Jeff Grubb on the Bombcast: the Perfect Dark reboot "sounds like it's in a very rough state"

"The fallout from this (today's layoffs), been hearing more and more.. been hearing for years that Perfect Dark is in a rough state, sounds like it's in a very rough state"

"And it doesn't sound like it's really come together in any way since then (since the announcement) and like Crystal Dynamics coming on board to come help on that.."

Regarding first person shooter aspect:

"It sounds like they don't even know if that's what they want to do with that"

• Confused 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Jeff Grubb on the Bombcast: the Perfect Dark reboot "sounds like it's in a very rough state"

This was almost surely a game the developers were told to make and to check a bunch of boxes marketing thinks are necessary, rather than a game the developers wanted to make.

• True 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

This was almost surely a game the developers were told to make and to check a bunch of boxes marketing thinks are necessary, rather than a game the developers wanted to make.

It's more likely studio heads and directors who think they're Spielberg but also have no ideas. At least "check off these boxes" is direction.

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

It's more likely studio heads and directors who think they're Spielberg but also have no ideas. At least "check off these boxes" is direction.

I can’t imagine it was ever as directionless as Everwild.  Just the concept of a new Perfect Dark game checks more boxes.

The last game story wise was bad, but I still remember enjoying the huge multiplayer battles and the glitches to float with a machine. Plus I really loved their sniper rifle with the analog zoom in leveling. 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I’ll believe the reports are outdated when Perfect Dark releases and doesn’t feel like it really had less than 18 months of development time out of the years it was being developed for before being pushed out the door. 

• Sicko Sherman 1

On 5/8/2024 at 4:56 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is any studio under MS capable of making a coherent, finished game?? How the fuck is every studio struggling so hard? 

I mean, this is such hyperbole. Xbox had some huge misses, but they also put out some great games this generation. FH5, Halo Infinite is the best Halo Campaign. Psychonauts 2 is the best platformer since Mario Odyssey. Starfield is not Fallout, but it’s certainly not a bad game, even if im not generally a BGS guy. Pentiment, Hifi Rush (rip). 

6 hours ago, stepee said:

Looks like Grubb also produced a new sly cooper rumor that has since been debunked, glad I missed that one 

As I explained in the other thread, he basically said it was pie in the sky speculation and it was something he'd like to see. It wasn't a rock solid "Sly cooper is definitely coming" type of statement.

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

As I explained in the other thread, he basically said it was pie in the sky speculation and it was something he'd like to see. It wasn't a rock solid "Sly cooper is definitely coming" type of statement.

naaa he said there was a lot of “smoke” that is insinuating it’s based on something and Jason S was like na. Also it’s a pattern

The actual quote taken from there is “We'll see, again not confirmed nothing like that but that's speculation but there's smoke out there. Maybe where there's smoke there's fire, hopefully we'll find out.”

That is definitely him trying to put a rumor out there to get his name in the news based on nothing but his own ass

I think right or wrong, by virtue of being himself and having a lot of eyes on him he gets a confirmation one way or another. Also, Jason Schreier saying, "no" isn't necessarily a de-confirmation until we actually get to the Showcase. I think of the Dead Space 2 that people tore him apart after yet he basically got a confirmation by EA of what he said, Dead Space 2 is not being worked on. People tried to pick apart what he said but the conclusion was the same. Perfect Dark in rough shape, well someone came out of the woodwork to say something contrary. If he hadn't said anything would this other person have responded? Probably not.

I think it's important he's out there, like him or hate him, because he has eyes on him. I will probably always be grateful to him because back in the day when he did "grubb snax" (the show where he just answered questions from the chat) I asked him about Otogi 1 and 2 becoming backwards compatible. I forgot what he said but by virtue of him mentioning those games they DID become backwards compatible.

Now we just have to get him to utter the words Gunvalkyrie :pray:

23 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, this is such hyperbole. Xbox had some huge misses, but they also put out some great games this generation. FH5, Halo Infinite is the best Halo Campaign. Psychonauts 2 is the best platformer since Mario Odyssey. Starfield is not Fallout, but it’s certainly not a bad game, even if im not generally a BGS guy. Pentiment, Hifi Rush (rip). 

Halo Infinite released as a half a Halo game. The only saving grace is that the gunplay and mechanics in the game feel closer to real Halo than 343 has managed to hit since Bungie left. Ie, it was finally fun to shoot things again. They took twice as long to make half as much Halo. It took them at least a year after putting it on gamepass to get Halo Infinite finished where it even felt like a full release. Im never not going to be hard on them for the state Infinite released in. 

and Starfield was another game that used to be made bigger in half the time with similar levels of quality to their past efforts. BGS is a studio that doesn’t seem to be getting better over the years and they act like they’re still this small plucky developer from 2 decades ago. Though I have a hard time laying Starfield at the feet of Xbox like I would Halo Infinite and Forza, because odds are Starfield would have been just as unambitious and lackluster if Bethesda wasn’t owned by MS. It’s just where Todd Howard and BGS are.