The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

What a delightfully silly, highly entertaining episode :lol: :clap:

I think it speaks to a degree of confidence in itself that this show is so very willing to relegate its ostensible protagonist to an essentially supporting role for so much of this season.  Of course, that could be a reflection that Din Djarin might not necessarily be the main character of this series anymore as the IGN article posted below suggests.

In essence, while he was the titular "The Mandalorian" for the first two seasons of this series (and half the season for Boba Fett's own show), it could very well be that he isn't "The Mandalorian" for this season (or perhaps even going forward) and that "The Mandalorian" of show's title now really is Bo-Katan.

ssf-mando-s3-oo-thumb-1677279757269.jpg?
WWW.IGN.COM

The latest episode of The Mandalorian solidifies something we've suspected all season long - this is no longer Din Djarin's show. Find out why Bo-Katan has become the series' true main protagonist in Season 3.

And as @CayceG suggested above, the title could eventually pass from Bo-Katan to

Spoiler

Sabine Wren

We might need to stop thinking of the show's title in terms of a single, specific "The Mandalorian" and that it will pass (much like the Darksaber itself) from one Mandalorian to another.

12 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What a delightfully silly, highly entertaining episode :lol: :clap:

I think it speaks to a degree of confidence in itself that this show is so very willing to relegate its ostensible protagonist to an essentially supporting role for so much of this season.  Of course, that could be a reflection that Din Djarin might not necessarily be the main character of this series anymore as the IGN article posted below suggests.

In essence, while he was the titular "The Mandalorian" for the first two seasons of this series (and half the season for Boba Fett's own show), it could very well be that he isn't "The Mandalorian" for this season (or perhaps even going forward) and that "The Mandalorian" of show's title now really is Bo-Katan.

ssf-mando-s3-oo-thumb-1677279757269.jpg?
WWW.IGN.COM

The latest episode of The Mandalorian solidifies something we've suspected all season long - this is no longer Din Djarin's show. Find out why Bo-Katan has become the series' true main protagonist in Season 3.

And as @CayceG suggested above, the title could eventually pass from Bo-Katan to

Reveal hidden contents

Sabine Wren

We might need to stop thinking of the show's title in terms of a single, specific "The Mandalorian" and that it will pass (much like the Darksaber itself) from one Mandalorian to another.

Since the show began, my belief has been that Grogu was always the Mandalorian from conception. It just took a couple of seasons for that to play out. But I always suspected that was going to be the case.

• True 1

This show is great.

I'm happy that between this, Andor, The Last Jedi, etc., we get to see more of what life is like in the galaxy.

As it pertains to The Mandalorian specifically, I think the show is strong enough that you can have episodes that diverge from Din and Grogu, even for a few in a row if they decide to go that route. I can't imagine they'll ever just push the duo to the side; their appeal is strong enough that they show up in other shows. But if they wanna do a Bo arc, or an armorer arc, yeah, sure, why not. With the inevitable reappearance of Moff Gideon it's clear that Din / Grogu are the gravitational center of the show, but the stuff in their orbit is interesting and fun, too.

As for Mandalorians generally, they have such a funny place in the canon. They're fierce, proud warriors, but they take Ls in almost any conflict greater than a skirmish. They're proud of their family and Mandalorian heritage, but you know, if this dude from another planet has the Darksaber I guess we gotta bolt horns onto our helmets now. Everyone's got FTL ships and they love Mandalore, but nobody takes the 15 minutes it would take to figure out the planet isn't ACTUALLY cursed. 

Anyway Lizzo being in Star Wars fucking rules and this episode was a lot of fun.

• Hugs 1

On 3/25/2023 at 10:02 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Again I am begging people to remember that even though this is ostensibly prestige television, some of the best episodes of long running shows have little to nothing to do with "the plot" and indeed many wonderful shows barely have "a plot" at all. The X-Files, Quantum Leap, Star Trek TNG, the list goes on and on on and on.

LTTP on this convo but 100% agreed. I think this show is doing a good job of blending "prestige" television (whatever the fuck that means anymore), pulpy cowboy adventure-of-the-week stylings a là "Bonanza" or "Gunsmoke", and fitting into a larger meta universe. Not every episode needs to be a cliffhanger. Not every plotline needs to have meaning next season (or even next episode). Those things can and do happen. But they don't need to be literally every episode.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I'm sure a lot of posters here will come up with all sorts of reasons to never want to listen to this guy...

The use of the word "woke" in his video titles is all the reason I'll ever need to never want to see it on my board.

I have no doubt that there are many thoughtful YouTubers who have more than legitimate criticisms of this season of the show.  Hell, even "ultra-woke" ResetERA doesn't like this season at all.  But I'll be damned if I'll allow a video by a guy who appears to routinely use caricatured expressions of minorities in the thumbnails for his videos.

To hell with that "digital blackface" shit right there.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

*slowly creeps in*

I liked the episode. It’s hard to top Andore for me right now, but it has enough moments for me to stay interested in the show. Plus I like the occasional Ezra nuggets here and there too. Plus I liked that half of this episode felt like an episode of Blade Runner. 

*slowly creeps out*

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Trying to remember all the woke stuff I’ve seen this season and can’t seem to recall anything at all.

The "w-word" didn't appear in the title of the video that was posted, but one look at that guy's site and he uses it repeatedly in video titles.

What the video that was posted did have was Lizzo with an unflattering facial expression and while the guy's other videos do have non-minority characters also with unflattering facial expressions, he doesn't seem to have a problem with using minority characters in the same context over and over again.

That combined with the use of the "w-word"...well, to hell with him.

• Like 1

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The "w-word" didn't appear in the title of the video that was posted, but one look at that guy's site and he uses it repeatedly in video titles.

What the video that was posted did have was Lizzo with an unflattering facial expression and while the guy's other videos do have non-minority characters also with unflattering facial expressions, he doesn't seem to have a problem with using minority characters in the same context over and over again.

That combined with the use of the "w-word"...well, to hell with him.

Gotcha. I honestly wouldn’t have known that was Lizzo unless I read a little of this thread. I don’t understand the hate. This show isn’t going for best drama Emmy or something. Nor looking to create best actor noms. It’s a pulpy space cowboy show. I thought her and Jack Black’s characters were pretty silly but in a good way. It was fun. Shrug. 

I think it's generally hysterical looking at & hearing about all the awful (in my opinion) "hot takes" about this season. Clearly those that did not watch, or were not fans of, both The Clone Wars & Rebels, then you're just not into Filoni's work then (sorry then you'll probably not going to enjoy Ahsoka either.) That being said, as a viewer of those series since their beginning, I have come to truly love & adore Dave's take on storytelling within the Star Wars Universe. This season has given us so much already & we still have what, another 2 or 3 episodes to go? Coincidentally, the final two episodes will be directed by the same guy that directed the season 3 premiere, so that's cool.

I also have to add this: I have despised & even outright hated Jack Black for decades. There is nothing redeemable about this guy, he's a hack, I just don't like him I cannot explain it. That being said however, in this weeks' episode, it was the least Jack Black of his performances, so that was pleasant.

• Guillotine 1

On 4/5/2023 at 2:15 PM, CayceG said:

Overall, I'm digging the season, but I don't think it's hitting the highs of S1 and S2. It seems to just be... cornier. That's not bad. But it's just...

Filoni!

I do not like the corniness as it's presented in this season. It feels goofier than even any of the animated series (the Bad Batch takes itself more seriously), probably because it's contrasted against the live-action nature of the show and the tonal expectations they established in prior episodes. In Season 2 I could see the Clone Wars-esque trend of introducing multiple storylines and protagonists was going to be a bigger part of the series and was I all for that, but I didn't expect a drastic shift in tone for this season.  I also think the writing is bad - very ham-fisted, uninspired - and the cinematography makes the CGI even more cartoon-like than it needs to be. Both of these exacerbate the other problems, and overshadow my enjoyment of the good parts.

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I will say that there is a stark tonal difference between where the show started and where it is now. but I also think that it gradually got to where it is now. It wasn't just from one episode or season to the next.

This is for sure true - you watch that opening teaser trailer for season 1 and it feels like a different show. However, since this show is episodic the tone changes from episode to episode, so it can be that "serious" bounty hunting show when it wants to be.

The show’s change in tone has coincided with Din’s character development; I think this is one of the more effective things the show has more relaxed vibes. Now he’s giving Grogu paintball guns and he gets to let Lizzo cheat at bocce. Season 4 premier will be him and Bo-Katan having helmeted sex while Grogu freebases death sticks in its darkest arc yet. 

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The show’s change in tone has coincided with Din’s character development; I think this is one of the more effective things the show has more relaxed vibes. Now he’s giving Grogu paintball guns and he gets to let Lizzo cheat at bocce. Season 4 premier will be him and Bo-Katan having helmeted sex while Grogu freebases death sticks in its darkest arc yet. 

It's definitely true Din has softened so the show has softened, and it's been fun! We still get badass stuff from time to time, and it's not like torturing Pershing is fun for the whole family, so I think it's good the show can be chameleon-like when it wants to be.  

30 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I would watch the shit outta that

• Hugs 1

15 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I will say that there is a stark tonal difference between where the show started and where it is now. but I also think that it gradually got to where it is now. It wasn't just from one episode or season to the next.

It was gradual throughout seasons 1,2,and BoBF, but turned logarithmic when episode 3 spent half its runtime with an F-tier character.

12 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The show’s change in tone has coincided with Din’s character development; I think this is one of the more effective things the show has more relaxed vibes. 

The show is not that meta.

• Guillotine 1

My wife and I had a lot of fun this episode. Three factions of Mandalorians teaming up (including Nite Owl remnants), name drop of Death Watch, Project Necromancer clearly being a connection to a terrible plot point from TROS (but making it at least more justifiable), Hux's dad being in there, Thrawn mention, Paz Visla being a badass, early Praetorian Guards, and more. A good time, and they have a good chance to tie it all together next week.

23 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

My wife and I had a lot of fun this episode. Three factions of Mandalorians teaming up (including Nite Owl remnants), name drop of Death Watch, Project Necromancer clearly being a connection to a terrible plot point from TROS (but making it at least more justifiable), Hux's dad being in there, Thrawn mention, Paz Visla being a badass, early Praetorian Guards, and more. A good time, and they have a good chance to tie it all together next week.

Yeah, I really think they were firing on all cylinders this week.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1