~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

55 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

How many are there?

There are 10 films and 2 TV series. The first 5 films are part of the original "canon", then there's Tim Burton's one-off remake from 2001, and now the four new ones that are the new "canon". 

• Thanks 1

The weekend recap:

-Narc (2002; dir. Joe Carnahan): 8/10

-Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011; dirs. Glenn Ficarra/John Requa): 7.5/10

-Paterson (2016; dir. Jim Jarmusch): 7/10

-The Final Master (2015; dir. Haofeng Xu): 6/10

-The Big Boss (1971; dir. Wei Lo): 7/10

-Blue Velvet (1986; dir. David Lynch): 8/10

-99 Homes (2014; dir. Ramin Bahrani): 7/10

-On the Count of Three (2021; dir. Jerrod Carmichael): 7/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Movie 5 - Cooler's Revenge (1991; dir. Mitsuo Hashimoto): 6/10

• Halal 1

I rewatched My Darling Clementine. Again. 10/10. 5 stars. A perfect movie. It’s the prettiest black and white movie you will ever see. Only John Ford would make a movie about the Shootout at the OK Corral but have the climax be a dance at a church social. 

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Entergalactic: 7/10

I got back into Kid Cudi recently and discovered he did a movie for Netflix (with an accompanying soundtrack of course). It's very clear up front the animation in this was very Spider-Verse inspired though the frame rate feels a bit chunkier. The film (or technically an hour and a half long continuous series of TV episodes, but easier to say movie) is about a guy named Jabari (voiced by Kid Cudi) a street artist turned comic book artist to turn his character Mr. Rager (If you're familiar with his music you'll recognize this) into a comic book. He has a neighbor, Meadow, that is a photographer and they cross paths eventually fall in love and of course there is some rockiness in the middle but would you be surprised if I said they somehow reconciled and got back together?

So that was the biggest issue for me. If you take away the art style this is basically the most standard love story you will see. It's a nice pleasant time with a laid back soundtrack with some cool visual moments. But I feel like they really should have pushed the boundaries on this one, instead they played it safe.

• Thanks 1

Godzilla Minus One

Between this and Shin-Godzilla I have to wonder was Godzilla always terrifying and the movie making tech just wasn't there to properly present it? There are so many classic Godzilla shots in this movie, the attack on the city in particular plays out exactly like a greatest hits reel but it works perfectly. Movie definitely peaks during that attack and second half is a little tropey for my tastes but still a great movie.

8/10

Wander Earth 2

The first movie was the most absurd thing I think I may have ever watched, the Chinese love child of a coked up Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich. This is very much the sequel, well actually its a prequel. If you liked the first one you like this, I did not enjoy them. I shouted "fucking what" multiple times during this movie.

3/10

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, elbobo said:

Wander Earth 2

The first movie was the most absurd thing I think I may have ever watched, the Chinese love child of a coked up Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich. This is very much the sequel, well actually its a prequel. If you liked the first one you like this, I did not enjoy them. I shouted "fucking what" multiple times during this movie.

3/10

I didn't think they were as bad as this due to the amount of imaginative sci-fi tech on display and the opening action scene with the drones in The Wandering Earth Part II was pretty dope I thought. That being said, neither movie is as good as each could have been. Some really good individual scenes and filmmaking on display but I had ultimately hoped for more. 

The weekend recap: 

-The Holdovers (2023; dir. Alexander Payne): 7.5/10

-Dream Scenario (2023; dir. Kristoffer Borgli): 7.5/10

-Eraserhead (1977; David Lynch): 7.5/10

-Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992; dir. Francis Ford Coppola): 7/10

-Django Unchained (2012; dir. Quentin Tarantino): 9/10

-G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009; dir. Stephen Sommers): 5/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Movie 6 - The Return of Cooler (1992; dir. Daisuke Nishio): 6.5/10

• Hype 2

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) - 9/10

Yeah... that's a banger. Remember when directors let their actors, well, act? The scene between Shaw and Marco where Shaw is explaining his past while they're both getting hammered. That was like a ten minute no-cut scene. Frank Sinatra is a cool cat and the golden age of Hollywood is on full display in this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Challengers - 3/5 - Bursting at the seams with horny energy, Luca Guadagnino gets his money's worth out of Reznor and Ross's soundtrack and then some. Zendaya summons all her mega movie star energy here, but I felt like she was a bit let down by her co-stars. 

I Saw The TV Glow - 4/5 - Awash in a familiar nostalgia of late 90s neon, I Saw the TV Glow begins its journey exploring how much media can mean to young minds. From there it becomes both more and less complicated than it seems. Less a coming of age story and more about failing to grow up, it both is and is not a mystery. It is consistently beautiful. The film plays tricks on both subjects and audience, blending the hypnotic visuals from across eras to blur the lines between realities in a way likely familiar to those old enough to have revisited our young obsessions with fresh eyes. There are a few marks I didn't feel like the film fully hit, but it's a trip well worth taking.

Mad Max Fury Road - 5/5 - It's been a few good years since I've rewatched Fury Road, and I was almost afraid to pull it up, scared that its legend in my mind had outgrown the reality. Turns out it was better than I remembered. It's beautiful and insane in all the best ways and I'm excited to see how Miller follows it up.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I Saw The TV Glow - 4/5 - Awash in a familiar nostalgia of late 90s neon, I Saw the TV Glow begins its journey exploring how much media can mean to young minds. From there it becomes both more and less complicated than it seems. Less a coming of age story and more about failing to grow up, it both is and is not a mystery. It is consistently beautiful. The film plays tricks on both subjects and audience, blending the hypnotic visuals from across eras to blur the lines between realities in a way likely familiar to those old enough to have revisited our young obsessions with fresh eyes. There are a few marks I didn't feel like the film fully hit, but it's a trip well worth taking.

I've been wanting to watch this one because it looks to totally be my kind of vibe. And a band I really like is on the soundtrack apparently.

spacer.png

[Plex]

War Witch: 7/10

War Witch is a fictional movie (though it very could be a real story) about a 12 year old girl forced to murder her parents and become a child soldier. The rebels take her and a bunch of other children and teach them how to use AK-47s so they can kill government soldiers. The girl, Komona, has visions of ghosts when government soldiers are around and is declared a witch and taken to the leader, the Grand Tiger, for special treatment (or a "magical" AK). It isn't all hopeless though as she falls in love (sort of) with another soldier that is known as Magician, and they attempt to break free from the whole child soldier thing. Some things get better, others get worse. But as I said it's not totally bleak the whole way through, which makes it somewhat interesting that there is some kind of hope that something positive might happen.

• Thanks 1

I finally watched Everything Everywhere All At Once last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the amazing costumes, the cinematography, the overall message, the action shots....  excellent stuff! 9/10

Edit - I should also mention that the editing was amazing. I know they won an Oscar for it, but that was also very well-deserved IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Hype 2

The weekend recap:

-Anatomy of a Fall (2023; dir. Justine Triet): 7.5/10

-The Fall Guy (2024; dir. David Leitch): 7/10

-Fair Play (2023; dir. Chloe Domont): 7/10

-Leave the World Behind (2023; dir. Sam Esmail): 6.5/10

-Argylle (2024; dir. Matthew Vaughn): 6/10

-G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013; dir. Jon M. Chu): 6/10

-The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017; dir. Yorgos Lanthimos): 7/10

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Dream Scenario...what a bizarre trippy film 

It definitely is. What I particularly liked about it (beyond the great Nic Cage performance) was the unique premise and how modern the film feels in that it's tackling a modern issue (fame and social media) from a very strange perspective. Not an amazing film but definitely one of the better ones and worth watching. I gave it a 7.5/10 earlier on this page which is pretty high for me. 

On 5/19/2024 at 11:35 AM, elbobo said:

Godzilla Minus One

Between this and Shin-Godzilla I have to wonder was Godzilla always terrifying and the movie making tech just wasn't there to properly present it? There are so many classic Godzilla shots in this movie, the attack on the city in particular plays out exactly like a greatest hits reel but it works perfectly. Movie definitely peaks during that attack and second half is a little tropey for my tastes but still a great movie.

8/10

That has always been my “conflict with the franchise.. the various tones. Im sure those within the fandom have their preferences between serious and light hearted… I like them on the serious side but I get the need for variety

Of the more serious ones Return of Godzilla (1985) you can see the tech is hampering the seriousness of it all. 

In GMK (2001), they had the director of the 90s Gamera trilogy (better than anything Toho did at the time) and he was set to deliver something truly special but Tohos own 1 year turnaround with minimal post production held that one back from its full potential..(still within top 5 of the franchise)

Conan the Barbarian- 10/10 Its still incredibly great. Almost operatic (specially the beginning) and maintains great dialog economy. The people that should talk alot do (James Earl Jones). Sandahl Bergman is great as ever as Valeria. Since dialog is limited its not the acting as much as the movement that allows the actors to function in the roles. Seeing the Snake Cult makes me want to hear Trumps ramblings using James Earl Jones voice since they both run cults of personality. Lastly the score is still spectacular, if Basil had only done one score his entire career he’d still be a legend for this. 

Conan the Destroyer- 6/10 Perhaps its not the smartest idea to watch this so soon after the original. Makes the gap between them seem that much larger. Right from the go there is a downgrade. The new themes are still solid except it feels as if only half the orchestra is actually playing. The “seriousness” of the original is immediately discarded and the whole thing becomes tongue-in-cheek (having Jokers henchman Bob as the sidekick makes the tone perfectly clear). Its still worth an occasional  watch but its certainly more in line with the slew of ripoffs that followed Conans success.. at this point I now wonder if its even on par with Beastmaster or the Barbarians. Guess I will watch Beastmaster next and find out. Dodgeballs patches o'houlihan vs the reporter from V the miniseries…

new thing I learned today Olivia D’Abo was only 14 years old in this film.. never occurred to me to question or consider her age

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Doctor Slump (닥터슬럼프): 7/10

Doctor Slump is kind of an everything type show starring the Meryl Streep of Korea, Park Shin-hye. Park Hyung-sik is also in it who you may recognize from Happiness and Strong Girl Bong-soon. Park Shin-hye is Nam Ha-neul an anesthesiologist and Park Hyung-sik plays Yeo- Jeong-woo a plastic surgeon. In high school these two were top of their class, rivals of sorts, but later in life hit a snag. She quits her job after being diagnosed with depression (but also due to abuse from her superiors at work as well) while Jeong-woo has to close up his practice after an accident with a wealthy heiress. So the first half of the show is actually quite compelling. It deals a lot with depression and PTSD and is kind of almost a legal romantic medical mystery drama. Park Shin-hye is great as always showing a variety of emotions. But after around the 10th episode (there are 16) it feels like the show could have wrapped up. But it goes on and ties up every loose end and feels like a very different show by that point. The supporting cast really gets involved, there is like a whole other love story going on. Jang Hye-jin is the mother and she did a great job as well. The second half is still fun to watch but not as compelling as the first half. I wavered on giving it between an 8 or a 7, but half points are for cowards we all know so ultimately I landed on a 7.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

[Plex]

The Disappearance of Alice Creed: 6/10

This Disappearance of Alice Creed is a lot like one of those crime goes awry types of movies and filmed on @gamer.tv's very own Isle of Man. It begins with two blokes that are buying and setting up a soundproof bedroom that they could kidnap some bird. So the two have a plan, and they kidnap the girl but one of the guys has another plan and you pretty much know how this is going to go down. I think this film may appeal to fetishists since a lot of it is tying Gemma Arterton to a bed. However, it's not terrifying or violent because these guys just want the money. In a way keeping it safe kind of strips a lot of tension away from the movie. On the other hand the film is just a cast of three and they do their job well, like an elaborate play of sorts. But overall it felt like a been there done that, and seen it done better but isn't bad type of movies.

• Thanks 1

GODZILLA MINUS ONE (Japanese Atmos/E.S.T) 4.25/5

I liked it a lot and I can see why Spielberg watched it tons of times. It’s pretty much Godzilla but seen through the lense of Speilberg’s JAWS. The main character has a story and reason to care for them. The SFX are really stunning at times and at others looking ok. Still, I’m happy to see such a beloved/long lasting series get a reward finally. The real treat here is the original Japanese Atmos track because she is completely enveloping and consistently active, even in the quieter moments when nature takes hold. Came close to buying the 4K 4 disc edition from Japan but I don’t think it has any English subtitles (but could usb the track for my Oppo) Still might get because it has the B&W version as well, and lots of nods to the Godzilla’s of old. So thanks you Netflix for the drop and everyone check it out. Just make sure if you’re Atmos equipped, to watch it in Japanese to take advantage of. 

• Thanks 1

Godzilla Minus One glad to finally get to see it again, was beginning to think it was never releasing over here.  Enjoyed it more of the big screen naturally but still a great flick.

Anyone But You...as a huge fan of Much Ado About Nothing I appreciated all the references and it was a cute enough flick but I don't why people flip over Sweeny.