The "Best Games of 2023" Lists Are Spawning

Commissar SFLUFAN

For today's "Game of the Year 2023" entry from PC Gamer, we have the "Best Action 2023" award:

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

FromSoft takes a break from dark fantasy, and instead delivers the best mech game of the year.

FromSoftware's glorious return to mech combat became our pick for the best action on PC this year.

• Hype 1

Personal Picks from the PC Gamer staff:

Robin Valentine, Senior Editor:

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

With a reality-warping camera and a barrage of ingenious strangeness, Viewfinder surprised me like nothing else this year.

You spend long enough in a job like this, playing dozens of games every year, and you start to think there's nothing left that can surprise you. First-person puzzle game Viewfinder didn't just surprise me, it showed me things I've genuinely never seen before—and it's a lovely reminder of how much room there still is to innovate in videogame worlds.

Tyler Colp, Associate Editor

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

MiHoYo's turn-based RPG continues to be more relevant than anything else I've played this year.

My Steam folder is stuffed with screenshots of Honkai: Star Rail. Every time I log in there's a new text message from one of the characters that I immediately have to share with everyone I know. Usually they message me to say hi and update me on what they've been doing since I last ran into them. One of the characters called me "Fam" and then asked me for career advice. Another one entered a group chat to greet everyone in full, grammatically correct sentences, and then signed off with a GIF of sparkling roses like a mom on Facebook.

Fraser Brown, Online Editor

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

I just want to conquer worlds with my cobbled-together fantasy creations.

After nearly three decades and a genuinely unhealthy number of hours spent raising armies and devouring maps, I confess that my passion for 4X games has started to dwindle. As grand strategy games like Crusader Kings have grown ever more complex and flavourful, Civilization and its children just don't pack the punch that they once used to. But Age of Wonders 4 has reignited something.

Tyler Wilde, Executive Editor

Undisputed is the quintessential enthusiast videogame, where an industry outsider who just really likes something—pro boxing, in this case—takes it on themselves to make a game about that thing with all the elements they think it should include, regardless of what conventional game development wisdom may say.

Tim Clark, Associate Editor

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Blizzard deserves real credit for fleshing out the endgame, but the battle will be never-ending.

I'm no stranger to the highs and lows of live service gaming. As a nine-year Destiny veteran, I've seen how pretty much every conceivable crisis plays out. Servers going down for days at a time. Disastrous balance changes that leave the community in chaos. Tone deaf developer statements that get walked back days later. What has been weird though, is watching Diablo 4 speed run so many of the classic problems in its first couple of months.

Lauren Morton, Associate Editor

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

I may not have learned a real language, but this was still the best learning-adjacent game I've played in years.

Nothing about Chants of Sennaar says "nostalgia" at first glance. It's a puzzle adventure game with an on-trend art style of high contrast, bright colors, and beautiful lighting and water effects. But it's taken me back to the '90s more effectively than any self-styled "retro" game in years. 

Ted Litchfield, Associate Editor

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Smack that unholy Stalker on the head with a mallet and show it what fer.

So many games get the "horror" label, but I'm not often that scared by them. Take this year's Alan Wake 2, for example. It's a great thriller with some genuinely spooky moments, but otherwise the biggest frights were FMV jump scares that felt like those old troll YouTube videos where an exorcist face would pop outta nowhere. Cynthia Weaver, you are on notice: if you pull that on me one more time I will point a flare gun at you and pull the trigger.

All of which is to say that Amnesia: The Bunker genuinely scared the crap out of me from start to finish. Its constant, crushing atmosphere and surprising monster AI practically had me too spooked to keep playing, but I'm so glad I did.

Phil Savage, Editor-in-Chief

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Secrets of the Obscure isn't finished yet, but what it's added so far has kept me coming back.

In 2022, Guild Wars 2 celebrated its 10th anniversary with an expansion that closed the book on its first major story arc. With the decade of dragons over, the rest of the year was spent tidying things up. The first season of its living world story was reintroduced, a swathe of quality-of-life updates were made to older systems and activities, and the game finally launched on Steam. In the wake of all that, we named it our best ongoing game of the year.

The big question at the end of 2022 was, naturally, what's next? And in 2023, ArenaNet gave us a surprising answer. The fourth expansion, Secrets of the Obscure, released in August, alongside a new expansion structure that the studio claimed would allow for more frequent releases—more expansions from a team that, historically, has struggled to make them.

Morgan Park, Staff Writer

I spent half of 2023 being cranky about Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora. I caught a theater demo at Ubisoft Forward in June and came away confused and disappointed that Ubi wasn't making the Avatar Assassin's Creed I'd been building up in my head. It seemed so obvious—you could climb up trees, ride an alien horse, stealth kill an RDA mech, all while appreciating the lanky proportions of a Na'vi from behind the back!

I'm really glad Ubisoft Massive had a different idea. Frontiers of Pandora is Avatar Far Cry, but it's also the best Far Cry game to date, and easily the best sandbox Ubi has put together in years. It feels great to have been this wrong.

Sean Martin, Guides Writer

This variety of gameplay elements is what makes Dead Space so distinct as a horror game, even now, 15 years after the original release *crumbles to dust*. And it's one of the reasons that this year's Dead Space Remake is truly exceptional. Motive never oversteps the bounds in terms of making significant changes to the game, as so often occurs with even the best remakes. Instead, it focuses on re-establishing the Ishimura's memorable atmosphere while building on the game's fundamentals, primarily; killing necromorphs and solving puzzles.

The Sixth Axis's "Game of the Year 2023" awards are now being released.

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

Reanimated.

Honorable Mentions:

• Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster
  • Risk of Rain Returns
  • Super Mario RPG

Runners-Up:

• Dead Space 
  • Advance Wars: 1+2 Re-boot Camp

Winner:

Spoiler

Resident Evil 4

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

Boatloads of games.

Honorable Mentions:

• Venba
  • Cocoon
  • The Invincible

Runners-Up:

• Seat of Stars
  • A Highland Song

Winner:

Spoiler

Dredge

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

Lights, camera, action.

Honorable Mentions:

• Final Fantasy XVI
  • A Highland Song
  • Sea of Stars

Runners-Up:

• Hi-Fi Rush
  • Hellboy: Web of Wyrd

Winner:

Spoiler

Alan Wake II

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

OST! OST!

Honorable Mentions:

• Final Fantasy XVI
  • Oxenfree II
  • The Talos Principle II

Runners-Up:

• Alan Wake II
  • Venba

Winner:

Spoiler

Baldur's Gate III

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

Music is an increasingly important part of modern video games, able to elevate an experience to new heights, adding real emotion to scenes and engaging

Honorable Mentions:

• C-Smash VRS
  • Lunacid
  • Octopath Traveller II

Runners-Up:

• Hi-Fi Rush
  • Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Winner:

Spoiler

Alan Wake II

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

I think almost every gamer would agree that how a game feels to play is absolutely the most important factor in whether it's fun or not. Given how many

Honorable Mentions:

• Lies of P
  • Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew
  • The Talos PrincipIe II

Runners-Up:

• Street Fighter 6
  • Dave the Diver

Winner:

Spoiler

Hi-Fi Rush

WWW.GAMESPEW.COM

It's the end of the year, and so GameSpew has rounded up the 15 best games of 2023: these are all must-play titles.

10. Dredge

09. Disney Dreamlight Valley

08. Dead Space Remake

07. Dead Island 2

06. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

05. Resident Evil 4 Remake

04. Baldur's Gate III

03. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

02. Alan Wake II

Spoiler

01. Diablo IV

KOTAKU.COM

In a year jam-packed with big releases like Tears of the Kingdom, Baldur's Gate 3, and Spider-Man 2, which games came out on top?

10. Dave the Diver

09. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

08. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

07. Diablo IV

06. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

05. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

04. Street Fighter 6

03. Baldur's Gate III

02. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Spoiler

01. Alan Wake II

• Hype 1

I gotta say, after the dust settled and I put a bunch of time into it... I don't think I find Super Mario Wonder to be all that good? I think it's a good game, but people were literally saying it's the best in the series or harkens back to the quality of Super Mario World. And I dunno, I didn't get that vibe from it at all.

• Shocked 1

Today's VG247 staff picks come from James Billcliffe, Guides Editor and Alex Donaldson, Assistant Editor

WWW.VG247.COM

It's slightly janky, and kinda goofy, but it's one of the greatest sci-fi action movies of all time, and this game give…

WWW.VG247.COM

Street Fighter 6 does it all. It has it all. It's the best iteration of Street Fighter, ever, and therefore the best fi…

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

Multiplayer gaming feels pretty much inescapable these days. Sure, we've left the days of "tacked on" multiplayer modes behind us, but now we have so many

Honorable Mentions:

• Exoprimal
  • Remnant II
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Runners-Up:

• Baldur's Gate III
  • Lethal Company

Winner:

Spoiler

Street Fighter 6

After cleaning up the Nintendo Switch 2023 Game of the Year contest (with one of the biggest sweeps of the year), Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is back for the Overall 2023 Game of the Year award here at Destructoid. Act surprised!

Today's "Game of the Year 2023" category from PC Gamer is "Best Open World 2023":

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Thanks to its fresh spin on the genre, this tropical adventure was our favourite open world game of the year.

Thanks to its delightful sandbox traversal, Tchia became our favourite open world game of the year.

Today's "Personal Picks" from the PC Gamer staff:

Robert Jones, Print Editor

I deliver chainsaw death to the demon horde, all the while dodging incessant gun fire, balls of fire and flying, shrieking, flaming skulls. Oh, and did I mention I'm doing this in hell, with lava and poison-filled pits left, right and centre? This is John Romero's Sigil 2, the hard-as-nails unofficial sixth episode for Doom, and it's simply awesome. It's also my personal pick for recognition in the PC Gamer Awards 2023.

Sigil 2 builds on the Sigil by taking everything up to an even more metal, insane level. If you thought you needed to rip and tear to the maximum in Sigil then think again, as this episode really is the most devious, hellishly hard, and brutally satisfying episode of Doom ever made. And its soundtrack by Thorr is just incredible.

Andy Chalk

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The alt-history Soviet super-shooter Atomic Heart was better than I expected, even though it wasn't what I expected.

I had doubts about Atomic Heart when it was first revealed in 2018. I love me a good, janky Eastern European shooter—somebody really should remaster Cryostasis—but it looked a little too good, especially for a debut game from an unknown studio. I needn't have worried though, because boy, it delivers: It's a frantic, funny game, far more polished than I expected, and absolutely bonkers—but not in quite the way I expected.

Atomic Heart is sometimes described as a "Russian BioShock," and that's accurate to an extent. But one big difference, and one of my favorite things about the game, is that the hero, Major Nechaev—codename P-3—is such a regular guy. Sure, he's a super-agent, but he's not the brightest bulb on the tree and he's really not interested in any of this nonsense. He just wants to have a nice day and do a good job for his boss, and his emotional range veers from mildly irritated to righteously pissed off as he sinks ever-deeper into a world doing its very best to keep him from doing those things. (And, more to the point, to kill him.) He even gets a bit meta when encountering ridiculous videogame bullshit like a locked door that requires items from three separate parts of an underground facility to open. What kind of asshole would design a lock like that, he wants to know, and hey, that's a fair question.

And when he's asked to deliver a brain, still inside a decapitated skull, to a research institute for reasons he suspects may not be entirely on the up-and-up? He is not comfortable with that. No sir, he does not like it at all.

The Christmas Eve "Game of the Year 2023" category from PC Gamer is "Best Setting 2023":

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

This quaint little fishing game has bite.

Black Salt's fishing adventure gets our Best Setting award this year—a sign that there's surprising depth to be found here.

The Christmas Eve "Personal Picks" from the PC Gamer staff:

Harvey Randall, Staff Writer

2023 has been an absolutely absurd year for games. Not only have we had some incredible hits like Baldur's Gate 3, but we've also seen some older titles become their best selves, with both Cyberpunk 2077 and Warhammer 40K: Darktide both getting really, really good.

Yet Hi-Fi Rush—a game that power-slid onto Game Pass and swept me off my feet—somehow feels like a distant memory. Maybe it's just because I've had some massive life changes since it came out like oh, I don't know, getting a job at a little website called PC Gamer. But I really don't think Hi-Fi Rush should pass us by without a mention, because in my personal opinion? It freaking rules.

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

As big as online gaming has become, 2023 has shown that single player games are absolutely thriving. Whether it's a sequel that takes what its forebears

Honorable Mentions:

• Final Fantasy XVI
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Resident Evil Remake

Runners-Up:

• Alan Wake II
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Winner:

Spoiler

Baldur's Gate III

The Christmas Day "Game of the Year 2023" category from PC Gamer is "Best Design 2023":

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

An absurd chocolate box of systems—it shouldn't work, but in Dave the Diver it does.

You'd be forgiven for thinking it's just adding new systems with reckless abandon, but somehow Dave the Diver all comes together to be the best designed game of 2023.

The Christmas Day "Personal Picks" from the PC Gamer staff:

Sarah James, Guides Writer

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

I found it far more enjoyable once I got rid of the biggest threat.

As an enjoyer of survival games, I feel like one of the few people who didn't play The Forest. Perhaps that's a good thing as I didn't have any expectations going into its sequel: I figured that there would be a few cannibal-related scares to accompany what I assumed would soon be a renewed annoyance for certain aspects of survival games. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised—or at least, I was once I discovered Peaceful mode.

I know, I know: it's a survival game: the whole point is trying to survive in a hostile world. You're expected to fashion a crude weapon out of sticks and stones and whatever else you find lying around. Then you need to find shelter and warmth, food, and water, all while under the very real threat of being attacked by the local wildlife and, worse, the island's more monstrous inhabitants. But it can all feel a bit much. Switch over to Peaceful mode and the whole atmosphere changes—and I think it's for the better.

Jacob Ridley, Senior Hardware Editor

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

It's the loud reactions that make this game so entertaining; it's a thrill to play it with friends or watch endless clips on TikTok.

Work for the Company, die for the Company. Rinse, repeat. Lethal Company is a game all about collecting scrap metal and trying not to die on the job. Sound fun? Sure it does, you just have to watch the gajillion clips on TikTok and other social media platforms to know that it's the best set-up for co-op shenanigans this year.

Lethal Company is one of those surprise hit games that's taken streaming and social media by storm. There's been practically no escaping the slew of clips across my feeds over past weeks, which reminds me of similar moments in gaming when Among Us or Phasmophobia took over Twitch. You'll find key similarities between those games and Lethal Company, not the least bit how often they all invoke their players to scream and shout—the key ingredient to some sort of viral success?

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

From Dave the Diver to Void Stranger, check-out our list of our 50 favourite games of 2023.

10. Alan Wake II

09. Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew

08. A Space for the Unbound

07.The Banished Vault

06. Pikmin 4

05. Mediterraneo Inferno

04. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

03. Rytmos

02. Baldur's Gate III

Spoiler

01. Cocoon

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Cocoon is Eurogamer's game of 2023!

The Boxing Day "Game of the Year 2023" category from PC Gamer is "Best Shooter 2023":

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Gunfire Games' subversive sequel was our favourite shooter of the year.

A confident sequel that not only improves on every aspect of its predecessor, but takes huge strides forward in both looting and shooting, Remnant 2 was a huge surprise. 

The "Personal Pick" for Boxing Day comes from Christopher Livingston, Staff Writer:

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Take some colony building, throw in some tower defense, and add in a bunch of people who just don't get along.

You know when you're playing The Sims and you're directing your little person to make improvements to their house or cook a meal or try on some new clothes? Then a neighbor abruptly appears at the front door and suddenly your Sim has a tantrum because they're a little hungry or sleepy? It's cute stuff.

Survival colony sim Stranded: Alien Dawn is a lot like that, only your house is a little sheet metal shack on a hostile alien planet and if you don't get the roof fixed in time your survivors will get drenched in a rainstorm. Their new clothes are made from alien tree bark, and they desperately need more of them because everyone is slowly freezing to death since your generator ran out of juice. The neighbor at the door isn't someone dropping by to say hi, it's a massive swarm of giant alien bugs driven berserk by the noise coming from the radio dish you've set up to contact passing starships in hope of getting rescued.

Oh, and that tantrum your survivor is having? It could be because they're hungry or sleepy, just like in The Sims, but in Stranded: Alien Dawn they're not just gonna wave their arms and stamp their feet. 

Instead they'll go utterly ballistic on the nearest wall or door or important piece of equipment, punching and kicking it until it's destroyed. They may sit there sobbing for hours, neglecting their duties (like fabricating those clothes you so desperately need). Or they may just wander off in a daze, out the front door, onto the alien planet, and who knows what will happen next? They may get struck by lightning and collapse in a heap, sustaining permanent brain damage as a result. These things happen.

Today's "Game of the Year 2023" category from PC Gamer is "Best Adventure 2023":

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Respawn improves on Fallen Order in almost every way.

We're celebrating the adventurous antics of Respawn's Star Wars Jedi sequel. 

The "Personal Picks" for today come from Wes Fenlon (Senior Editor) and Mollie Taylor (Features Producer)

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The most surprising game you play this year may well be this incredibly elaborate free mod.

I was just young and naive enough when The Blair Witch Project came out to be suckered in by the premise that it was real—that someone had found this real life footage after the fact, or that it was just a movie but one based on real events. Even now when you Google it, the first "People also ask" result is: Was Blair Witch based off a true story? After 20 years of horror movies aping that gimmick, the Google doc that accompanies Doom mod Myhouse doesn't really have a chance of tricking anyone into thinking it's a true story about a modder trying to finish their dead friend's project and slowly descending into madness. But it doesn't have to.

Myhouse is freaky enough all on its own that it kept me on edge for hours, shifting under my feet so seamlessly that I still ended up questioning what was real by the time I "finished" it—at which point I'd actually only seen a fraction of what this endlessly messed up mod was waiting to spring on me.

Pinch me, I must be dreaming: rhythm games are kinda in right now. 

Fortnite Festival has been blowing up, and I've been secretly very giddy seeing so many people on my timeline posting their combo and score achievements with pride. I'm a long-time lover of rhythm games, but also a rather judgemental one (sorry Fortnite Festival, I didn't love you). 

So when a little game called Rhythm Sprout: Sick Beats and Bad Sweets landed in my inbox at the beginning of this year I was curious if not apprehensive. A tracksuit-donning onion who slashes up candies to all manner of original music. Sounded cute, I suppose. I went in not expecting a fat lot, if I'm being completely honest, but came out the other end adoring every second of what I'd played.

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

The PC Master Race has been a meme for a good 15 years now, but it's truer than ever in 2023. A top tier gaming PC might be horrendously expensive when

Honorable Mentions:

• Last Train Home
  • Thronefall
  • Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun 

Runners-Up:

• Lethal Company
  • Baldur's Gate III

Winner:

Spoiler

Dave the Diver

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

Seven years on from the first VR gaming headsets launching, it still feels like we're finding our way with virtual reality. 2024 could change all of that,

Honorable Mentions:

• Assassin’s Creed Nexus VR
  • Gazzlers
  • Synapse

Runners-Up:

• Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • C-Smash VRS

Winner:

Spoiler

PowerWash Simulator VR

WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

With the RPS Advent Calendar now complete, we count down our top 24 favourite games from 2023 all over again, in a sing…

10. Trepang2

09. Jusant

08. Resident Evil 4 Remake

07. Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew

06. Amnesia: The Bunker

05. Dead Space Remake

04. Alan Wake II

03. Lies of P

02. World of Horror

Spoiler

01. Baldur's Gate III

Today's "Game of the Year 2023" category from PC Gamer is "Best Story 2023":

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Remedy's sequel kept us guessing.

The all singing, all dancing Alan Wake 2 told our favourite story of the year—progressing Remedy's shared universe in myriad weird and wonderful ways. 

The "Personal Picks" for today come from Jody Macgregor (Weekend/AU Editor) and Rich Stanton.

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

If you thought Lae'zel and Gale's randiness being nerfed was a crime, have I got a game for you.

Everybody knows you have to go back to your hometown to find yourself—as well as to deal with all your estranged relationships and family issues. Which is why I absolutely refuse to do so in real life, and instead play videogames about it like Night in the Woods, Life is Strange, and Thirsty Suitors.

In Thirsty Suitors, Jala returns home to crash with her parents following a bad break-up. The problem with going there to escape her relationship problems is that the town she grew up in is a great big box she spent her youth filling with exes, who all have unresolved feelings they want to confront her about. These play out as stylized JRPG-esque battles, of course. Thirsty Suitors is basically South Asian Scott Pilgrim.

If you were asked to name the most-successful game on Steam at the start of 2023, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive's 30 million monthly players would have made that a good pick. Now we're at the end of the year and, if you want to play Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, you can only do so through obscure means. It's not just gone. It's been replaced.

This year Valve launched a game, and a sequel, in a manner that I think is unprecedented both in its concept and smoothness of execution. Rumours had swirled for years that Counter-Strike: Global Offensive was receiving an upgrade to Source 2, Valve's current in-house engine, but in early March the speculation, driven by dataminers and driver leaks, reached a feverish crescendo. The talk was not of an upgrade, but a new entry: Counter-Strike 2.

Personal "Top 5 Picks" from the Eurogamer staff

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

A look at some of our top five games of the year for 2023.

Matt Wales, News Reporter:

• Mediterranean Inferno
  • Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew
  • Chants of Sennaar
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Cocoon

Liv Ngan, Contributor:

• Smushi Come Home
  • Terra Nil
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Die in the Dungeon: Origins
  • Baldur's Gate III

Vikki Blake, Contributor:

• Sons of the Forest
  • Dredge
  • Dead Space Remake
  • Amnesia: The Bunker
  • Alan Wake II

Vivek Gohil, Contributor

• Baldur's Gate III
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

• Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

• Saltsea Chronicle

Robert Purchese, Associate Editor

• Baldur's Gate III
  • Dungeons & Dragons (the actual TTRPG)
  • Diablo IV
  • Wildfrost
  • Terra Nil

More from the Eurogamer staff

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

A look at some of our top five games of the year for 2023.

Lottie Lynn, Guides Editor:

• Birth
  • A Space for the Unbound
  • Little Goody Two Shoes
  • Coffee Talk 2
  • Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life

Ed Nightingale, Deputy News Editor:

• Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Sea of Stars
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Cocoon
  • Hi-Fi Rush

Caelyn Ellis, Contributor:

• Remnant II
  • Moonring
  • Baldur's Gate III

Christian Donlan, Features Editor

• Rytmos
  • Cocoon
  • Mediterranean Inferno

• Birth

• Akka Arrh

Tom Senior, ManagingEditor

• Pikmin 4
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Even more from the Eurogamer staff

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

More of our personal top five games of the year

Jessica Orr, Senior Guides Writer

• Baldur's Gate III
  • Cocoon
  • Honkai: Star Rail
  • Stray Gods: The Roleplaying Musical

Geoffrey Bunting, Contributor

• Thirsty Suitors
  • Dredge
  • Tchia
  • A Highland Song

Victoria Kennedy, News Reporter

• Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • Alan Wake II
  • Cocoon
  • Venba

Kaan Serin, Contributor

• Hi-Fi Rush
  • A Space for the Unbound
  • Sandtrix (originally released as Setris)
  • Thirsty Suitors
  • Jusant

WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

2023 was an incredible year for Nintendo Switch fans, with Nintendo having easily the strongest line up of first party games and exclusives from the big

Honorable Mentions:

• Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
  • Super Mario RPG

Runners-Up:

• Fire Emblem Engage

Winner:

Spoiler

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

On 12/27/2023 at 1:44 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

11. Hi-Fi Rush

10. Gravity Circuit

09. MyHouse.WAD

08. Alan Wake II

07. RoboCop: Rogue City

06. Resident Evil 4 Remake

05. Ys X: Nordics

04. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk

03. System Shock Remake

02. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Reveal hidden contents

Watched this one today, love John. Ys X looks amazing, that was my first time seeing it in action. I’ll need to make sure I get to Ys9 next year now that I picked it up on pc to get ready for the stateside release (I know these don’t need to be in order, but also besides how it looked on Switch I was loving 9 and really want to go back)

Myhouse.wad seems really interesting, and honestly terrifying. I need to go back to Bomb Rush, haven’t even fired it up on the oled deck yet, bet it looks outstanding. I’ll check out Gravity Circuit on sale but I’m just afraid it’ll be too hard for me.

Even if certain things like AC6 aren’t for me*(difficulty) I appreciate his reasons for all his picks, enthusiasm, and focus on fun mechanics.

*But damn does he make me want to try