching Deadwood. That is some prime 1870's classy filth. 

My wife and I just rewatched the show to lead into the 2019 sequel film since I had never seen the film (my wife had never even seen the show). Still really good, and I thought the movie was very well made.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I've been slowly rewatching Deadwood. That is some prime 1870's classy filth. 

I don't think I ever finished the series. I started the movie, got like 20 minutes in before going "wait what?" And realizing I should finish the series. If I haven't before.

• Shocked 1

Jack the Giant Slayer - 6/10

Remember that time when a bunch of studios thought it would make a lot of money be fun to make gritty versions of children's tales? This one, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, Maleficent, Snow White and the Huntsman, that other Snow White one? Those were fun times. Except not really, most of them kind of sucked. That said, this one is actually kind of good. Mostly due to the acting, which elevates what would otherwise be a pretty bland story. Everyone kind of straddles that line between sincere and cartoony that works for adventure movies, but it only works if everyone does it. Like in Princess Bride or Indiana Jones. It's a shame no one really does that anymore. It's not like the MCU where it's constantly full of tongue-in-cheek one-liners, but it's still self aware. It feels a lot less cynical, which feels good to me.

Anyway, other than that it's kind of meh. CGI kind of sucks, even for the standards of a decade ago.

Side note: I wish Nicholas Hoult got more chances to do big budget leading role shit. I loved Warm Bodies, and he plays the role well in Jack the Giant Slayer. Though it kind of seems like he doesn't like doing the big budget action shit so much.

Another side note: You ever wonder when Bill Nighy perfected his cartoony villain voice? He does the same voice for Davy Jones, the Giant King in this movie, the head vampire dude in Underworld, and I'm assuming other things I can't think of. Like, at some point he had to practice it and say "yes, this is how I will play all of my villain roles."

Jack the Giant Slayer - 6/10

Remember that time when a bunch of studios thought it would make a lot of money be fun to make gritty versions of children's tales? This one, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, Maleficent, Snow White and the Huntsman, that other Snow White one? Those were fun times. Except not really, most of them kind of sucked. That said, this one is actually kind of good. Mostly due to the acting, which elevates what would otherwise be a pretty bland story. Everyone kind of straddles that line between sincere and cartoony that works for adventure movies, but it only works if everyone does it. Like in Princess Bride or Indiana Jones. It's a shame no one really does that anymore. It's not like the MCU where it's constantly full of tongue-in-cheek one-liners, but it's still self aware. It feels a lot less cynical, which feels good to me.

I haven't seen Jack the Giant Slayer (directed by Bryan Singer) because it got such awful reviews, and Snow White and the Huntsman was boring at best. I haven't seen Maleficent or the allegedly even worse Snow White prequel to Snow White and the Huntsman but I did think the little R-rated Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters was a lot of fun (directed by Dead Snow 1+2 guy Tommy Wirkola). Not great, but at least great practical effects and willing to be properly R-rated.

32 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I haven't seen Jack the Giant Slayer (directed by Bryan Singer) because it got such awful reviews, and Snow White and the Huntsman was boring at best. I haven't seen Maleficent or the allegedly even worse Snow White prequel to Snow White and the Huntsman but I did think the little R-rated Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters was a lot of fun (directed by Dead Snow 1+2 guy Tommy Wirkola). Not great, but at least great practical effects and willing to be properly R-rated.

Hansel & Gretel is one that I'd be interested in revisiting. I haven't seen it since theaters, and I remember liking it. Then I see that it has like 15% on RT:lol:

That said, Jack the a Giant a Slayer is a solid movie in my book. Not going to win any awards, but it's a fun time. Watch that back to back with Warm Bodies and you'll be like "Hollywood wasted this kid"

Also fuck Bryan singer. He was best buds with Kevin spacey. I guess one of them had to take a fall.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I sadly have all those movies on disc and have only seen SWatH and Maleficent, and were both meh. I would take Maleficent 3D over the other. (need it in 3D) I bought Jack the Giant Slayer in a steelbook when it got released way back then, never watched and for some reason bought it again because I found a 3D copy for $6. I would also like to throw out the I, Frankenstein into the weird mix of movies I still haven’t seen, own and falls into this weird genre of movies. 

I still remember the day when I found out that Nic Hoult was the kid from About a Boy. Love that movie too