Study shows return-to-office mandates don't improve performance, but do decrease morale

ARSTECHNICA.COM

Data is consistent with bosses using RTO to reassert control and scapegoat workers.

This shouldn't be a surprise at all. There are some good reasons to have in-office work some of the time, in some office-based industries, but being in eye sight of middle management does nothing to affect company performance.

Also not surprising is that companies that enforce stricter in-office requirements tend to have CEOs with greater control over company operations, once again proving that most CEOs don't actually know anything about how companies actually work. 

• Shocked 2
  • Haha 1
  • True 3
  • Sicko 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hugs 1

I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm on a very relaxed hybrid schedule where people are in the office Monday to Wednesday but I only show up 2 of those days at most. I'm literally going to be WFH tomorrow since it's gonna be a nice day and I want to work a little on my yard.

Come September the office space will be downsizing and all full-timers will be WFH permanently. The president tried to get out of the lease early but of course the building owner's weren't having it.

I like going in, but I've been seeing plenty of stories of shit like being being forced to go in just to still solely interact with people via Teams/Zoom all day. Pretty obvious why that would be shit for morale.

Right now I go into the office every other Monday but that changes to three days a week in mid-March. I don't think 100% WFH is a great idea, but I also am dreading three days a week. But a big issue for us is that the reasoning behind RTO was same old story of increasing collaboration, which is bunk because this only applies to FTEs and not contractors and a huge, huge chunk of our workforce is contractors. And part of the reason contractors weren't includes is because we simply do not have the office space to accommodate everyone. Plus, a lot of people that were hired in the past year or two that were intentionally hired to remote positions still get to keep their current WFH setup (which conveniently includes a fair amount of upper management).

9 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Right now I go into the office every other Monday but that changes to three days a week in mid-March. I don't think 100% WFH is a great idea, but I also am dreading three days a week. But a big issue for us is that the reasoning behind RTO was same old story of increasing collaboration, which is bunk because this only applies to FTEs and not contractors and a huge, huge chunk of our workforce is contractors. And part of the reason contractors weren't includes is because we simply do not have the office space to accommodate everyone. Plus, a lot of people that were hired in the past year or two that were intentionally hired to remote positions still get to keep their current WFH setup (which conveniently includes a fair amount of upper management).

A funny thing about collaboration is that yeah for some things in-person interaction is always going to be superior, but for a lot of programming stuff it works better remotely. Instead of having to drag your laptop to a room with a projector or having someone come and look over your shoulder you can just share your screen, and the person helping can try stuff off on their second screen while also watching what you're doing. And you can easily bounce back and forth on who's sharing their screen.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

A funny thing about collaboration is that yeah for some things in-person interaction is always going to be superior, but for a lot of programming stuff it works better remotely. Instead of having to drag your laptop to a room with a projector or having someone come and look over your shoulder you can just share your screen, and the person helping can try stuff off on their second screen while also watching what you're doing. And you can easily bounce back and forth on who's sharing their screen.

I totally agree that screen sharing is better than projecting or connecting to a TV for technical stuff. It's easier to focus on smaller details on a laptop/PC monitor than it is staring at something on the wall across a room. I find in-person meetings better for more of the "brainstorming" kind of discussions. I feel it's easier to bounce ideas off of a group that way.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

We all are in agreement that return to office was always more about the tanking commercial real estate market than actual productivity, right?

I'd agree that it's primarily about stuff like businesses trying to justify expensive office leases that they're stuck in but I think the diehard pro-WFH side misses some reasons people may genuinely like going in. Speaking for myself:

1. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. My WFH options are use my computer desk, which is in my bedroom--fine for gaming and watching TV but terrible for doing work all day; my dining room table, which makes work feel omnipresent in my life; or on my couch, which is terrible ergonomics. If I had a 2 bedroom apartment and I could use the second bedroom as an office I stay out of outside work hours I think I'd be a lot more amenable to it. As it is I have a better office setup than I could fit in my apartment and I appreciate the work/life separation.

2. Staying home all day in 2020 quickly became terrible for my mental health.

3. I can walk to work, it's about 30 minutes each way. And I find walking with a destination a lot more enjoyable than just aimlessly going out for a loop around the neighborhood.

I do like having a lot of flexibility on doing WFH just for stuff like being able to take an early call from home, and being able to travel without having to burn vacation days. Like if I go to visit my parents they're usually busy during the day anyhow so may as well get some work done and save the vacation for another trip.

I should also add, that while my current direct manager is on-board with RTO (my real direct manager is on leave for like 6 weeks because of major surgery), he's also made it very clear that if you need to stay home for a specific reason (weather, kids, etc), just stay home for the day. So there is still some flexibility there.

• Hype 1

I feel like anyone that actually enjoys going into the office just kind of needs a more robust social life and outside-work community. The few odd days I've had in my life where I actually wanted to go to work were because I pretty much had fuck all going on outside of work, so it was more interesting than sitting on my ass. 

• True 2

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I feel like anyone that actually enjoys going into the office just kind of needs a more robust social life and outside-work community. The few odd days I've had in my life where I actually wanted to go to work were because I pretty much had fuck all going on outside of work, so it was more interesting than sitting on my ass. 

The times I was looking forward to going to the office is because I had plans to meet up a friend over lunch.

I’ve never had a job that could be done from home, but the job I just applied to could be. They’ve been 100% remote since 2020, but just now they are forcing people back to the office semi-regularly… which from what I understand is one big reason why there are some openings. :p

I was absolutely miserable during my forced WFH period and was very pleased to return to the office full-time.

I totally need to have a clear and distinct division between my "home" and my "workplace".

In fact, I show up at the office on days when I know that I'm going to be the only person there just to show the degree to which I will avoid working from home.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

48 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I was absolutely miserable during my forced WFH period and was very pleased to return to the office full-time.

I totally need to have a clear and distinct division between my "home" and my "workplace".

In fact, I show up at the office on days when I know that I'm going to be the only person there just to show the degree to which I will avoid working from home.

This is probably where I'd stand if I had the choice to WFH. I absolutely need separate worlds. 

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

44af024ed835e65f505580663cf1d820b472b500

• Haha 2
  • True 1

I like my 3 or 2 days a week in the office. Working from home full time really blurs the line of work and non work space. The 30 minute car ride is also a great way to transition from work to home, or home to work. If I worked further away I could see this being a bit different perhaps. 

• Like 1
  • True 1