The "Best Games of 2023" Lists Are Spawning

Commissar SFLUFAN

I don't get the "well it's a remake, so it shouldn't be nominated/win GOTY" thinking in regards to the RE4 remake. Yeah it's a remake, so what? If it was just an HD remaster like Metroid Prime Remastered, or hell even something built from the ground up as a remake, but really just the same exact game but prettier like The Last of Us Part I basically is, then yeah I could understand, but the RE4 remake substantially changes things. It's not a 1:1 remake, turned out phenomenally, so yeah a great game is a great game so why shouldn't it get some recognition? Contrast it to the Dead Space remake, which does adjust some minor bits (like the asteroid section), and it's obvious to me why RE4RE gets the nod. I get it's using the blueprints of the original which was already a masterpiece, so is "cheating", or getting an advantage in that regard, but even still, to deny its excellence, and say, sorry developers, you don't get any awards because it's just a remake. Like if they remade the original RE1 in the modern over-the-shoulder view, which would drastically change how that game plays, updated the story, changed some environmental stuff around, etc., and it turned out great as well, would you also say it doesn't deserve GOTY nominations even if it was one of the best gaming experiences of whatever year it would come out? Did you all say the same thing when RE2RE came out? 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

Andrew King, Featured Editor

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

2023's best games have little in common, aside from being exceptional.

10. Pikmin 4

09. Hi-Fi Rush

08. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

07. Venba

06. Cocoon

05. Resident Evil 4 Remake

04. Amnesia: The Bunker

03. Alan Wake II

02. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

01. GOTY Editor's Pick: Baldur's Gate III

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I don't get the "well it's a remake, so it shouldn't be nominated/win GOTY" thinking in regards to the RE4 remake. Yeah it's a remake, so what? If it was just an HD remaster like Metroid Prime Remastered, or hell even something built from the ground up as a remake, but really just the same exact game but prettier like The Last of Us Part I basically is, then yeah I could understand, but the RE4 remake substantially changes things. It's not a 1:1 remake, turned out phenomenally, so yeah a great game is a great game so why shouldn't it get some recognition? Contrast it to the Dead Space remake, which does adjust some minor bits (like the asteroid section), and it's obvious to me why RE4RE gets the nod. I get it's using the blueprints of the original which was already a masterpiece, so is "cheating", or getting an advantage in that regard, but even still, to deny its excellence, and say, sorry developers, you don't get any awards because it's just a remake. Like if they remade the original RE1 in the modern over-the-shoulder view, which would drastically change how that game plays, updated the story, changed some environmental stuff around, etc., and it turned out great as well, would you also say it doesn't deserve GOTY nominations even if it was one of the best gaming experiences of whatever year it would come out? Did you all say the same thing when RE2RE came out? 

For me it’s just an off the cuff opinion, I haven’t thought about it in great detail :P

TotK is still my GotY, but I don't have much interest in BG3.

RE4 Remake was masterful and replaces the original in my Top 10 of all time.

AW2 was good and while it's not my favorite game, it was really cool to see a studio get so creative and be able to take all these chances with a game when you just don't see that with many big budget games anymore. I'm not at all bothered by those who love it enough to give it GotY.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Brian said:

Alan Wake 2 + Alan Wake Remastered for $27 on Epic Game Store.  No wonder everyone is pimping this game, it’s a bomba

Run Away Nuclear Bomb GIF by Identity

It has no physical version, no steam version, and has super high system requirements on pc, using a modern shader system that takes gpu’s that can run every other game out of the equation - this was quite predictable!

But it is why it does need all the attention it can get so it does get more sales and we get more games where developers take huge risks instead of the same ol same ol, agreed!

• True 1

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

It has no physical version, no steam version, and has super high system requirements on pc, using a modern shader system that takes gpu’s that can run every other game out of the equation - this was quite predictable!

But it is why it does need all the attention it can get so it does get more sales and we get more games where developers take huge risks instead of the same ol same ol, agreed!

What "risks" are you guys talking about? If it's spoilers tag it because I'm interested. I won't be beating it so I'm fine with spoilers. 

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What "risks" are you guys talking about? If it's spoilers tag it because I'm interested. I won't be beating it so I'm fine with spoilers. 

Even without spoiling it, the entire flow of the game being a AAA that is focusing on story more than combat, it has a very esoteric direction, and the structure of the game doesn’t follow how typical games place their acts. It also mixes multi media in a unique way combining motion captured real time acting with actual filmed acting, sometimes both on screen at the same time. The way it combined music with the game.

It combined a lot of art and media into something that doesn’t feel like any other game, not even the original. Hell, just the fact that it’s such a radical departure from the original is a huge risk. Like Spider-man 2 is also one of the best games I’ve played, but it’s still very very similar to the first game and Miles. If Spider-man 2 didn’t exist, I could satisfy myself with the previous games. If Alan Wake 2 didn’t exist, I got nothing that scratches the same itch. And that is why it’s my GOTY.

Honestly you can likely look at a lot of what you don’t like about the game, and that’s because it goes in such a different direction. One that you happened to not connect with.

With very light spoilers that are mentioned in the numerous articles expounding on why it’s great you could also read its stuff like 

A fucking 10 minute musical shoot out that goes balls out as an actual musical

An entire 15 minutes short film that is totally optional playing in the theater

With that said, I’ve always stated that I understand people not enjoying it. But I sure as fuck did, and I’m not going to keep going on defending something so trivial especially when I’m surrounded by vindication :P

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Even without spoiling it, the entire flow of the game being a AAA that is focusing on story more than combat, it has a very esoteric direction, and the structure of the game doesn’t follow how typical games place their acts. It also mixes multi media in a unique way combining motion captured real time acting with actual filmed acting, sometimes both on screen at the same time. The way it combined music with the game.

It combined a lot of art and media into something that doesn’t feel like any other game, not even the original. Hell, just the fact that it’s such a radical departure from the original is a huge risk. Like Spider-man 2 is also one of the best games I’ve played, but it’s still very very similar to the first game and Miles. If Spider-man 2 didn’t exist, I could satisfy myself with the previous games. If Alan Wake 2 didn’t exist, I got nothing that scratches the same itch. And that is why it’s my GOTY.

Honestly you can likely look at a lot of what you don’t like about the game, and that’s because it goes in such a different direction. One that you happened to not connect with.

With very light spoilers that are mentioned in the numerous articles expounding on why it’s great you could also read its stuff like 

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

With that said, I’ve always stated that I understand people not enjoying it. But I sure as fuck did, and I’m not going to keep going on defending something so trivial especially when I’m surrounded by vindication :P

Great post and thank you for explaining. I wish I could get into it like you did but it just didn't grab my attention. I gave it a lot of time too but the gameplay just didn't do it for me. You make great points with the Spider-Man comparison. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 7:07 PM, stepee said:

Yes Control connects back to AW a little itself, mostly with the AWE expansion, then AW2 connects back to Control heavily.

I would do release order still. AW > AW dlc > American Nightmare > Control > AWE > AW2 - Control doesn’t really connect to QB and QB doesn’t connect back to AW itself so if you want to do that as well it could fit anywhere before AW2.

I just finished Episode 1 of AW -- what am I getting myself into?

• Haha 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

Another round from the editors and writers of The Gamer!

Ben Sledge, Features Editor

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Ben Sledge’s ten ledges, part three

10. The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom

09. Viewfinder

08. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk

07. Chants Of Sennaar

06. The Invincible

05. Cocoon

04. Dredge

03. Cassette Beasts

02. Dave the Diver

01. GOTY Editor's Pick: Baldur's Gate III

Jerel Levy, Evergreen Editor

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Even as a contrarian, I couldn't ignore the impact of some of the games that were released this year.

10. Final Fantasy XVI

09. The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of the Kingdom

08. Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries Of Honjo

07. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line

06. Resident Evil 4 Remake

05. Street Fighter 6

04. Super Mario RPG

03. Fire Emblem Engage

02. Octopath Traveler 2

Rhiannon Bevan, Deputy News Lead and Chief Reporter

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

My Game of the Year list, now with double the Sonic games from last year.

10. The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog

09. Mortal Kombat 1

08. Star Trek: Resurgence

07. Street Fighter 6

06. Thirsty Suitors

05. Sonic Superstars

04. Resident Evil 4 Remake

03. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

02. Alan Wake II

Just now, best3444 said:

Um...play it. If I had money I'd force you to play it!

No. I hate Yuri Lowenthal. His voice is dogshit and immersion-breaking.

Also, I have no interest in playing a game with two protagonists. It was a huge flaw with GTA5.

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

The final nominations will be announced in…

Baldur’s Gate 3 and Alan Wake 2 have received the most nominations in the longlist for the BAFTA Games Awards 2024.

This year, in a change from its usual process, the UK arts charity has listed the 60 games that make up its longlist of nominees.

BAFTA members will start voting to decide the final nominations for the Best Game and British Game categories in January, while BAFTA juries will vote in the other 15 categories.

The final nominations will be announced on March 7, 2024.

In the longlist, Baldur’s Gate 3 has been nominated for 15 categories, while Alan Wake 2 has been nominated for 14.

Behind these are Spider-Man 2 (10 categories), Hogwarts Legacy (9) Final Fantasy 16 (8) and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (8).

BEST GAME LONGLIST

Alan Wake 2
Baldur’s Gate 3
Cocoon
Dave the Diver
Dredge
Hogwarts Legacy
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
Super Mario Bros. Wonder

• Hype 1

18 minutes ago, Bacon said:

No. I hate Yuri Lowenthal. His voice is dogshit and immersion-breaking.

Also, I have no interest in playing a game with two protagonists. It was a huge flaw with GTA5.

Spider-Man 2 is so well done in terms of playing 2 characters. I was worried about it myself but it was executed so freakin well. As for the voice, is Yuri Miles? If so, yes, his voice is like finger nails on a chalk board. But it's still worth playing because it's so well made.