The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

Having my expectations vastly rearranged by Andor will prove to be useful because I can treat Mando like a junk food snack that's just all in fun. I can wave away silly things like cameos or what have you with ease.

That said, first ep was enjoyable. It sets up the season very nicely.

I hardly noticed any Volume usage. There had to be some, but it was all seamless. And damned if that Mando theme music doesn't hit just right every time. 

I give it 4 out of 10 Glup Shittos for cameo appearances. Not bad, but there are definitely several things that show up because they're beloved and recognizable. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

What they saw in hyperspace better be a GD Ezra tease.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

It 100% is. 

It better fucking be because just showing Purgill cruising hyperspace so Rebels fans can go: "oh, I recognize that" is a cruel tease. This was a good season premiere. Meet some of the supporting cast and see where they are at, set out the tasks/goals, etc. A bit sedate for a premiere despite the well done action scenes but Mandalorian has always been more about just having fun and cruising around in the Star Wars universe for the most part. Andor it ain't and isn't trying to be.

Also, I agree that the Volume VFX work was stellar in this premiere. Mandalorian seems to have always done it best, probably because they basically started it so know it best.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

It better fucking be because just showing Purgill cruising hyperspace so Rebels fans can go: "oh, I recognize that" is a cruel tease. This was a good season premiere. Meet some of the supporting cast and see where they are at, set out the tasks/goals, etc. A bit sedate for a premiere despite the well done action scenes but Mandalorian has always been more about just having fun and cruising around in the Star Wars universe for the most part.

Also, I agree that the Volume VFX work was stellar in this premiere. Mandalorian seems to have always done it best, probably because they basically started it so know it best.

There's an Ahsoka show coming later this year, right? I don't mind if this is a tease as long as we get somewhere with one of those shows.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

It is fucking wild that Grogu is... just back. And none of that was even really covered in the in-show flashback at all IIRC? I watch all these goofy shows so whatever but this is a really bizarre decision.

Just buy the Collector's Hat 2023 Edition™ from your local Disney Theme Park and the details are on the inside of the washing instructions label!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It is fucking wild that Grogu is... just back. And none of that was even really covered in the in-show flashback at all IIRC? I watch all these goofy shows so whatever but this is a really bizarre decision.

Not including any BoBF footage in the recap was definitely a choice. 

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

There's an Ahsoka show coming later this year, right? I don't mind if this is a tease as long as we get somewhere with one of those shows.

There is, coming out late this year, so that probably is where stuff would most likely happen. I'll take this tease if it occurs there for sure instead of here.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Came to ask about this and found out I missed the answer because I didn’t watch a show that everybody said sucked. 

11 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

Just found out you have to watch another show to catch up on the story. That's insane. Really makes me not want to even bother with season 3.

9 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Came to ask about this and found out I missed the answer because I didn’t watch a show that everybody said sucked. 

Mando is an 8 episode season, so think of it like you get 2 and a half new episodes as prequels. 

To be honest, the 5th and 6th episodes of Book of Boba Fett are the most relevant. 

Episode 5 is called "Return of the Mandalorian" and covers where Mando is. Ep 6 continues that story with what Grogu is doing. There's more Fett storyline there, but that part isn't essential. It's the Grogu parts. 

Episode 7 is useful because it's when Grogu and Mando reunite. It's cool because you get to see Mando and Boba do rad shit otherwise. 

The rest doesn't have to matter. 

11 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Yeah, if it wasn’t for the fact that those episodes are all filmed and finished way in advance you’d think that the Mandalorian episodes were used to save a show that was getting panned by viewers. They ended up being the best parts of the show, which is not great for Book of Boba Fett. 

If you don’t want to watch them I understand. It would seem you really only need to know a few things. 

Din can’t wield the Dark Saber, because it’s ‘fighting him’. 

Din had his beskar spear made into a chain mail shirt for Grogu.

Din was told he shouldn’t see Grogu because it would hurt his Jedi training, so he left the chain mail to be given to him by Luke. 

Luke gave Grogu a choice of continuing the Jedi training and getting a lightsaber or accepting the chain mail gift and going back to Din. 

Grogu chose the chain mail, because Luke is a horrible monster, and Grogu was taken back to Din.

Something felt off about the episode to me. I think it was I just couldn’t get why such a big deal is being made over that droid. It almost felt like satire on how fans always want fan service from even minor characters, and even if it doesn’t make sense or doesn’t feel needed. But I feel like much of the season will be dedicated to getting parts to fix the droid. 

Otherwise, enjoyable. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Something felt off about the episode to me. I think it was I just couldn’t get why such a big deal is being made over that droid. It almost felt like satire on how fans always want fan service from even minor characters, and even if it doesn’t make sense or doesn’t feel needed. But I feel like much of the season will be dedicated to getting parts to fix the droid. 

Otherwise, enjoyable. 

The tone is lighter and less serious, and there's no active threat to Grogu looming over every episode like the past 2 seasons.  The Book of Boba Fett fully transitioned these D+ shows to a live-action Clone Wars successor - have fun, expand lore, do cool shit, and fan service.

• True 1

16 hours ago, CayceG said:

Not including any BoBF footage in the recap was definitely a choice. 

There was ONE scene from BoBF in the recap and that was the "Have you removed your helmet?" scene. No idea why literally nothing about Grogu was included.

There's certainly a lot of confused people. I don't think it was smart of Disney to put so much of the Mando story in BoBF. Yes it lifts up an otherwise extremely lackluster show, but it creates a lot of problems for overall public awareness of the current state of the Mando storyline.

This was a pretty strong opening for S3. I think it was smart to show Din Djarin being a badass for the first episode rather than immediately making him vulnerable. Good for the fans that have been looking forward to seeing him again, and good for hyping the season.

I didn't instantly think of Ezra when we saw the space whales, and I don't see that as a promise, but man it would be cool. As much as I liked IG-88, I don't think it's smart to bring him back. Makes his sacrifice somewhat meaningless if his "death" isn't permanent.

• True 1

38 minutes ago, Reputator said:

As much as I liked IG-88, I don't think it's smart to bring him back. Makes his sacrifice somewhat meaningless if his "death" isn't permanent.

Just a clarification for everyone, it's IG-11 (Taika Waititi), not IG-88, in the same way that the Mandalorian is Din Djarin, not Boba Fett. In the same way its not Baby Yoda, its Grogu.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just a clarification for everyone, it's IG-11 (Taika Waititi), not IG-88, in the same way that the Mandalorian is Din Djarin, not Boba Fett. In the same way its not Baby Yoda, its Grogu.

Cat Glasses GIF by Leroy Patterson

5 hours ago, Reputator said:

As much as I liked IG-88, I don't think it's smart to bring him back. Makes his sacrifice somewhat meaningless if his "death" isn't permanent.

same. I grow tired of meaningless deaths in some of these franchises. I don’t need every show to be Game of Thrones or Walking Dead and full of death just wiping out anyone. But it’s ok for the occasional character to die. 

• Halal 1

I'm going to put on my "Disney Simp" hat and say IG-11's death would not be meaningless if he were brought back. He successfully defended Mando and team from Moff Gideon and his self-destruct allowed them all to escape. He played his part. 

And if he can be brought back--and he can, because he's a droid--that wouldn't negate any of the previous actions on his part. 

If we were talking Kuiil, then I'd be on y'all's team. But IG-11 is a droid. This isn't unheard of. 

• Halal 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:59 PM, Bjomesphat said:

Just found out you have to watch another show to catch up on the story. That's insane. Really makes me not want to even bother with season 3.

Or just find a recap on YouTube that takes 5 minutes? Or read the Wiki real quick? It’s not that big a deal. 

2 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I liked Book of Boba Fett. It was fine. 

Yeah I don't think it's a bad show at all. I liked it as well. It was a bit of an odd choice in today's media climate where so... many... people... think that anything that doesn't advance "the plot" is filler. The show is Boba Fett / Tatooine vibes and it does those pretty well. Also I non-ironically liked the scooter chase even though it looked like it was going at 5 MPH :p

The one thing that is a little weird to me about BOBF and Mando so far is that all of the Mandalorian armor aside from Din's and the Armorer's look like cosplay gear. It's strange. The orange bits on Boba Fett's shoulder armor are obviously plastic, you can see light diffuse through them.