~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

29 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I sadly have all those movies on disc and have only seen SWatH and Maleficent, and were both meh. I would take Maleficent 3D over the other. (need it in 3D) I bought Jack the Giant Slayer in a steelbook when it got released way back then, never watched and for some reason bought it again because I found a 3D copy for $6. I would also like to throw out the I, Frankenstein into the weird mix of movies I still haven’t seen, own and falls into this weird genre of movies. 

I still remember the day when I found out that Nic Hoult was the kid from About a Boy. Love that movie too

Thanks for reminding me that I, Frankenstein exists:p

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

The Favourite and The Great (which I still need to finish) offer up some good Hoult.

I've heard that, too. Haven't seen either.

Warm Bodies was one of those great movies that was immediately forgotten in the cultural consciousness. Maybe it was because it came out at the same time as like zombieland and the walking Dead and whatnot, but it is legitimately funny and charming.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Hoult is fantastic in The Current War and Mad Max: Fury Road. He's in a lot of good movies. He's also Beast in the X-Men films for Fox, and that was like 4 movies.

Holy SHIT that is him in Fury Road. This guy was so damn good in The Great. The whole show was great but I loved watching him be a smug asshole.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters - 4/10

I remember kind of liking this when I saw it in theaters. It's not awful. The movie both tries way too hard and not hard enough at the same time. It's like it's trying to be a parody, but also it's not. The gore is kind of over the top, which I normally don't mind if it serves a purpose (like in The Night Comes for Us), but in this movie it feeds into the whole "we're trying to be really edgy" theme. It's like "watch this movie because it's based on a children's story, but we say "fuck" a few times, peoples' heads explode, and there's a scene with a boob in it." They clearly marketed it towards 14 year old boys. Interesting strategy for an R-rated movie.

Jack the Giant Slayer threaded the "subverting expectations" needle fairly well by keeping the story sincere. There was no winking at the audience, it still was trying to tell a fairy tale at heart. It was like a knock off Princess Bride. Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters tried to do both, and thus kind of sucks at both. It's still not the worst, though.

Side notes: Some of the stunts in this movie are pretty fucking brutal looking, like a lot of hard falls and hard wire pulls. It looked like Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton actually did some of them, so... respect. Also apparently there was also almost 2 years between the filming and release of this movie, which could explain why it feels so disjointed. The studio probably pretty much stitched a franken-movie together from an initial cut that they didn't like

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Side notes: Some of the stunts in this movie are pretty fucking brutal looking, like a lot of hard falls and hard wire pulls. It looked like Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton actually did some of them, so... respect. Also apparently there was also almost 2 years between the filming and release of this movie, which could explain why it feels so disjointed. The studio probably pretty much stitched a franken-movie together from an initial cut that they didn't like

Yep. There's a much better movie in there given the effects, etc.

Flightplan (2005) - I watched this because I’ve recently realized that “thriller on a mode of transportation” is one of my favorite sub-genres. :p It’s pretty unremarkable. The story is barely passable, performances are fine, a more interesting director maybe could have spiced it up. Red Eye is easily my pick for airplane-based thriller of 2005. 

• Haha 1

Ok so the following 3 movies are from a compilation called "The White Slave Collection" - Which appeared to be a series of movies set to evoke those Cannibal Holocaust feelings. Plus who doesn't want to see some white slaves? All three pretty movies are pretty rough in picture and sound quality. It's like they are straight VHS rips just on DVD. They even have that VHS hiss throughout.

spacer.png

Naked Amazon / Feitico do Amazonas:  4/10 - So I guess this is a mondo movie that predates other mondo movies (from 1954). It's a little over an hour but horribly dull. If you don't know mondo movies are mocu/shockumentary type movies. This one is about a group of reseachers (I suppose) that want to go find some "Indians" in Brazil. The strange thing is, I suppose this was filmed and scripted but it looks like it was just archival footage they narrated over. Yes there are actors here but no one has lines. It's just one guy narrating the action the whole way through. I guess the "shock" part that falls in the territory of these movies is a dude stabbing a snake (hard to tell if it was real) and some alligator eating a capybara, though it looked like it got away fine. Spoiler Alert: They do encounter the "Indians" but there's no payoff really, they are friendly and the documentary team just peacefully records their rituals or whatever. Overall pretty boring.

IoaOS0F.jpeg

White Slave / Schiave Bianche: Violenza in Amazzonia: 6/10 - I guess this is the unofficial sequel to Cannibal Holocaust. Some lady is on trial for murder and so the film goes back through the events that led to her trial. She was on a house boat in the amazon with her parents when they were ambushed and decapitated. She was taken captive by some natives and learned to live their way of life I suppose. As a "cannibal" movie it kind of fails, but as a normal movie it's kinda ok. In fact it's kind of a unrequited love story in a way. There's a big twist towards the end but if you kept your eyes peeled when the parents were killed you might have figured it out.

Spoiler

When the parents are killed, people are shooting blow darts. If you look at the faces of who are blowing the darts you might say, "that looks like a white person's face" not to mention there are 2 other people who kind of just disappear. 🤔

Kind of a cheesy movie but enjoyable in a way. This one has some mondo elements as well, which I guess is a Jaguar killing a monkey.

51cQN49GPsL._SX940_.jpg

Sacrifice of the White Goddess: 3/10 - This is the most modern of the 3 movies on this compilation (1995) but possibly (not even possibly, actually) the lowest budget of the 3 movies. This feels like a student project. Pretty wooden acting, picture quality, even sound quality sounds almost like on camera sound. This one is about some poor girl who takes her friend to Mexico because they think there are some "indians" (in Mexico) that have some treasure. They meet a guy at a bar who hunts parrots or something and they find a map to get the treasure from some other guy. There's a long scene where this girl gets naked under a waterfall and then some stereotypical Mexicans murder the dude and the girl gets kidnapped and is sacrificed and yeah it all looks pretty bad. Everything in this is unconvincing, even the gore, which they clearly didn't have the budget to do (you don't see anything really) - The best part of the movie is when they are at the bar ( @Greatoneshere would appreciate this joke)

This lady asks a guy: How tall are you?

The guy replies: I'm six foot seven INCHES

And the lady tells him: I'm not really interested in the six feet, how about you tell me about the SEVEN INCHES?

Toronto Raptors Drake GIF

Yeah but other than that the movie is REALLY bad. Don't even attempt to watch it for that line.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters - 4/10

I remember kind of liking this when I saw it in theaters. It's not awful. The movie both tries way too hard and not hard enough at the same time. It's like it's trying to be a parody, but also it's not. The gore is kind of over the top, which I normally don't mind if it serves a purpose (like in The Night Comes for Us), but in this movie it feeds into the whole "we're trying to be really edgy" theme. It's like "watch this movie because it's based on a children's story, but we say "fuck" a few times, peoples' heads explode, and there's a scene with a boob in it." They clearly marketed it towards 14 year old boys. Interesting strategy for an R-rated movie.

Jack the Giant Slayer threaded the "subverting expectations" needle fairly well by keeping the story sincere. There was no winking at the audience, it still was trying to tell a fairy tale at heart. It was like a knock off Princess Bride. Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters tried to do both, and thus kind of sucks at both. It's still not the worst, though.

The only thing I remember about that movie is the stunt performers more than earning their pay

Wrath of Man - Ritchie and Statham’s floor is higher than most’s ceiling. Not their best work together but really good. 

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train - since this movie is directly from source material unlike most Anime movies, it has an impactful story even though it’s uneven. I will add that the movie should only be watched if you watch the first season since it continues directly after the season 1 finale. 

• Thanks 1

Jupiter's Legacy

Felt way to much like a CW show. The only character I found remotely interesting was the guy with the teleporting rod. I cannot comprehend how these 8 episodes cost $200,000,000 to make, none of actors should have been expensive and nothing on screen seems overly pricey outside of a couple of sets, seriously there must have been embezzlement or something going on.

5/10

26 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Jupiter's Legacy

Felt way to much like a CW show. The only character I found remotely interesting was the guy with the teleporting rod. I cannot comprehend how these 8 episodes cost $200,000,000 to make, none of actors should have been expensive and nothing on screen seems overly pricey outside of a couple of sets, seriously there must have been embezzlement or something going on.

5/10

I’m bummed that I watched the whole thing. I just wanted to see what would happen on the island and it was dumb

I’ve only seen the first episode and thought it was ok, but some sets/costumes felt cheap to me. They should try again and keep it animated like Invincible. I hear the store is great but they sadly struck out on this misfire. Although imagine if the 2 shows were reversed (HOLY SHIT) Although I could see how easily $200M could be spent on Invincible, and wonder how they did all that for just that amount. 

Black Summer - 4/10

There are certain things I like, and the action moments are cool, but that's just it - everything feels like a set up to get to the next cool thing. The plot is often completely nonsensical, a lot of the episodes with major set pieces have you going "wait, what?" by the time it gets there, the characters don't even approach acting rational at any point (it's established that anyone who dies from anything other than a shot to the head turns to a zombie, which you then have to kill all over again, so your plan is to... ambush a group of people with guns, thus even if you win, anyone killed immediately turns to a zombie and tries to kill you... Sure, whatever, it looks cool, throw it in there).

The show is like Plot Device: The Zombie Show

Side note: Can zombie media stop doing the thing where they never refer to zombies as "zombies?" We all know what zombies are, it doesn't change anything.

52 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Side note: Can zombie media stop doing the thing where they never refer to zombies as "zombies?" We all know what zombies are, it doesn't change anything

Its genre blindness and it allows them to set up their own rules on how it spreads and how to deal with it. Unlike Werewolves or Vampire that have fairly strict rules,not calling them Zombies allows them to do what they want, cause If you asked most people what do zombies eat they would say BrAiNs but that only really resides in ROTLD world. Which oddly enough is the only zombie film that refers to another zombie film

Frank: Let me ask you a question, kid. Did you see that movie Night of the Living Dead?
Freddy: Yeah. That's the one where the corpses start eating the people. Shaw! What about it?
Frank: Did you know that movie was based on a true case?
Freddy: Come on. You're shi**ing me, right?
Frank: I've never been more serious in my life.
Freddy: That's not possible. They showed zombies taking over the world.

Burt: (after Burt hits the zombie in the head with a pickaxe) - I thought you said if we destroyed the brain, it'd die!
Frank: (crying) - It worked in the movie!
Burt: Well it ain't working now!
Freddy: (crying) - You mean that in the movie they lied?

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Its genre blindness and it allows them to set up their own rules on how it spreads and how to deal with it. Unlike Werewolves or Vampire that have fairly strict rules,not calling them Zombies allows them to do what they want, cause If you asked most people what do zombies eat they would say BrAiNs but that only really resides in ROTLD world. Which oddly enough is the only zombie film that refers to another zombie film

Frank: Let me ask you a question, kid. Did you see that movie Night of the Living Dead?
Freddy: Yeah. That's the one where the corpses start eating the people. Shaw! What about it?
Frank: Did you know that movie was based on a true case?
Freddy: Come on. You're shi**ing me, right?
Frank: I've never been more serious in my life.
Freddy: That's not possible. They showed zombies taking over the world.

Burt: (after Burt hits the zombie in the head with a pickaxe) - I thought you said if we destroyed the brain, it'd die!
Frank: (crying) - It worked in the movie!
Burt: Well it ain't working now!
Freddy: (crying) - You mean that in the movie they lied?

That all makes sense. I just also find it tiresome.

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think it's more tiresome that they keep making Zombie movies and everyone is always surprised when there is a zombie, like they've never heard of them.

I think that's kind of more what I'm getting at. Like they live in a world where they don't have a name for that.

I think audiences can be trusted to me smart enough to realize different worlds have different rules for zombies. Like not every vampire movie has the same rules for vampires, but they still call them vampires.

On 6/22/2021 at 10:48 PM, TheLeon said:

Season 2 of Evil has started up (yay) on Paramount+ (boo). It’s the same weird show that I can’t decide if it’s great or terrible, only now they can say “fuck”, so that’s cool. 

bums me out that it's on paramount. I enjoyed the first season but not signing up for Paramount for it 

The Alienist Season 1 - Set in NYC at the end of the 19th century, in a lot of ways it feels like a standard “investigators hunt a serial killer” show. The hook here is that a lot of the techniques they use are considered new and radical, like finding fingerprints, establishing a criminal profile to anticipate the killer’s movements, or letting women and Jews do anything. I enjoyed it, and can recommend it if that sounds interesting, but it never really tipped over into “must see” territory.

Crimson Peak - 6/10

It's a slow burn that takes kind of a long time to pay off in any significant way, but it's enjoyable and creepy. The finale does get a bit ridiculous.

Guillermo Del Toro knows how to communicate atmosphere better than basically anyone else.

The Irishman - 7/10

Really good, but good god making it 3.5 hours long was entirely unnecessary. I actually watched it all the way through in one sitting, which says something, but there were definitely parts where I kind of wanted to skip along.

Side note: I was kind of hoping the skipping around with the nursing home stuff would lead to some kind of "unreliable narrator" thing, and maybe that's what it was, because Frank Sheeran's story is 100% full of shit. He's basically claiming to be the Forrest Gump of all major mafia-related events in the 60's and 70's. From the little I've looked into it, he was probably involved with the murder of Jimmy Hoffa, but almost no one thinks he personally pulled the trigger on anyone, let alone Hoffa or Joe Gallo. 

Still, really good movie. Cinematography was A+.