Snowpocalypse 2024

Nokra

We're in classic Portland mode. It snowed on Tuesday, then it rained and got cold enough for all the rain to freeze. Like the best way to get around on foot is on ice skates. Initially all of the business are like "we take the safety of everyone seriously, don't travel, stay home if you can," but after 3 days it's "fuck it YOLO, please come spend money."

22 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

We're in classic Portland mode. It snowed on Tuesday, then it rained and got cold enough for all the rain to freeze. Like the best way to get around on foot is on ice skates. Initially all of the business are like "we take the safety of everyone seriously, don't travel, stay home if you can," but after 3 days it's "fuck it YOLO, please come spend money."

Can confirm! I went to a nearby sandwich shop yesterday (Snappy's, if you know it, over on Ankeny and SE 6th) and when I told the guy I was glad they were open, he said "Yeah, after a week of being closed we had to be."

The ice is just so thick, there's plenty of it left even after it got up to 40 today. I'm just glad I never lost power in all of this; some people on r/Portland were saying they were without power for nearly a week and even inside their house it got down into the 30s (when it was closer to 0 outside). :s 

28 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Can confirm! I went to a nearby sandwich shop yesterday (Snappy's, if you know it, over on Ankeny and SE 6th) and when I told the guy I was glad they were open, he said "Yeah, after a week of being closed we had to be."

The ice is just so thick, there's plenty of it left even after it got up to 40 today. I'm just glad I never lost power in all of this; some people on r/Portland were saying they were without power for nearly a week and even inside their house it got down into the 30s (when it was closer to 0 outside). :s 

I bartend at George's Corner on Interstate and Killingsworth a couple nights a week. It was funny. We probably didn't need to close on Tuesday because it was just a bit of powder snow, but we did anyway. Friday, when the sidewalks are a fucking death trap, it was like "ehhh, figure it out, capitalism go brrrr"

• Hugs 2

13 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I bartend at George's Corner on Interstate and Killingsworth a couple nights a week. It was funny. We probably didn't need to close on Tuesday because it was just a bit of powder snow, but we did anyway. Friday, when the sidewalks are a fucking death trap, it was like "ehhh, figure it out, capitalism go brrrr"

That sucks, sorry man. Is it at least walking distance to work, or are you having to drive? I vaguely recall you saying you don't drive much, or at all; am I misremembering? Either way, the sidewalks are crap right now, for sure. A few months ago I bought a set of these and they've been a godsend when I have to take my dog out; I can definitely recommend them. 

I feel very lucky that I have the ability to work remotely, especially since I live in Portland but work in Hillsboro. Starting a few months ago they had us starting to come into the office at least two days per week, but at least management has (so far) been reasonable about not enforcing it when the weather is crap; besides the general corporate email about being cautious in inclement weather, our manager sent out an email to the team explicitly stating "do not come to campus."

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

We went from being covered in ice to having one of the warmest days on record in the span of a week. I think it hit 60 yesterday.

Yeah I commented to someone the other day that we were at -15 less than two weeks ago and that day I had taken my dog out in just jeans and a T-shirt. In Portland in January. :silly:

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I usually love snow days but once again we are without power. Website says 105,000+ people effected. Bullshit. Probably only 6” of snow but it’s heavy. Trees and wires are sagging.

Yea I got your amount of snow but this complex I ive in never loses power. Sorry to hear. 

• Like 1