Motion sickness playing games.

dualhunter

I made it through The Talos Principle just fine (almost 8 years ago) but playing The Road to Gehenna I experienced motion sickness for the first time. Not bad enough to puke and I don't have a problem with actual motion in a moving vehicle. Since then there have been a few first person games that have given me trouble including replays of games that weren't a problem the first time I played them. The Talos Principle 2 has a section in the settings for motion sickness but no real explanation of how to adjust the settings to make it better. I seem to be fine walking around doing the puzzles, running around open areas seems to be the problem for me. Any tips dealing with this?

If it has an FOV option, raise it. Low FOV is like walking while looking through binoculars. Do that in real life and you'll get sick in seconds. Even if the FOV is close to correct, if it's too low you just get the same problem, but it takes a little longer to show up, or it only shows up while sprinting, as with you.

Barring that, sit a little further from the screen, get one of those little motion sickness bracelets that you squeeze for a minute or so (I don't get motion sickness so I have yet to use one, but they apparently work surprisingly well for a lot of people. There's also a watch one that gives a very small electric current that seems to work as well, but is obviously more expensive.) or just acclimate yourself to it. Lots of options, give one a try!

A handful of games have given me bad motion sickness in recent times.  RE4VR on the oculus with full motion on absolutely ruined me after about twenty minutes.  DOOM being played on a big screen with whatever absurd fps it can pull on a modern pc made me queasy.  RE7 did it too before I messed with some settings.  Bad depth of field and FOV can really mess with you.  

As stupid as this might sound, just google the game giving you problems with motion sickness and someone has probably done the work of figuring out what to toggle in order to make it better.  That’s how I looked up what to switch off on RE7 and it did the trick.

My wife started to get motion sickness gaming as she got older.  So it may just be changes from aging making you more sensitive to ir.

Some ideas:

1)  Sit further back from your monitor/TV (i.e. have less of your FOV filled with the screen)

2)  Make sure your gameplay area is well lit

3)  Point a fan at yourself while gaming

4) Experiment with a fixed crosshair in the middle of your screen

5) Turn down movement sensitivity

Spyro 1 on the PlayStation back in the 90s gave me a creeping headache.  I’ve since had similar feelings in games where the FOV is too low, which can be exacerbated by low and inconsistent frame rate and frame pacing, and camera wobble. 

Starfield actually gave me a headache day one until I modded the FOV out to 100. It wasn’t bad, but it made playing upwards of 2 hours kind of unpleasant. With most games now fixing the FOV feels like the eye/head equivalent of putting a cushion behind my lower back when watching tv and gaming. lol Fuck getting old. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

"3)  Point a fan at yourself while gaming"

:joe:

:shrug:

It's a common tactic for fighting motion sickness.

Scientists don't really understand why some people suffer from motion sickness, so there are a lot of different things people do to combat it.  Effectiveness of each varies a lot between different individuals.

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

:shrug:

It's a common tactic for fighting motion sickness.

Scientists don't really understand why some people suffer from motion sickness, so there are a lot of different things people do to combat it.  Effectiveness of each is varies a lot between different individuals.

I know. It's just odd and kinda sad some folks have to put on a fan to play a game. That would be really distracting. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I know. It's just odd and kinda sad some folks have to put on a fan to play a game. That would be really distracting. 

In VR it's great. I've had plenty of moments where the fan added to the immersion. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Do you have a history of vertigo or anything? 

Nope. Never had an issue in any kind of vehicle. Some of my nieces get car sick. Like I said, I played The Talos Principle and Road to Gehenna back to back years ago and after making it through the main game without issue, the problem started while playing Road to Gehenna. I seem to be fine in the puzzle rooms in the Talos Principle 2, it's running around in the open that's a problem. I'll try increasing the FOV, apparently you can play in 3rd person so maybe I'll try that, at least for exploration if it ends up being a pain for the puzzles.

1 hour ago, dualhunter said:

Nope. Never had an issue in any kind of vehicle. Some of my nieces get car sick. Like I said, I played The Talos Principle and Road to Gehenna back to back years ago and after making it through the main game without issue, the problem started while playing Road to Gehenna. I seem to be fine in the puzzle rooms in the Talos Principle 2, it's running around in the open that's a problem. I'll try increasing the FOV, apparently you can play in 3rd person so maybe I'll try that, at least for exploration if it ends up being a pain for the puzzles.

I get motion sick pretty easy if I am in a vehicle and not in control. Or like boats in the ocean I’ve never not gotten sick. But thankfully I’ve never gotten sick from games. I have hesitated to get VR in part because I don’t know how I’d tolerate some of that software (tho in short chunks that I’ve played with friends I’ve been fine). That sucks tho I hope some of the suggestions help. 

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to motion sickness in games.

My wife for the most part is the exact opposite poor woman. I have though experienced it, especially if I have a headache or just am not feeling to well. When it happens it's almost always in shooters or flying games. Funny thing is I have NEVER evn tried VR! I mean I have never had the experience of putting on a headset and feeling/seeing that experience. I have wanted to. I have almost purchased a quest 2/3. Pondered maybe the PS5 VR headset, etc. I would want it simply for racing games in which I am a HUGE fan of. I'm sure it's amazing with a great wheel that I have {For PC} and...yea Just never tried it. Saying this I'm not sure I'd like it as I'm really claustrophobic! I MEAN TERRIBLY. Not to explain in 1000 words but I had an experience that was life changing in a negative way making me incredibly fear small places and or things over my head. It took me 2 years after my "Experience"  to even get a motorcycle helmet back over my head and wear it! Sucked & Sucks STILL!  So I understand issues with motion sickness. Movies like Paranormal activities, blair which project, etc and a no go for my wife every bit as much as my gaming. I feel sorry for her but it is what it is.....

3 hours ago, HardAct said:

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to motion sickness in games.

My wife for the most part is the exact opposite poor woman. I have though experienced it, especially if I have a headache or just am not feeling to well. When it happens it's almost always in shooters or flying games. Funny thing is I have NEVER evn tried VR! I mean I have never had the experience of putting on a headset and feeling/seeing that experience. I have wanted to. I have almost purchased a quest 2/3. Pondered maybe the PS5 VR headset, etc. I would want it simply for racing games in which I am a HUGE fan of. I'm sure it's amazing with a great wheel that I have {For PC} and...yea Just never tried it. Saying this I'm not sure I'd like it as I'm really claustrophobic! I MEAN TERRIBLY. Not to explain in 1000 words but I had an experience that was life changing in a negative way making me incredibly fear small places and or things over my head. It took me 2 years after my "Experience"  to even get a motorcycle helmet back over my head and wear it! Sucked & Sucks STILL!  So I understand issues with motion sickness. Movies like Paranormal activities, blair which project, etc and a no go for my wife every bit as much as my gaming. I feel sorry for her but it is what it is.....

Buy a refurbished quest 2, a Quest 3 lite is coming later this year too. It's worth it. 

Doom 3 was the first game to give me motion sickness.  I hadn't run into again until last year, from of all games, the turn-based card battler Midnight Sons.  Specifically, running around the sanctuary would give me a headache after a bit.  Part of the reason I never got around to going back to it.

Watching videos of people play Pacific Drive recently made me feel sick, so I may have to skip that game.