~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Amy 5/5 

What a tragedy. Shows how impossible it is to handle sudden superstardom especially when you don’t have the support system and structure in your life. How can anybody be expected to make the right decisions by themselves? “She worshipped the ground her dad walked on. She wanted him to come to St. Lucia. Instead he showed up with a camera crew”

21 hours ago, elbobo said:

The Terminator

From the discussion in the thread about the latest terminator movie I decided to revisit this after at least 20 years. It still holds up, just a great 80s flick. The stop motion of the terminator skeleton and the robo-eye head is sketchy but the animatonric puppet still looks great today. The plot and characters do everything they need to and it all just clicks.

9/10

The movie is still excellent.

Bull Durham - not at all what I expected, delightful

Kids - not at all what I expected ... that's about it

Silverado - every classic western in a blender, in a good way

The Long Riders - gotta bone up on Hill, his takes on genre films are stellar

The Last Seduction - John Dahl should do more film, this and Rounders are excellent

From Dusk Til Dawn - wish I didn't know the twist beforehand, but fun

Mission: Impossible - Fallout - keep the "Tom Cruise is amazing" ethos solely to the action and out of the dialogue please; great otherwise

Sorry to Bother You - ehhhhhhh Boots Riley gets in his own way for much of this; lot of ideas here, but severely hamstrung

Oldboy (2013, rewatch) - still prefer this to the original, if only for the ending

The Man from UNCLE - where's my sequel?

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - 8/10

I picked up the 4k BD and regular BD combo pack (now I just need a 4k TV!). I hadn't seen this movie before seeing Fallout. All the movie podcasts I listen to seemed to rank this one above Fallout, but I couldn't disagree more. I still really enjoyed Rogue Nation, but the action—what this franchise is all about—was so much better in Fallout

The Spy Who Dumped Me - 7/10

Awful title? Check. Made for TV premise? Check. But I'll be damned if I don't want more of McKinnon and Kunis joking with and teasing each other. And more R rated comedies. I thought it was fun and genuinely hilarious in a lot of moments. It's not all brilliance but that doesn't matter since Mila Kunis is one of my all time Hollywood crushes.

Also, weirdly, there was a lot of genuinely good and fun action in this movie.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 3:32 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

The Spy Who Dumped Me - 7/10

Awful title? Check. Made for TV premise? Check. But I'll be damned if I don't want more of McKinnon and Kunis joking with and teasing each other. And more R rated comedies. I thought it was fun and genuinely hilarious in a lot of moments. It's not all brilliance but that doesn't matter since Mila Kunis is one of my all time Hollywood crushes.

Also, weirdly, there was a lot of genuinely good and fun action in this movie.

If Kate Mckinnon is in a movie, I want to see it.

Gladiator 

It's been quite awhile since I have seen this but I wanted my son to see it. It's a little slower than I remember but still a excellent watch. Phoenix just gets better every time I watch and Russell Crowe just owns this role. And again, Hans Zimmer....nuff said.

My son also loved it.

5/5

Death of Superman 

It's funny that this is WB's 3rd Crack at this but they finally nailed it. This may be my favorite Superman story of all time just due to Superman not quitting knowing what's at stake but what makes it so great is the people around in his life and seeing how much Superman means to them and Metropolis. Superman:Doomsday and Dawn of Justice failed at all of this. The set up for the real Return of Superman with the 4 copies coming is something that can be done right with the Man of Steel's inevitable return.

5/5

Terminator 2

First complete watch in at least 15 years but due to the number of lines I knew word for word I watched this movie a LOT in the 90s.

This is an absolute action movie masterpiece. The last hour of this movie could be a 400 film course unto itself, it is perfection from the time they show up the cyberdyne building till the credits. I talked about it in the in T1 vs T2 thread, the great stunts in this film but I down played how spectacular they are, everything that is mind blowing in this film was done with real people risking their lives or top tier animatironics, they do not make films like this anymore.

Die Hard came out in  1988, T2 in 1991 and then we had a 25 year gap till Fury Road. I honestly think for everything T2 did right it set the stage for all the over used CG in the 90s and 2000s, T2 used CG only when it was impossible to do it for real, following movies did it when it was easier and it ends up looking like an easy out. Why is T2 awesome because that is real semi dropping 20 feet into a concrete runoff, because 5000s squibs were used in the cyberdyne seige, because an insane helicopter pilot did the best flying that will ever be filmed, because Stan Winston is a god, they did it for real until they couldn't, everyone else did it CG because it was easier. 

My only real complaints about this movie are the villain disappears for an hour and I want to slap the sound designer for using suppressed gun sounds all the time when the guns are clearly not suppressed. 

Those a quibbles, this is a top 5 all time film for me.

10/10 

2 hours ago, elbobo said:

Terminator 2

First complete watch in at least 15 years but due to the number of lines I knew word for word I watched this movie a LOT in the 90s.

This is an absolute action movie masterpiece. The last hour of this movie could be a 400 film course unto itself, it is perfection from the time they show up the cyberdyne building till the credits. I talked about it in the in T1 vs T2 thread, the great stunts in this film but I down played how spectacular they are, everything that is mind blowing in this film was done with real people risking their lives or top tier animatironics, they do not make films like this anymore.

Die Hard came out in  1988, T2 in 1991 and then we had a 25 year gap till Fury Road. I honestly think for everything T2 did right it set the stage for all the over used CG in the 90s and 2000s, T2 used CG only when it was impossible to do it for real, following movies did it when it was easier and it ends up looking like an easy out. Why is T2 awesome because that is real semi dropping 20 feet into a concrete runoff, because 5000s squibs were used in the cyberdyne seige, because an insane helicopter pilot did the best flying that will ever be filmed, because Stan Winston is a god, they did it for real until they couldn't, everyone else did it CG because it was easier. 

My only real complaints about this movie are the villain disappears for an hour and I want to slap the sound designer for using suppressed gun sounds all the time when the guns are clearly not suppressed. 

Those a quibbles, this is a top 5 all time film for me.

10/10 

Hell yeah! It's a serious masterpiece of cinema that has damn near a perfect beat for what a movie should consist of. 

Lol, I so agree with as well about the disappearance of the T-1000 there but the story is so engaging you don't think about it until your discussing it well after the film. 

Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation

I am so late to this movie. I usually see the MI movies opening weekend and I see the 5th installment 2-3 weeks into the 6th movie's run. Life must have been happening big time during the release. It's a amazing how this is the fifth film and it's still action packed and to have scene that are still thrilling for how Ethan gets pit of it this time. The villain was rather generic but everybody else in the film had a pulse that I was so interested in. I was engaged from start to finish. 

5/5

I've got a few.

Say Anything 4/10

Probably because I loathe the genre or I wasn't from the era, but I cared little about the movie.

The Godfather Part 1 8/10

I'm under the assumption that these movies were directed to be built with multiple parts, but I appreciate the slow burn and buildup of what's going on within the movie.  Though I think I'm sort of missing something with Michael's exile

Spoiler

Not a fan of him marrying in Italy when he was supposedly faithful to Kay.  Just seemed out of place, but maybe it's metaphor to his slow change of character after getting involved with his family's organized crime? 

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3/10

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLO.  That's how it felt watching it.  God, why?

A Midsummer Night’s Dream - 4/5 - My wife and I went to support our friend who was in the local production.  They did a great job with the set and costumes. The actor who played Oberon was awful. He couldn’t project his voice and it was impossible to hear him. The production made a big deal about him but he was the worst on stage. Our friend did great for her first play and only flubbed a couple of lines. 

13 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

A Midsummer Night’s Dream - 4/5 - My wife and I went to support our friend who was in the local production.  They did a great job with the set and costumes. The actor who played Oberon was awful. He couldn’t project his voice and it was impossible to hear him. The production made a big deal about him but he was the worst on stage. Our friend did great for her first play and only flubbed a couple of lines. 

They're running this near my house, but it's over the weekend and we're set for heavy wind and rain.  One day I'll catch a production in person.

Psycho Pass the Movie

It was good. Great to see an old face. Always allow me to do some deep thinking about society, level of peace, crime, and deviance. I'm just sad it's all over seeing as this is the very end of Psycho Pass. 

4/5

(OH SNAP, just learned that Psycho Pass will get a new animated movie in January 2019, YAY)

THE MEG 3D 2/5

It should of been called The Meh! It is a cheesy B movie but it needed more gore and better original shark ideas. The 3D was ok and wish they could of done more with it for scares and scale of The Meg itself. I would best describe it as a Lake Placid type of film with danger and laughs along the way. Although unlike The Meg I actually enjoyed Lake Placid and would recommend renting/streaming that instead.

More of a PSA, but if it comes to America, everyone should watch the Great British Menu.  The best 3 chef's from each region of the UK are in competition (being judged by a world famous British chef in each reason) to cook a dish at a banquet (this year, in honour of the NHS). 

It's essentially the best chefs around, in direct competition with each other, trying to be extra fancy and clever with their food.  

As a fan of a cooking programme, it's just the tippy top. 

The Tale (on HBO)

A cleverly told story about investigating one's own past. It's as difficult a subject as I can imagine putting on film, and had points that made me physically unwell. It's a difficult movie to recommend despite its obvious care and craft.

If you don't know anything about the story being told, I'll just say that I was grateful they put a title card up at the end of it saying that all sex scenes with minors were filmed with adult body doubles.

Deadpool 2 extended cut

In a vacuum I think this might actually be better than the first one but obviously it is not watched in a vacuum it is a sequel and has a lot of been there done this feel to it but I still had a great time.

The X-men main group gag was hilarious and the line about a guy who can't draw feet might the geekiest thing ever in a movie. Also if there was ever a movie to sit and watch/listen to every second of the ending credits it is this one.

8.5/10

• Like 1

I re-watched the Last Jedi tonight after not seeing it since it's initial release.  On a second viewing, it came across as a much better movie.  The elements of humour that stuck out initially, played well with the tone of the characters involved and the action scenes, the over-arching plot and the conclusion were all fantastic.  

It did still have some decidedly stupid elements that required some suspension of disbelief, but when we're in the Star Wars that's fairly easy to do.  It's made me both excited to see the conclusion to the trilogy and also look forward to when the Solo movie appears either on Amazon, Netflix or Sky. 

Atlanta Season 1 and 2

season 1

Felt fresh and original with a good mix of humor and drama and just a nice slow burn.

8.5/10

Season 2

The last 3 episodes were good the rest of the season was just weird, with the piano episode just being full of WTF. Having single character focused episodes did not work IMO.

5/10

Director Peter Berg and his muse (?) Mark Wahlberg were on a great run with Lone Survivor, Deepwater Horizon, and Patriot's Day.

Mile 22 looks like 99 cent Michael Bay by way of 99 cent Michael Mann through a shitty version of Sicario 2. It looks awful - I imagine only Trump voters would enjoy Mile 22.