~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Stowaway: I love space movies even bad ones/10

This is not a good movie. It really comes down to one thing, and it is that the movie does nothing to make you interested in the fate of the characters, so the scary and tense moments have no real emotional pay off. I still like some of the sequences in the film, and the acting was pretty good. The VFX work was surprisingly good. Don't bother unless you are a sucker for space movies like me.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

This is not a good movie. It really comes down to one thing, and it is that the movie does nothing to make you interested in the fate of the characters, so the scary and tense moments have no real emotional pay off. I still like some of the sequences in the film, and the acting was pretty good. The VFX work was surprisingly good. Don't bother unless you are a sucker for space movies like me.

yeah i love space movies so i enjoyed this one but i can’t really recommend it to friends lol 

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

yeah i love space movies so i enjoyed this one but i can’t really recommend it to friends lol 

Space movies and time travel/time loop movies can be outright trash and I'll probably still enjoy watching them because I love the setting and tropes so much

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Agreed that is was not a good movie, but I still watched it, lol 

Castlevania Season 4

I liked the final season overall. Characters and dialogue remain great. Issac's plot always felt like a side story throughout the series that I hoped would tie into the main characters at the end, sadly it did not. The animation at times is top notch and at other times you can really see where a bit more budget would have helped out tremendously especially the fight scenes where the camera spins around the action which happens a lot this season. The final fight is suitably epic.

8/10

Started Jenkin’s Underground Raildroad

I don’t know that I can make it through more than this first episode. It’s brutal. It’s also absolutely gorgeous, as you would expect from Jenkins.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Started Jenkin’s Underground Raildroad

I don’t know that I can make it through more than this first episode. It’s brutal. It’s also absolutely gorgeous, as you would expect from Jenkins.

Is this some brutally honest depiction of the horrors of the past? Sign me up, please! Only if the narrative is coherent, though. Terrace malick can be as brilliant as he wants, but his movies are like watching turtles fuck.

spacer.png

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum: 7/10 - Just like the second one this series seems to keep upping the ante on action sequences. Tired of guns? How about knives? Not into knives, how about horses? I think that the movie started getting a bit too far up it's own ass with the lore and story going on and by the end it all felt like a big setup for the next movie. I still liked it though but not as much as the other two.

• Haha 1

The Shawshank Redemption - 9/10

Haven't seen this movie in years, I kind of forgot how fucking dark it is. Some parts like the narration, which has become kind of memeified, haven't aged all that well, but fuck me if this movie isn't a classic.

I kind of wish they mentioned how Red got his stuff by people boofing them, though. They were okay describing Andy crawling through a river of shit, Andy's rock hammer was up someone's ass at some point, and Red only charged Andy an extra $3 for that. THAT's a story.

Those Who Wish Me Dead - 2/10

The plot for this movie is so fucking stupid. But also give me a movie with a main character suffering from PTSD and I'll cry like a baby, however I will NOT let that affect my objectivity. No, sir, not no how.

Also I'm not going to pin it on this movie because every movie does it, but Angelina Jolie put on fucking eyeliner to stay in a firewatch tower for a month? Get the fuck out of here.

Also also the whole northwest is probably about to go up in flames in the next few months so having a plot revolve around a wildfire is not amusing to me. But, again, I will NOT let that affect my objectivity. 100% this movie just kind of sucked and was a waste of Nicholas Hoult. Angelina Jolie I can give or take, Jon bernthal was chewing scenery, but you waste Nicholas Hoult on a henchman? Criminal.

AND, AND, AND the movie never even fucking tells what the fuck the villains were even doing! What the shit? They were just generally evil douchebags? No reason? You can fuck right the fuck off. You know what, I'm taking another point off. This movie offends me.

Fuck off, movie.

• Haha 1

Fuck you, Taylor Sheridan and New Line, I don't say this often but I want my 2 hours back you pieces of shit. I could stomach that movie on a plane but probably nowhere else. And I'm not on a plane. Goddamn that went off the rails after about 30 minutes.

I'm legitimately upset by how bad that movie was.

6 minutes ago, johnny said:

i thought the movie was alright. it kind of just exists. 

It's like "airplane movie" but worse. Airplane movies are movies that I just don't care about, they're a distraction. Like basically any movie with Jason Statham in it since 2010, or a Clive Cussler novel. They're fine. This movie didn't even bother with anything. Why are the villains being villains? Don't know, doesn't matter, never explained, shoot shoot fire boom. What did the kid's father know? Doesn't matter, never explained, shoot shoot boom. Jon Bernthal and his lady have a relationship, so that's cool, that plays into the plot for about 5 minutes. They're an interracial couple and the movie never points that out, so, cool?

How the hell it has a 5.6 on rottentomatoes makes me think people were smoking crack when they watched it. It's garbage.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum: 7/10 - Just like the second one this series seems to keep upping the ante on action sequences. Tired of guns? How about knives? Not into knives, how about horses? I think that the movie started getting a bit too far up it's own ass with the lore and story going on and by the end it all felt like a big setup for the next movie. I still liked it though but not as much as the other two.

You are really good at reviewing movies. Like on par or even better than "professional" reviews I read. Good work, my friend. 

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

The Shawshank Redemption - 9/10

Haven't seen this movie in years, I kind of forgot how fucking dark it is. Some parts like the narration, which has become kind of memeified, haven't aged all that well, but fuck me if this movie isn't a classic.

I kind of wish they mentioned how Red got his stuff by people boofing them, though. They were okay describing Andy crawling through a river of shit, Andy's rock hammer was up someone's ass at some point, and Red only charged Andy an extra $3 for that. THAT's a story.

You are very good, too. You sometimes lose focus in your reviews but I trust both of you guys in the reviews you give and I specifically like your rating scale. Good work, too. :clap:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

You are really good at reviewing movies. Like on par or even better than "professional" reviews I read. Good work, my friend.

That's hardly a review, mostly a blurb but thank you. I'm way better than @Greatoneshere at reviews. I agree.

If you care enough I elaborate more on my thoughts on my letterboxd account

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That's hardly a review, mostly a blurb but thank you. I'm way better than @Greatoneshere at reviews. I agree.

I read all your mini reviews and they are all exceptionally written and to the point. @Greatoneshere does well too, don't get me wrong. 

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's like "airplane movie" but worse. Airplane movies are movies that I just don't care about, they're a distraction. Like basically any movie with Jason Statham in it since 2010, or a Clive Cussler novel. They're fine. This movie didn't even bother with anything. Why are the villains being villains? Don't know, doesn't matter, never explained, shoot shoot fire boom. What did the kid's father know? Doesn't matter, never explained, shoot shoot boom. Jon Bernthal and his lady have a relationship, so that's cool, that plays into the plot for about 5 minutes. They're an interracial couple and the movie never points that out, so, cool?

How the hell it has a 5.6 on rottentomatoes makes me think people were smoking crack when they watched it. It's garbage.

5.6 is really low lol

it has explosions so that makes a lot of people happy

On 5/17/2021 at 8:59 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

On 5/17/2021 at 9:31 AM, best3444 said:

I read all your mini reviews and they are all exceptionally written and to the point. @Greatoneshere does well too, don't get me wrong. 

On the subject of my letterboxd account and reviews, it seems like my Fall Time review has quietly crept up to be my most popular review with 4 likes, and recently some guy commenting on how great it is and how I should watch it again :lol:

https://letterboxd.com/bludgeoner86/film/fall-time/

• Haha 1

Psycho Goreman 3 out of 5

Some decent charm and there were some good bits that weren't in the trailer. A more decent budget could have touched-up some effects and costumes, which were very Power Rangers-esque. Still, it was kinda fun. May be a good under the influence movie.

spacer.png

The 10th Victim: 7/10 - This film takes place in a sort of dystopianish future / Present? - Hard to tell because the movie is so old it certainly wasn't ideas used in present time in the 1960s but possibly the idea of a cell phone works in this day and age. :p

In any case, this isn't super clearly explained, but the idea is the government sponsors something called "The Big Hunt" where one person is the hunter and the other the victim you get to be the victim 5 times and the hunter 5 times and if you survive the 10th time you are set for life with... A MILLION DOLLARS! - But also a government sponsored car and you don't have to pay taxes the rest of your life! :o - I guess (according to wikipedia) that this program targets people with violent tendencies so that wars will be avoided (The movie does mention if The Big Hunt was around in the 1940s that Hitler wouldn't have come into power or something)

So it's hard to make out the motives, the woman is the hunter and she seems to like to make a spectacle out of her hunts while the guy seems to take it easy. But do they actually fall in love? That is the idea but I'm not convinced really. Not too bad of a movie, kind of funky and an interesting idea I suppose.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

The 10th Victim: 7/10 - This film takes place in a sort of dystopianish future / Present? - Hard to tell because the movie is so old it certainly wasn't ideas used in present time in the 1960s but possibly the idea of a cell phone works in this day and age. :p

In any case, this isn't super clearly explained, but the idea is the government sponsors something called "The Big Hunt" where one person is the hunter and the other the victim you get to be the victim 5 times and the hunter 5 times and if you survive the 10th time you are set for life with... A MILLION DOLLARS! - But also a government sponsored car and you don't have to pay taxes the rest of your life! :o - I guess (according to wikipedia) that this program targets people with violent tendencies so that wars will be avoided (The movie does mention if The Big Hunt was around in the 1940s that Hitler wouldn't have come into power or something)

So it's hard to make out the motives, the woman is the hunter and she seems to like to make a spectacle out of her hunts while the guy seems to take it easy. But do they actually fall in love? That is the idea but I'm not convinced really. Not too bad of a movie, kind of funky and an interesting idea I suppose.

What a complete mess of a review! I take everything back with what I said about your reviews! Haha, kidding. 

Line of Duty continues to be excellent with season 4, but I needed a little break from AC-12’s relentless pursuit of bent coppers, so I watched a couple of movies that have been on my “to watch” list for a while.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (original) - There was a point in my life where I would have complained that this movie is too boring, but now I can kinda appreciate this kind of more laid back thriller. Like, there is a sense of urgency and danger, but a lot of the characters are these schlubby middle aged men who are just annoyed that this is happening on their shift. :lol: Also, Walter Matthau gets one of the greatest final shots I’ve ever seen. What a face! I’m going to have to see the remake now. With Tony Scott behind the camera and Denzel starring, that has to be such a fundamentally different vibe. 

Before Sunrise - It’s interesting to watch this movie for the first time now. A central tension in this movie is the idea that these two young people will, in all likelihood, never see each other again after spending this one day together. But I’m watching this as the first disk in a Criterion Collection trilogy, so I already know they meet at least two more times. :p Then again, I’m glad I waited to watch this until I was a little older, and could appreciate a lovely movie that is almost exclusively two people just chatting. 

Stowaway - 3/10

You know what I hate about these survival space mission movies? The constant tension just kind of negates itself to the point where there isn't really any tension at all. It's like a bunch of people talking until the music changes and you go "OH MY, I WONDER WHAT WILL GO WRONG IN THIS SCENE TO DRIVE THE PLOT FORWARD, super exciting!"

Like, it's just boring after a point. I think the Martian was the last one of these movies I watched that I actually made it through the entire thing without just wanting it to end already.

Also they completely throw any logic out the window in the third act.

Spoiler

Okay, so you JUST SAID that you had enough oxygen for 20 days a few days ago, but you know you can't make it to Mars. Sure, sounds good. Then you try this daring mission to get oxygen from one of the rockets, alright fair enough. That mission gets botched because of a solar storm and suddenly you have mere hours or everyone dies? Did it take multiple days to get to that oxygen tank? Did I miss something? They literally said the solar storm will last for a few hours in that same scene, then it's like "we have no time, one of us needs to sacrifice themselves right now!" Like that went from 0-11 with absolutely no explanation at all. I'm pretty sure I was still even paying attention by that point.

Synchronic - 6/10

The movie takes a little bit long to properly movie, but once it does it's pretty fun. The first like half of it spends too much time being like "look how DARK we are! all of our characters are broken, constantly drinking and drop F-bombs all the time" but then it picks up and actually turns into an adventure that I won't spoil that's pretty awesome. I just wish it did more of that and not the whole "look how dark this movie is" thing.