The "Best Games of 2023" Lists Are Spawning

Commissar SFLUFAN

I’m just going to assume they don’t count pc for platform of the year because it wouldn’t be fair. Otherwise like I get it people loved Zelda and Mario Wonder is my #2 GOTY but also Baldurs Gate 3 and Alan Wake 2 have more GOTY awards than those two and like…everything else and yeah the Ally and Oled Deck releases and Pizza Tower was a pc exclusive so

And Zelda TOTK played much better on pc anyway, but I guess this is also why it can’t count 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m just going to assume they don’t count pc for platform of the year because it wouldn’t be fair. Otherwise like I get it people loved Zelda and Mario Wonder is my #2 GOTY but also Baldurs Gate 3 and Alan Wake 2 have more GOTY awards than those two and like…everything else and yeah the Ally and Oled Deck releases and Pizza Tower was a pc exclusive so

And Zelda TOTK played much better on pc anyway, but I guess this is also why it can’t count 

Life isn’t fair. If they want to call it “dedicated console of the year that isn’t a PC, because otherwise it would be SteamDeck OLED” - I can get behind it. 

• True 1

I will say besides everything else Steam oled if they wanted to just pick that actually offered a real hardware invocation being the first handheld ever with hdr, so I would give it to that alone because it fucking rules. Not to mention making a pc handheld with real handheld like battery life playing modern AAA.

• True 1
  • Wrong 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I will say besides everything else Steam oled if they wanted to just pick that actually offered a real hardware invocation being the first handheld ever with hdr, so I would give it to that alone because it fucking rules. Not to mention making a pc handheld with real handheld like battery life playing modern AAA.

No VRR

No Game Pass support

No dual boot

Deck Verified doesn’t mean shit

HDR works kinda

game library still not fully compatible

Linux is trash

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Baldurs Gate 3 and Alan Wake 2 have more GOTY awards than those two and like…everything else and yeah the Ally and Oled Deck releases and Pizza Tower was a pc exclusive 

AW2 is Epic exclusive. Doesn’t count for the Deck. I couldn’t get that bullshit store to work on the Deck.  I will change my opinion on this if you can get Best to get EGS games working on the Deck. 

• Wrong 1

13 minutes ago, Brian said:

No VRR

No Game Pass support

No dual boot

HDR works kinda

Linux is trash

AW2 is Epic exclusive. Doesn’t count for the Deck. I couldn’t get that bullshit store to work on the Deck.  I will change my opinion on this if you can get Best to get EGS games working on the Deck. 

HDR works great! Second quote was referring to pc in general, which I consider a platform before I said even if we can’t do that then I would just nominate deck oled. In fact, I mention the Ally also in that post!

Epic store was pretty easy to get set up for me idk!

VRR, GP/no dual boot is of course a bummer but better than nominating the freakin switch which had no new hardware just because of two games. 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

HDR works great! Second quote was referring to pc in general, which I consider a platform before I said even if we can’t do that then I would just nominate deck oled. In fact, I mention the Ally also in that post!

Epic store was pretty easy to get set up for me idk!

VRR, GP/no dual boot is of course a bummer but better than nominating the freakin switch which had no new hardware just because of two games. 

I read that Deck to see if I can get hyped enough to buy it but all I see is you talking about workarounds to get HDR, games, and other shit to work. 
Watching I See You GIF

5 minutes ago, Brian said:

I read that Deck to see if I can get hyped enough to buy it but all I see is you talking about workarounds to get HDR, games, and other shit to work. 
Watching I See You GIF

Yeah it’s early days for hdr support in linux and I have to get some stuff working but almost everything I can. The hdr when compatible works great though, that is separate from its current compatibility. Plenty of stuff does work out of the box though for hdr. I wouldn’t let the fact that I go out of my way to get everything working and post my homework dissuade you too much, but I don’t think it’s a good platform for you either way. 

25 minutes ago, Brian said:

No VRR

No Game Pass support

No dual boot

HDR works kinda

Linux is trash

You can say all of those about Switch, the platform that “won”. 

Today's entry for PC Gamer's "Game of the Year 2023" awards:

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Set sail for the final time with the stealth tactics masters.

Going out with a bang, Mimimi's final game, Shadow Gambit, was our favourite stealth game of the year. 

I played my Switch more this year than any other since 2017.  All the good new releases also got me to go back and try some of the older Switch games I owned but shelved.

I really need to get back to Pikmin 4.  Was awesome seeing Giant Bomb give it #5, even over Mario Wonder at #7.  That's how good of a year Nintendo has had, that their secondary releases could be argued to hang.

• True 1

46 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

They make an excellent case for Switch. 

I understand that but Wade made it sound like he actually played the Switch this year (to have his opinion in the post I quoted) and he said no. :p

Switch had a hell of a year and it's been one hell of a ride for nearly 7 years. I cannot wait for the next Nintendo console. 

WWW.GAMEWATCHER.COM

As we approach Christmas and the beginning of 2024, it’s time to look back at the best games of 2023 and pick our favorites. Who came out on top for us?

The Best Games of 2023

• Baldur’s Gate 3 (GOTY)
  • Diablo 4
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
  • Alan Wake 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Sea of Stars

WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We celebrate the strong year for game releases with our list of the top 10 games of 2023.

Critic's Choice Award:

10. Street Fighter 6

09. Sea of Stars

08. Jusant

07. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

06. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

05. Alan Wake II

04. Resident Evil 4 (Remake)

03. Marvel's Spider-Man 2

02. Baldur's Gate III

Spoiler

01. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Reader's Choice Award:

10. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

09. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

08. Remnant II

07. Final Fantasy XVI

06. Hogwart's Legacy

05. Resident Evil 4 Remake

04. Alan Wake II

03. Marvel's Spider-Man 2

02. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Spoiler

01. Baldur's Gate III

WWW.THEOUTERHAVEN.NET

As 2023 comes to a close, here are the top ten titles that make up our games of the year. We hope you see some you loved and find a new favorite along the way.

10. Street Fighter 6

09. Marvel's Spider-Man 2

08. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

07. Super Mario RPG Remake

06. Hi-Fi Rush

04. Sea of Stars

03. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

02. Alan Wake II

Spoiler

01. Final Fantasy XVI @Bacon

WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Where did Baldur's Gate III, Resident Evil 4, Alan Wake II, and more fall on our list of 2023's best games?

10. Alan Wake II

09. Resident Evil 4 Remake

08. Lies of P

07. Marvel's Spider-Man 2

06. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

05. The Roottrees are Dead

04. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

03. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

02. Baldur's Gate III

Spoiler

01. The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom

HARDCOREGAMER.COM

It was a hard-fought battle, but without further adieu, here's our top 10 games of 2023.

10. Jusant

09. Dead Space Remake

08. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

07. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

06. Hi-Fi Rush

05. Marvel's Spider-Man 2

04. Resident Evil 4 Remake

03. Final Fantasy XVI

02. Baldur's Gate III

Spoiler

01. Alan Wake II

• Hype 1
  • Wrong 1

GAMERANT.COM

2023 was a packed year for video games, which makes narrowing the list down to just 10 titles a monumental task.

10. Hogwart's Legacy

09. Starfield

08. Street Fighter 6

07. Resident Evil 4 Remake

06. Alan Wake II

05. Marvel's Spider-Man 2

04. Lies of P

03. Sea of Stars

02. Baldur's Gate III

Spoiler

01. The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom

On 12/18/2023 at 8:54 PM, Brian said:

Linux is trash

Linux is fantastic and if this were a sane world, more games would target it instead of relying on Valves nearly magical work with Proton. Windows isn't the target because it's a good OS. It's the target because it's what most people have.

• True 1

Today's "Game of the Year 2023" entry from PC Gamer:

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Capcom's flagship series retains its crown.

Thanks to its extensive new player support and its innovative story mode, Street Fighter 6 was the best fighting game of the year.

WWW.DIGITALSPY.COM

What a year.

10. Dredge

09. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line

08. Remnant II

07. Hi-Fi Rush

06. The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood

04. The Talos Principle II

03. Alan Wake II

02. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Spoiler

01. Baldur's Gate III

GAMING-AGE.COM

In a year full of amazing games, which one did we like the most?

10. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

09. Final Fantasy XVI

08. Mortal Kombat 1

07. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

06. Lies of P

05. Street Fighter 6

04 Resident Evil 4 Remake

03. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

02. Alan Wake II

Spoiler

01. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

• Hype 2