Assassin's Creed Shadows (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Mac | 15 November 2024) - update (06/14): "Feudal Japan Sneak Peek" video

8 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Article that accompanies the video:

WWW.IGN.COM

An inside look at Assassin's Creed Shadows, Ubisoft's ambitious open world Japan where your every move is affected by weather, season, and lighting systems.

That needed modernity has been found in a fully dynamic lighting system, in which the radiance from sunlight, torches, and lanterns can illuminate both the land and you. Escape into the shadows, though, and you’re invisible. And if you can’t escape the light, you can snuff it out – lamps (or their carriers) can be eliminated to create pools of darkness. If, like me, you were raised on Splinter Cell, this is all very enticing.

“Parkour has always been something that's pretty iconic and pretty core to the stealth experience because they go hand-in-hand,” adds Jonathan Dumont, Assassin’s Creed Shadows’ creative director. To enhance the parkour, the team has given Naoe a grappling hook. “It's all physics-based, so there's a little bit of improbability sometimes when using it,” he says. “There's a danger to using it, but you could also perform assassinations from it.”

These shinobi skills make Naoe the ideal choice for players who want to get back to an Assassin’s Creed that’s actually about assassins. But the sneaking systems also pull on other aspects of the stealth genre that Creed has typically ignored. For instance, enemies can now be knocked out, unlocking the option for a more pacifist playthrough.

That needed modernity has been found in a fully dynamic lighting system, in which the radiance from sunlight, torches, and lanterns can illuminate both the land and you. Escape into the shadows, though, and you’re invisible. And if you can’t escape the light, you can snuff it out – lamps (or their carriers) can be eliminated to create pools of darkness. If, like me, you were raised on Splinter Cell, this is all very enticing.

“Parkour has always been something that's pretty iconic and pretty core to the stealth experience because they go hand-in-hand,” adds Jonathan Dumont, Assassin’s Creed Shadows’ creative director. To enhance the parkour, the team has given Naoe a grappling hook. “It's all physics-based, so there's a little bit of improbability sometimes when using it,” he says. “There's a danger to using it, but you could also perform assassinations from it.”

These shinobi skills make Naoe the ideal choice for players who want to get back to an Assassin’s Creed that’s actually about assassins. But the sneaking systems also pull on other aspects of the stealth genre that Creed has typically ignored. For instance, enemies can now be knocked out, unlocking the option for a more pacifist playthrough.

Seasonal Gameplay

Much of Shadow’s new design is focused on creating a living, reactive world. You can see that in the dynamic lighting and destruction, but there’s a much greater system at play: seasons. The open world progresses through spring, summer, autumn, and winter, with each new period bringing its own weather conditions and terrain shifts. While this helps lend a sense of realism to the land – dynamic winds will procedurally blow swirls of pollen in the spring and pull leaves from branches in the fall – each season can have a dramatic impact on gameplay.

“We've really been pushing about making sure that gameplay and art are not separate, but they're intertwining,” explains Onnée. He offers an example of how, in summer, you can use the new prone stance to crawl into a pond and hide beneath the surface of the water. But in the winter, that pond will be frozen over. “You create new, and you remove at the same time, different ways and routes of infiltration,” he says.

As spring blooms, grass grows tall enough to hide in. Bushes become leafy, perfect to crouch behind. But as the months go by, the approaching winter kills off these natural hiding spots. Hanging icicles threaten to snap and fall, revealing your rooftop position. But at the same time, the worsening weather limits the view of enemies. Howling winds obscure your footsteps. Guard patrols stick to areas of warmth, allowing you to take new, colder paths. “Players will have to adapt constantly to what the environment is giving them,” says Dumont.

Seasons will change based on your progress through the campaign, which art director Thierry Dansereau tells me is to ensure the world stays “authentic as possible to match historical events.” If it was spring when a certain moment occurred in history, the world will be in the right place. “But when in an open world [side] quest, it might happen that you will play a quest in autumn and I will play the same quest and I'm going to be in summer,” he says. “So that's up to the system and the way you play your game.”

• Hype 2

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Sure is!

That's awesome! He's becoming quite the pop culture figure these days with a Netflix anime out already and a movie coming. I assume he and the Kunoichi will play differently with her focusing on stealth and him being more tanky and combat focused? Hype meter through the roof now. Maybe if I start now I can finish Odyssey and Valhalla by the time it comes out?

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBOCracking Up Lol GIF

• Haha 3

I just texted a buddy of mine who is a non-gamer but is a martial artist and historian who was also the first one to tell me about Yasuke when we were in college and sent him the trailer for this and he's fucking giddy :lol:

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That's what the development team said in the videos.

Do they have any gameplay in the videos? I'm wondering how different this will be than ROTR gameplay wise. As much as I love that game, the stealth in it was terrible. Same with Wo Long... Team Ninja can't do stealth :lol:

39 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Especially when the pre-rendered trailers don't look that much better than games we've seen in real time.

Just show us the game you cowards.

It's especially weird because... it's fucking Assassin's Creed, what are we even doing here. If it was a brand new series they wanted to hype I could kinda get wanting to build hype / mystique for a gameplay reveal.

• Like 1

Being able to snuff out lights to conceal yourself is good. Every stealth game since Splinter Cell that didn't have that ability annoyed me.

Of course, dynamic lighting in open world games is hard and often ugly, even when it's technically impressive. Hopefully they do it well here.

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So this game takes place during the same time period as Shogun? That's awesome because ROTR takes place about 150 years AFTER this time period.

The game takes place during the Sengoku Jidai which is essentially the same historical period as that of Shogun.

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

It's widely-accepted by historians that the Sengoku Jidai ended with the victory of Tokugawa Ieyasu (the Yoshi Toranaga character in Shogun) at the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600.

• Halal 1

22 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's widely-accepted by historians that the Sengoku Jidai ended with the victory of Tokugawa Ieyasu (the Yoshi Toranaga character in Shogun) at the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600.

Which, according to the Vagabond manga, a young Miyamoto Musashi and his rival Saski Kojuro fought in. The manga starts with a 17 year old Musashi surving that battle.

Extremely excited for this!

1. It's by the team that did Odyssey, which was the only AC that I liked of the previous 3 mainline games. 

2. It's also the first AC game that no longer has to support the PS4/Xbone generation. Curious to see what that might allow them to do without those limitations.

Gameplay is expected to be shown at the Ubisoft Forward on June 10th.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

It's especially weird because... it's fucking Assassin's Creed, what are we even doing here. If it was a brand new series they wanted to hype I could kinda get wanting to build hype / mystique for a gameplay reveal.

Every AC game since the beginning of time has had one of these trailers so not that surprising that this one has one as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The interviews suggested you play as both -- and are able to choose which one you want to be between objectives.

Even better.

Fuck it looks like I'm buying it. Comes out right before my birthday so found a present to myself. 

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The interviews suggested you play as both -- and are able to choose which one you want to be between objectives.

So i'm guessing depending on which one you chose that will affect how you play that mission? I can't see a dude in full Samurai armor being all that sthealthy

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So i'm guessing depending on which one you chose that will affect how you play that mission? I can't see a dude in full Samurai armor being all that sthealthy

He is louder. This is directly addressed in the video. 

• Halal 1

40 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Where did they go?

To wherever Avatar came from :P

They just haven’t had any big smash hits since Valhalla really and haven’t had anything super exciting non AC for a bit. They have been pretty consistent for me overall but I’m talking back in prime 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

To wherever Avatar came from :P

They just haven’t had any big smash hits since Valhalla really and haven’t had anything super exciting non AC for a bit. They have been pretty consistent for me overall but I’m talking back in prime 

I thought people thought Avatar was good? Also didn't the last Far Cry do pretty well? I know people are tired of their formula but they've been pretty consistent quality wise for awhile now :shrug:

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I thought people thought Avatar was good? Also didn't the last Far Cry do pretty well? I know people are tired of their formula but they've been pretty consistent quality wise for awhile now :shrug:

Avatar didn’t really score that well, it’s hit and miss with users I feel. I thought it was okay but nothing great. I’m hoping Star Wars is great. I did like Far Cry 6 tho, yeah.

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

Avatar didn’t really score that well, it’s hit and miss with users I feel. I thought it was okay but nothing great. I’m hoping Star Wars is great. I did like Far Cry 6 tho, yeah.

Far Cry 6 is 3 years ago. They are more miss than hit lately for me especially the big budget games. 

S&B - Miss

PoP Lost Crown - Hit

AC Mirage - Miss

Mario Rabbids - Hit

I have high hopes for this and Outlaws. 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

While I love the time period and have been waiting for them to finally do this setting….its still just Assassins Creed. Even without a gameplay trailer I feel like we all know exactly what it’s going to look and play like. Probably be a 60+ hour romp with a season pass. It will have to be something a little special to get me to commit.

• True 1