~*The Official Thread of Hero Cop Valor and Bravery*~

On 6/3/2021 at 6:25 AM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It will 100% be used against peaceful protestors during "illegal" protests

Would you say a device like that is worse than what's already used by riot cops? Also, and to ask a hypothetical, if patrol units were forced to swap actual guns for the bola devices, do you think the outcome would be more positive, less, or roughly the same?

1 hour ago, heydude93 said:

Would you say a device like that is worse than what's already used by riot cops? Also, and to ask a hypothetical, if patrol units were forced to swap actual guns for the bola devices, do you think the outcome would be more positive, less, or roughly the same?

It's worse because this would be in addition to, not in place of, their current gear.

Cops won't give up their guns it's a dumb hypothetical. We're better off limiting when and in what situations cops are the means of state intervention

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's worse because this would be in addition to, not in place of, their current gear.

Cops won't give up their guns it's a dumb hypothetical. We're better off limiting when and in what situations cops are the means of state intervention

Ok but assuming it COULD be possible, how it would ever happen I don't know, but if patrol units were forced to switch out bullet guns for a device like that, would it mostly be a positive, negative, or inconsequential change compared to what currently exists?

1 minute ago, heydude93 said:

Ok but assuming it COULD be possible, how it would ever happen I don't know, but if police were forced to switch out bullet guns for a device like that, would it mostly be a positive, negative, or inconsequential change compared to what currently exists?

The liberation of the international working class is more likely, it's really not worth considering.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The liberation of the international working class is more likely, it's really not worth considering.

Ignoring the bola gun stuff specifically... do you think law enforcement reform - including changing standards expected of law enforcers, policing quotas, as well as some laws (like drug prohibition) that lead citizens being negatively impacted - is an achievable goal... something worth working towards?

1 hour ago, heydude93 said:

Ignoring the bola gun stuff specifically... do you think law enforcement reform - including changing standards expected of law enforcers, policing quotas, as well as some laws (like drug prohibition) that lead citizens being negatively impacted - is an achievable goal... something worth working towards?

That is good and fine and may be achievable, tbd here, but disarming police will simply not happen as much as I'd be fine with it because squishy libs can imagine the utility in having cops with arms. so limiting citizen interactions with police is generally the better strategy for reform, as it can be done at scale that may be achievable unlike with the Camden model

49 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That is good and fine and may be achievable, tbd here, but disarming police will simply not happen as much as I'd be fine with it because squishy libs can imagine the utility in having cops with arms. so limiting citizen interactions with police is generally the better strategy for reform, as it can be done at scale that may be achievable unlike with the Camden model

yea limiting the amount of policing via changing/updating laws, stuff like basic income, etc seems more likely to happen before de-arming police for sure.

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I often bitch about the language the press uses when it comes to police shootings, but this mangled jumble of words is something else.

Let me see if I have this right. Two retired cops saw a fight between a 33yo and an 86yo. While trying to break it up, one of the retired cops pulled out his gun and shot the 33yo in the arm and killed his buddy. The 33yo is now on the hook for negligent homicide and manslaughter for the death of the retired cop that was killed by friendly fire plus assault for his role in the fight with the 86yo.

Cool.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

I often bitch about the language the press uses when it comes to police shootings, but this mangled jumble of words is something else.

Let me see if I have this right. Two retired cops saw a fight between a 33yo and an 86yo. While trying to break it up, one of the retired cops pulled out his gun and shot the 33yo in the arm and killed his buddy. The 33yo is now on the hook for negligent homicide and manslaughter for the death of the retired cop that was killed by friendly fire plus assault for his role in the fight with the 86yo.

Cool.

Full House Ok GIF

AVKL7CNZ4N3MHCE2ABXJVXIH4A.jpg
WWW.BOSTONGLOBE.COM

Federal investigators have linked a former police union president and the ex-wife of the fired police commissioner to the growing scandal.

I’m surprised that anything is happening at all… it’s a known thing that Boston city and Mass State Police abuse the ever living shit out of the overtime system. It’s a weird situation in that I’m surprised anything is happening and I’m surprised that the number of people implicated and the amount of hours they’re claiming to have worked is so low. Based on everything I’ve heard from people in the know or adjacent to it, these scandals are much wider in scope and payout than is being reported.

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:
AVKL7CNZ4N3MHCE2ABXJVXIH4A.jpg
WWW.BOSTONGLOBE.COM

Federal investigators have linked a former police union president and the ex-wife of the fired police commissioner to the growing scandal.

I’m surprised that anything is happening at all… it’s a known thing that Boston city and Mass State Police abuse the ever living shit out of the overtime system. It’s a weird situation in that I’m surprised anything is happening and I’m surprised that the number of people implicated and the amount of hours they’re claiming to have worked is so low. Based on everything I’ve heard from people in the know or adjacent to it, these scandals are much wider in scope and payout than is being reported.

Yeah, I've never not known of a time when cops didn't abuse overtime in this state, and especially in Boston. I have zero idea why this is only picking up steam right now. I can only guess that police budgets have been getting more scrutiny lately. That chief out of Methuen pulling in $300k+/yr probably wasn't helping.

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, I've never not known of a time when cops didn't abuse overtime in this state, and especially in Boston. I have zero idea why this is only picking up steam right now. I can only guess that police budgets have been getting more scrutiny lately. That chief out of Methuen pulling in $300k+/yr probably wasn't helping.

It’s really wild, and just an understood part of the culture. I get that AGs and the Globe can’t report on hearsay but I don’t think they’ve ever bothered to be particularly subtle about it. The Boston scandal focusing specifically on one evidence storage location is particularly… strange.

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It’s really wild, and just an understood part of the culture. I get that AGs and the Globe can’t report on hearsay but I don’t think they’ve ever bothered to be particularly subtle about it. The Boston scandal focusing specifically on one evidence storage location is particularly… strange.

It really is. The overtime scams I've seen are "off duty" cops covering clubs and getting paid overtime plus whatever they're making from those clubs. There's the great directing traffic around Comcast trucks that are ALWAYS overtime, no matter how many hours they've actually worked that week. I mean everything is considered overtime. Driving out of your district to help out with a traffic stop? Overtime. Scary black dude you pulled over? We need five cars and everyone is getting overtime for this.

I didn't even know any of this was a secret or at least supposed to be.

So this cop was pulling someone over for speeding on the freeway, the driver slowed down, moved to the far right lane, and put on their hazards, looking for a safe place to pull over given the very narrow shoulder. Half a mile before an exit, after only 2 full minutes the cop decides they're fleeing the scene and used a PIT maneuver, flipping the small SUV. Pregnant driver is now suing the Arkansas State Police.

In 2020 AK State Police used PIT maneuvers 144 times last year, double the year before, resulting in at least 3 deaths.

The driver's actions followed the exact textbook procedures.

• Guillotine 1