Snowpocalypse 2024

Nokra

How's everyone surviving out there? I saw a news article earlier that something like 50-60% of the US was expecting some inclement weather this weekend. Here in Portland, OR it's been hovering around 15 degrees F all day but accounting for the gusty arctic winds (30+ mph), the "feels like" temperature has been closer to -5 all day, which is shockingly cold for here, considering that typically in the winter it's more like in the 40s, maybe upper 30s. We've only got a couple inches of snow but it's just brutally cold and windy, in a city that isn't used to handling it, let alone snow. 

@Fizzzzle do you have power? I saw that about 155,000 people in Portland don't currently have power. So far I've still got power (and therefore heat) but it sure is miserable taking my dog out, even briefly. :p 

How about you all? Everyone hanging in there? 

On Wednesday/Thursday I ended up sleeping overnight in my Jeep as it took 4 hours to travel about 35 miles in an attempt to get home. I ended up pulling into a recreational boat ramp area at a lake to sleep. The night morning it took another 4 hours to get the rest of the way home (about 90 miles). I took the longer route home that night because it has less cell dead zones. On a normal day it takes about 2 1/2 hours to make the trip. 

• Shocked 1

8 hours ago, Nokra said:

How's everyone surviving out there? I saw a news article earlier that something like 50-60% of the US was expecting some inclement weather this weekend. Here in Portland, OR it's been hovering around 15 degrees F all day but accounting for the gusty arctic winds (30+ mph), the "feels like" temperature has been closer to -5 all day, which is shockingly cold for here, considering that typically in the winter it's more like in the 40s, maybe upper 30s. We've only got a couple inches of snow but it's just brutally cold and windy, in a city that isn't used to handling it, let alone snow. 

@Fizzzzle do you have power? I saw that about 155,000 people in Portland don't currently have power. So far I've still got power (and therefore heat) but it sure is miserable taking my dog out, even briefly. :p 

How about you all? Everyone hanging in there? 

I kept my power, so did my dad. Thankfully.

• Like 1

We've gotten a couple inches already. My neighborhood is full of steep hills and I just took my truck out to park past the hills so I can get to work tomorrow night. Made it fine, but shit, that wind and snow on my face in 10 degrees is brutal. Yet neighborhood kids are out sledding like nothing in the world bothers them.

31 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

We've gotten a couple inches already. My neighborhood is full of steep hills and I just took my truck out to park past the hills so I can get to work tomorrow night. Made it fine, but shit, that wind and snow on my face in 10 degrees is brutal. Yet neighborhood kids are out sledding like nothing in the world bothers them.

Yeah when I took my dog out yesterday it was certainly cold (-5° F), but what made it really uncomfortable was the wind driving the snow and ice crystals into my face. Today it's still cold (about 10° F) but there's much less wind so I was actually almost too warm with how I bundled up (SmartWool base layer on top and bottom, t-shirt, fleece, a down jacket warmth layer, and an insulated shell, snow pants, gloves, hat). :lol:

• Haha 1

Today started out as a beautiful day here in PA aside from the high winds…..and we lost power shortly after lunch :(  The outage map shows only my neighborhood without power. Which is kind of a plus because everything around us is fine and open. The estimate time for a fix said Monday by 11pm but now it’s been updated to Tuesday by 11pm. PA got hit hard with wind I guess.

The outage map didn’t seem that bad until I zoomed out

aYU6UIt_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra
9QAvbR8_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

uZNd6mo_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

My dad had an extra generator so he dropped it off. We’re able to cycle the fridges and freezers on and use appliances when needed. Fortunately the sunroom at the back of the house has a gas heater on the wall otherwise I’d be going to a hotel.  It will keep some of the other rooms livable. The rest of the week is supposed to be in the 30’s during the day and teens at night.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

It was like 40 last night, super cold.

In my opinion, anything under 40 I may as well be in Siberia.

Though one thing I have noticed -  when it gets below 30 it gets so cold that I don't want to smoke cigarettes anymore because my fingers get too cold. So maybe if I do want to quit smoking I should move to Pittsburgh for a year.

I miss seeing snow when I go back east. Got some good cold in NYC last month but it's disturbing that I can go to Vermont in November and spend the entire weekend in shorts. I forgot my wool peacoat in November going to NYC and then Vermont and straight up didn't need it anyhow the entire trip. 

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

It just started raining here, hopefully all the snow will be melted by tonight (right now it's all ice). Everywhere is closed, including my work. It sucks. Fuck the cold. Put me in a swamp any day.

Yeah I took my dog out and he pancaked on the ice a couple of times (even though he's a spry 4 year old Aussie). :(

I have Yaktrax that I was wearing so I was fine, but yeah the sidewalks and many side streets are just solid ice, now even slicker with the drizzle.