The "Best Games of 2023" Lists Are Spawning

Commissar SFLUFAN

On 12/7/2023 at 6:28 PM, Brick said:

Is Lies of P really all that good? I mean reviews for it seemed to be pretty good, but not overwhelmingly so.

To me it’s the best feeling non fromsoft souls game ever made. It’s basically the closest to Bloodborne 2 that exists. 

Deadspace remake is probably my favorite game of the year, but it’s a remake so Lies of takes it for me, but there is a lot of stuff I haven’t played yet from this year.

Giant Bomb:

WWW.GIANTBOMB.COM

The sixteenth annual Game of the Year awards from Giant Bomb and the first to ever be recorded live in front of an audience.

09. Street Fighter 6 / Chants of Sennaar (tie)

08. Marvel's Spider-Man 2

07. Super Mario Bros. Wonder 

06. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

05. Pikmin 4

03. Baldur's Gate III / Resident Evil 4 Remake (tie)

02. Alan Wake II

Spoiler

01. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I’m gonna need to play Allan Wake 2 based on the hype. How important is it to play the first game?  Is the remaster a huge upgrade?

Extremely important unless you watch a catch up video on youtube explaining it all. You can run through it in 8-10 hours though. Also if you haven’t played Control, you should at least watch a summary of that and the AWE expansion as well. Also there are some bits from Alan Wake American Nightmare you should at least read a summary on that for too.

The remaster is a decent upgrade but it was a late pc port so it doesn’t benefit as much on pc as the original was still okay looking. But the models and textures are quite improved. It looks like an early ps4era game with the Remaster.

The game pretty much assumes you are all caught up and then just takes off.

If you want to go the video route to catch up and then just dive in to AW2 then let me know and i’ll dig up the one I watched to recall my memory that was really well done.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Extremely important unless you watch a catch up video on youtube explaining it all. You can run through it in 8-10 hours though. Also if you haven’t played Control, you should at least watch a summary of that and the AWE expansion as well. Also there are some bits from Alan Wake American Nightmare you should at least read a summary on that for too.

The remaster is a decent upgrade but it was a late pc port so it doesn’t benefit as much on pc as the original was still okay looking. But the models and textures are quite improved. It looks like an early ps4era game with the Remaster.

The game pretty much assumes you are all caught up and then just takes off.

If you want to go the video route to catch up and then just dive in to AW2 then let me know and i’ll dig up the one I watched to recall my memory that was really well done.

I played Control earlier this year (but not the expansion, though I own it). 
Guess I have another assignment for Xmas. 

• Hype 1

3 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

What order should you play them because doesn't AW and Control connect?

Yes Control connects back to AW a little itself, mostly with the AWE expansion, then AW2 connects back to Control heavily.

I would do release order still. AW > AW dlc > American Nightmare > Control > AWE > AW2 - Control doesn’t really connect to QB and QB doesn’t connect back to AW itself so if you want to do that as well it could fit anywhere before AW2.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yes Control connects back to AW a little itself, mostly with the AWE expansion, then AW2 connects back to Control heavily.

I would do release order still. AW > AW dlc > American Nightmare > Control > AWE > AW2 - Control doesn’t really connect to QB and QB doesn’t connect back to AW itself so if you want to do that as well it could fit anywhere before AW2.

Looks like I don't have Controls DLC which I think everything is in the season pass for $15. At least I have AW Remastered which I think has all the content? Stupid question but what is American Nightmare because I can't find it.

16 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Looks like I don't have Controls DLC which I think everything is in the season pass for $15. At least I have AW Remastered which I think has all the content? Stupid question but what is American Nightmare because I can't find it.

Yeah AW Remastered has the two episodes, you can select them from the menu, but of course do them after you beat AW. American Nightmare is a stand alone expansion that takes place after the dlc:

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

A thrilling new storyline, hordes of creepy enemies, serious firepower and beautiful Arizona locations, combined with a fun and challenging new game mode!

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah AW Remastered has the two episodes, you can select them from the menu, but of course do them after you beat AW. American Nightmare is a stand alone expansion that takes place after the dlc:

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

A thrilling new storyline, hordes of creepy enemies, serious firepower and beautiful Arizona locations, combined with a fun and challenging new game mode!

I did some searching and I believe it's only on Xbox and PC. It's the only thing that wasn't remastered and released on PSN.

2 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I did some searching and I believe it's only on Xbox and PC. It's the only thing that wasn't remastered and released on PSN.

Oh that is right, it was MS published and they never went back and they unfortunately didn’t include it in the remake. It’s fun but it’s not super important, you could just watch a youtube for that.

• Like 1

The most recent from The Gamer's editors and writers:

Joe Parlock, Tabletop Editor

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

TheGamer's Official Card Boy and Tabletop Editor Joe Parlock shares his best games of the year.

10. Baldur's Gate III

09. Master Detective Archives: Rain Code

08. Pizza Tower

07. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

06. System Shock Remake

05. Humanity

04. Lies of P

03. Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries Of Honjo

02. Hi-Fi Rush

01. GOTY Editor's Pick: Dead Space Remake

Joshua Robertson, News Editor

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Baldur's Gate 3? Never heard of it.

Sea of Stars

A Space for the Unbound

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Lies of P

Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line

Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo

Octopath Traveler 2

Street Fighter 6

Hi-Fi Rush

GOTY Editor's Pick: Alan Wake  II

Jade King, Features Editor

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

This list has everything from sad gay dinosaurs to skydiving fantasy twinks, and they're all bangers.

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Jusant

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Final Bar Line

A Space For The Unbound

Goodbye Volcano High

Hi-Fi Rush

Final Fantasy XVI

Alan Wake II

Baldur's Gate III

GOTY Editor's Pick: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

BUTWHYTHO.NET

The Top Video Games for 2023 was a stiff competition, from Street Fighter 6 to Alan Wake II and Age of Wonders 4, see who made the list.

10. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

09. Cocoon

08. Marvel's Spider-Man 2

07. Street Fighter 6

06. Starfield

05. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

04. Sea of Stars

03. Alan Wake II

02. Baldur's Gate III

Spoiler

01. The People Who Make The Games Industry

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

GOTY 2023 | GamesRadar+ has cast its votes, had its arguments, and picked the very best games of the year

10. Dredge

09. Diablo IV
08. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

07. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

06. Resident Evil 4 Remake

05. Cocoon

04. Marvel's Spider-Man 2

03. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

02. Alan Wake II

Spoiler

01. Baldur's Gate III