Tetris Effect - DON'T SIT ON THIS!

Bjomesphat

So the demo came out yesterday with the full game releasing next week, and I am definitely blown away. At it's core it's still just Tetris with some minor tweaks, but it's definitely an experience now. The music and the visuals are so engrossing, it really puts you in a zen-like Tetris state. I don't consider myself a good Tetris player at all, but as I played the endurance mode, I was managing speeds I've never been able to handle before. There's really something with how the pieces move with the music, and the visual design that helps to relax you and keep you focused.

With all that said, this is my experience playing on a TV with surround sound. I would probably lose my mind playing in VR, but unfortunately I'm stuck on 20th century tech! Is anyone else planning on getting this? Any VR impressions? Obviously the biggest hurdle is the price point. At $40 that is super steep for a Tetris game. If you appreciate what it's doing it's totally worth it, but I get that being a deal breaker.

• Guillotine 1

I played the demo, was really thinking I would wait until I bet it’s $20 during the holiday sale but I think I’m going to bite for $36 with plus. It’s pretty damn zone in vr, I can still see blocks falling into place everywhere. Might not be healthy.

• Haha 1

I think $40 is fine for a tetris game with lots of modes and online like the nintendo ds one, I think it’s worth it here in vr, I don’t think it’s worth it here if you are not playing in vr really. Tetris doesn’t automatically not warrant a $40 price just because it’s Tetris, it depends what is being done with it. Like not a complete like for like example but Puyo Puyo vs Tetris on Switch is totally worth $40 with all its modes and lengthy story mode.

I played the demo and it's a fantastic example of music amplifying the experience. I felt my pulse racing as levels got more hectic and the music was pumping through the surround (I cranked it up). But as others said, no way, I'm spending $40 on that. I'll maybe get it when it's way cheaper.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:47 PM, stepee said:

I played the demo, was really thinking I would wait until I bet it’s $20 during the holiday sale but I think I’m going to bite for $36 with plus. It’s pretty damn zone in vr, I can still see blocks falling into place everywhere. Might not be healthy.

After I wrote this I decided it’s just still too much for tetris. Then I couldn’t stop thinking about, so i played the demo idk like 6 more times, maybe 3 hours I played it in total, and still thought eh but it’s a bit much for tetris. But it’s weird because I buy games for more money that haven’t entertained me nearly as much as this demo.

Then I got it streaming so I could play on a handheld while watching tv, which was my main complaint. But still, it’s $36 for tetris. Finally I got tired of trying to internally discuss why this game Im incredibly fond of seems hard to buy at its price and just preordered it. Now I can finally rest.

• Like 1

To be fair, even though I'm telling people I think it's worth $40, I'm still probably not going to get it for a bit. $20 would be a no brainer, probably even if I had VR it would be a no brainer, but being that I have very little time to play on the TV (juggling twin babies and I'm deep in RDR2) I just don't think I would put the kind of time I want into it.

But come on guys don't sit on this!

A Switch version would be amazing though.

• Guillotine 1