~*The Official Thread of Hero Cop Valor and Bravery*~

Turns out firemen are just cops who like to nap more.

00fdnyrace1-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The Fire Department has long faced allegations of discrimination. But after George Floyd’s murder, a thread of racist messages renewed concerns about the department’s racial climate.

5775.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

PC David Carrick to appear in court on Monday over incident in Hertfordshire in September 2020

PC David Carrick, 46, of Stevenage, allegedly attacked a woman in St Albans on the night of 4 September 2020 while off-duty.

Dame Cressida Dick, Metropolitan police commissioner, said she was “deeply concerned” by the news.

“I fully recognise the public will be very concerned too,” she added. “Criminal proceedings must now take their course, so I am unable to comment any further at this stage.”

Parliamentary and diplomatic protection command officers guard government-owned buildings, including the Palace of Westminster, and embassies.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:
ap21240845876245_wide-9b58ec00d36de7d4cc
WWW.NPR.ORG

As the Louisiana State Police reel from the fallout of the deadly 2019 arrest of Ronald Greene, an AP investigation has revealed it is part of a pattern of violence...

Most of those beaten in the cases AP found were Black, in keeping with the agency's own tally that 67% of its uses of force in recent years have targeted Black people — double the percentage of the state's Black population. AP reporting revealed that a secret panel the state police set up this year to determine whether troopers systematically abused Black motorists was just as secretly shut down, leaving the agency blind to potential misconduct.

AmeriKKKa at its "best".

In another case from August 2019, Darrell Smith, a white motorist who fled a traffic stop near Baton Rouge, contended in a lawsuit that troopers caught up with him and beat him beyond recognition, causing him to be hospitalized with temporary kidney failure. A use-of-force report leaves unchecked whether body-camera video exists and lists Smith's injuries as "nonincapacitating." Smith's lawsuit says troopers shared a photo of him after the beating with his eyes swollen shut and the caption: "This is what happens when you run from the police."

Oh that's right - the cops hate poor whites too.

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Jesus Christ Almighty.

I DUNNO, GERMAN, MAYBE THE FACT THAT WE DO HAVE HIGHER RATES OF VIOLENT CRIME MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH OUR INCARCERATION RATES FOR NOT-SO-VIOLENT CRIMES?!?!?

What is the causal factor at play here?

25 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The United States of America itself and everything that implies from its ongoing racial legacy to economic dislocation caused by a warped view of market economics to its Protestant views on criminal justice/punishment.

That wasn’t what you argued in the quoted post. To clarify the question based on what you said, what do the incarceration rates for non-violent crime do to cause higher violent crime rates?

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That wasn’t what you argued in the quoted post. To clarify the question based on what you said, what do the incarceration rates for non-violent crime do to cause higher violent crime rates?

Higher incarceration/criminalization rates for non-violent crimes means that when the offender is released, that individual will have fewer opportunities to earn a living in the mainstream economy as a significant number of jobs would be closed off due to either having a criminal record or long-term incarceration.  With these reduced "legitimate" economic opportunities, the probability of recidivism to simply earn a living increases, coupled with greater potential that the person may engage in riskier criminal activities (such as drug-dealing) where violence becomes more prevalent.

This causation really does tie-in with what I claimed in my original post where those foundational elements of American society essentially conspire disproportionately punish the initial non-violent offense.

• True 1

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Higher incarceration/criminalization rates for non-violent crimes means that when the offender is released, that individual will have fewer opportunities to earn a living in the mainstream economy as a significant number of jobs would be closed off due to either having a criminal record or long-term incarceration.  With these reduced "legitimate" economic opportunities, the probability of recidivism to simply earn a living increases, coupled with greater potential that the person may engage in riskier criminal activities (such as drug-dealing) where violence becomes more prevalent.

I’m not sure there is much evidence that released non-violent prisoners become violent criminals at a significant rate. Where have you seen this?

I have actually seen more evidence that released violent prisoners become non-violent criminals post release than to be repeat violent criminals.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not sure there is much evidence that released non-violent prisoners become violent criminals at a significant rate. Where have you seen this?

I have actually seen more evidence that released violent prisoners become non-violent criminals post release than to be repeat violent criminals.

If I did see the evidence somewhere, it's so long gone from my memory that I might as well be making it up :p

However, it doesn't appear to be an unreasonable assumption on my part that the factors that contribute to recidivism could theoretically lead to previously non-violent offenders essentially being "forced" into criminal activities that do have a higher risk of violence.