~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Victoria & Abdul: 6.5/10 - a perfectly serviceable movie, that for me crossed the line to humorous (or tried to at least), too many times. 

Darkest Hour: 8.5/10 - I really enjoyed this. The art direction was simple, subtle but otherwise well done. 

Just saw the fighter and black panther today for the first time. 

The Fighter was OK, no desire to really watch it again. D+. Passing means you did OK. 

Black Panther was great. I really liked how quiet the final fight was. B+ movie. 

On 6/24/2018 at 7:34 AM, elbobo said:

Tomb Raider

a perfectly fine unremarkable film that borrows heavily from the reboot game. I guess it is remarkable in the fact that it is a video game movie and it is not terrible. 

6.5/10

On 6/24/2018 at 9:10 AM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Agreed. Also, Alicia Vikander gave a fantastic performance. She was above and beyond the rest of the cast (unfortunately).

2/10 for me. Once they get to the island it's like the screenwriter forgot what they were writing about. It was stupid turn after stupid turn, cliche after cliche... and for a series that is drenched in the supernatural, there's nothing supernatural in the entire film. Huge letdown of a film. It could have been at least decent, but it wasn't. 

19 minutes ago, johnny said:

Isn't the whole tomb thing supernatural lmao 

I saw it months ago and I have a shitty memory, but I remember it being basically supernatural, but they came up with BS  "real" explanations for everything. Like

Spoiler

There wasn't a curse, but she had some intense insta-rot disease that got sealed up in that tomb with her for thousands of years and was active as soon as the tomb was open. 

And of course all the completely unrealistic booby-traps in that tomb, but that's more or less accepted as a thing in movies. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Watched season one of Marcella on Netflix... fun little crime thriller. Nothing amazing but entertaining. 7-10

I've been staring at that for a while thinking about starting it up.

They just dropped a new Anna Torv show called Secret City so thats up first, though. That and GLOW 2 tomorrow.

PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING 3/5
AQ: 4.75/5
PQ: 5/5
3D: 4.5/5

Well is doesn’t match the original, but it’s passable. The movie was pretty much what you would expect with giant monsters and robots. Who cares about the humans and their story, lets just get to the fighting. Now I do admit that I wish the animation of these creatures were slowed down a bit. They seemed a bit fast for their size and Del Toro’s at least felt like you were watching giant lumbering creatures towering over the minuscule beings running for their lives. The 3D wasn’t as good as the first but it was pretty damn close in overall depth and separation. The audio just seemed to get better as the movie went on, as the Atmos overheads really started to ramp up and kick into high gear. You can hear them fighting above you and when inside the the cockpit. You can hear hissing, sparks and system computer parts all around/above you. So I recommend as a rental but an easy purchase for 3D buyers

Sicario: Day of the SOLDADO - 6/10 

I watched this late last night and it was okay. I fell asleep for a bit partly due to boredom and partly due to being tired. This movie is definitely going to give MAGA chuds permanent erections though. Islamic suicide terrorists start pouring over the Mexican border in the opening act.

The Endless

Small indie movie about a couple of brothers that return to a cult they got away from. The first quarter is just kind of there but then it goes into some great wtf is going territory

8/10

The Darkest Hour

Gary Oldman in maximum Gary Oldman chameleon mode, the rest of the film other than his performance is just ok.

6.5/10

On 7/1/2018 at 7:31 AM, elbobo said:

The Endless

Small indie movie about a couple of brothers that return to a cult they got away from. The first quarter is just kind of there but then it goes into some great wtf is going territory

8/10

The Darkest Hour

Gary Oldman in maximum Gary Oldman chameleon mode, the rest of the film other than his performance is just ok.

6.5/10

I watched the endless last Saturday. I thought it was pretty decent until the 3 rd act. It had way to much exposition about what was going on and somethings they didn’t even touch on, it was inconsistent in a frustrating way.

The Expanse -  season 3

I have not read the books but it is pretty clear that this season pulls from two separate books of differing quality. The first half is excellent, second half has a really interesting premise but just never really hit stride. The next season on amazon should be very interesting especially if they give it the budget it needs which honestly this show has always looked good for a show on syfy, I'm fairly surprised they built all those new sets this year.

1st half is 9.5/10 

2nd half is 7/10

overall lets call it a 8/10 

Currently watching GLOW Season 2, it's an incredibly entertaining show that makes me wish it sometimes took itself a bit more seriously.  I also decided to start watching Game of Thrones before work in the morning, most recently watched the Battle of Blackwater.  It's a pleasant reminder that it's one of the best things that has ever been on television. 

I am also making an internal pinkie promise to watch The Soprano's and The Wire this summer.

On 7/1/2018 at 7:31 AM, elbobo said:

The Endless

8/10

The Darkest Hour

6.5/10

On 7/2/2018 at 11:13 AM, SimpleG said:

I watched the endless last Saturday. I thought it was pretty decent until the 3 rd act. It had way to much exposition about what was going on and somethings they didn’t even touch on, it was inconsistent in a frustrating way.

Did either of you watch Resolution? The Endless was the sequel. It all makes a bit more sense having seen Resolution first. 

7 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Did either of you watch Resolution? The Endless was the sequel. It all makes a bit more sense having seen Resolution first. 

They share a universe but its not a sequel.

In other words, five years after their first film concluded with an enigmatic flourish, Moorhead and Benson have brought Chris and Mike back in a crossover event with The Endless. “There’s something kind of punk rock about doing a universe on a micro-budget,” Benson tells Vulture. “I have never heard of it before, so I thought, ‘Oh, that’s kind of fun.’” To be clear, though, The Endless is not a sequel to Resolution; both movies exist fully on their own. It’s not a continuation, either. The Endless isn’t a long con the filmmakers planned to wrap up their first film — not least of all because they didn’t know if their first movie would be their only shot. “We didn’t know if we’d ever be able to make a movie again,” Moorhead says of their plans after making Resolution, which only had a $20,000 budget. “We were like, ‘Well, back to our jobs.’ ”

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/lets-unpack-that-big-twist-in-the-endless.html

Nah, it's a sequel. It directly continues the story of the first film. Through different characters, mind you, but it further develops the events from the first film. 

The Cloverfield movies share a universe and are not sequels... these two movies have more in common with other sequels than they do the Cloverfield movies. 

Regardless of what the filmmakers might say. :p

I also remember watching The Endless and going, hey wait a minute--I know that cabin!!! :lol:

CHiPs - 7/10

The movie was so much more hilarious than it had any right to be. Some genuinely great laughs. I love that they made it a hard R. 

EDIT: There's one part in particular, where I swear they just fucking lost it mid-take, and they ended up keeping it in the movie. Because it was so fucking funny. 

• Haha 1

The Hangover Part 3

I can see why this one did poorly at the box office as it is probably one of the most unnecessary sequels of all time. Nowhere the laughs as the first two and not as innocent in plot. It was still enjoyable enough as I have grown an attachment to the characters. Wish that it had more Jamie Chung. I'm glad I saw it on video and not in the theater. 

3/5 

Lone Wolf And Cub-6 film series

The criterion collection looks fantastic , the audio only comes in with 1.0 but it does sound good.The sword play is awesome and of course the violence/blood is so over the top but it adds to the films charm. Films like Kill Bill V1 and V2 take  inspiration from these films.

NSFW

Spoiler

tumblr_m85smvshc91qedb29o1_500.gif

tumblr_ovo58ld1Pe1wstc5to1_400.gif

tumblr_m87iwq4hjV1qedb29o1_500.gif

Don’t Think Twice 3/5 

cool movie, great first act, ending was pretty meh and I’m not totally sure what they wanted me to take away from it other than “everybody has their own path”. 

The improv stuff is cool but I think for a movie about improv people, they could have done more to really show the viewers why improv is so great. Instead I got a couple laughs. 

Due to being sick, I watched a lot of movies this weekend:

Lady Bird - 4/5 - I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but as a parent with two college-aged kids (and two younger ones) this was a touching, sincere film that reminds me of the importance of communicating with my kids.  After watching it, I went to my daughter and said, "You know, I think you're a remarkable person and I'm glad you're my kid"  She was like, "Stooooop, you're acting like Mom, and it's freaking me out."  :p

Hitman's Bodyguard - 3.5/5 - funny movie, good action, good writing, fun chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and Sam Jackson.  Good popcorn flick.  Not for the little ones - lots of bad language.

Greatest Showman - 4/5 - while completely historically inaccurate, it is a fun movie, so it gets a pass.  Great music that I now own the soundtrack for.  I'm a sucker for musicals and this hit the mark in that regard.

Terminator Genysis - 3/5 - I mean, it had its moments, but there's so much non-nonsensical stuff going on here, you really have to switch your brain off and just go with it.  If you can do that, then the film is entertaining enough. 

Tomb Raider (2018) - 4/5 - I really enjoyed the film.  Alicia Vikander does a wonderful job in the role.  They really paid a lot of homage to the reboot game.  I'm not saying it's a super-smart film by any stretch, but it looks great, has solid performances, and pretty good action.  It's a fun ride.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) - 3.5/5 - Watching this one is like a blast from the past.  It certainly gives you an appreciation for the more... mature?... approach of the new film by contrast.  Regardless, though, the film is still a fun watch.  Angelina Jolie in her prime - I'd forgotten this film also contains perhaps the most epic side-boob shot in all of film history.  On the flip-side for the ladies (or gentlemen of that persuasion), Daniel Craig looking ridiculously ripped.  Holy-Hannah!  I had forgotten they'd had him do an American accent in this film.  There's so many Americans in the movie doing a British accent and then the Brittish actor is doing an American accent... lol

The Strangers: Prey at Night --  -50/10

These filmmakers find a way to write the dumbest fucking characters possible when making these two movies. You know that Geico commercial where a group of kids are being chased by a guy with a chainsaw? And they decide to hide in the shed with every knife known to man instead of getting into the running car? Well, The Strangers is the movie version. 

They should just rename the series "How to Act if Survival is NOT your Goal". 

And yet, based solely on the outcome of the movie, it's twice as good as the first one. 

Unrelated, Christina Hendricks should really just completely avoid bathrooms. :lol: