Shōgun (Hulu/FX | adaptation of James Clavell’s 1975 novel) - new trailers posted

I was behind but have finally caught up and watched episodes 3 and 4. This is an excellent adaptation of the book. Not perfect but as good as one could have hoped for. They are absolutely nailing the Marika-Blackthorne relationship and the authenticity with the brutality of that final cannon scene: goddamn. Everyone really needs to be watching this show.

9 hours ago, johnny said:

god this show is so fucking good 

to the people who have read the book, has it been pretty faithful? this makes me want to read it. 

All of the broad strokes (so far) are there, so its a pretty good adaption. Certain sub plot events are slightly reorder to support character development. The biggest difference is that the book had a LOT of thoughts unspoken that serve to fill in the world and its citizen's motives. The TV adaption doesn't have this luxury and so its down to the actors to convey much of this with body language and tone. That said, I think the cast is doing a great job with that angle and I could hardly be happier with the show! I will add that Blackthorn as a protagonist is a little more virtuous then he was in the book. Not a deal breaker, but it is a change to one of the book's main characters, and this could again be down to not hearing his thoughts like you get to in the book. 

• Hype 1

10 hours ago, johnny said:

god this show is so fucking good 

to the people who have read the book, has it been pretty faithful? this makes me want to read it. 

Basically . . . 

24 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

All of the broad strokes (so far) are there, so its a pretty good adaption. Certain sub plot events are slightly reorder to support character development. The biggest difference is that the book had a LOT of thoughts unspoken that serve to fill in the world and its citizen's motives. The TV adaption doesn't have this luxury and so its down to the actors to convey much of this with body language and tone. That said, I think the cast is doing a great job with that angle and I could hardly be happier with the show! I will add that Blackthorn as a protagonist is a little more virtuous then he was in the book. Not a deal breaker, but it is a change to one of the book's main characters, and this could again be down to not hearing his thoughts like you get to in the book. 

This. It's a great adaptation, but it sands off the rougher edges of all the characters, particularly Buntaro and Yabushige. Blackthorne is a little more virtuous but he was always a bit more virtuous given his different value set than all the Japanese people. I'd say the book fills in a lot more detail about every day Japanese life in that era for the different castes, there are a lot more characters to add to the mystery/intrigue of the political machinations and you get a lot more of the inner thoughts of all of the characters where you learn how truly weird (or different in 1600) everyone was. Still, this is the best adaptation one could get given the density of the material. I absolutely recommend the book.

• Halal 1

Man, another absolutely fantastic and compelling episode of TV. They are doing the best they can to nail the surreal poetry and romance from the book of scenes like praying in two different languages at the same time with a wall between Blackthorne and Mariko or everything with Kiku at the Willow World. Four more to go.

I finally got caught up. This is, with out exaggeration or any hyperbole, is one of the greatest pieces of media I have experienced. That last episode in particular. It should be getting talked about in the conversation for greatest individual episodes of television of all time. I really hope this show and its actors get the recognition they deserve

• Hype 3

I'm sure TV show fans were surprised by how much more of a denoument this final episode is, expecting there to be some big final battle instead, but that's not really what the book is about. I really enjoyed the finale, wrapping things up and really closing out the characters' journeys. It did feel a tad rushed in the last 10 minutes or so, but they nailed the individual scenes and concepts. What a miniseries - loved it. I'm sad they didn't keep/show the very final line of the book, but I imagine they felt that was too much of a downer ending. What they went with was good though instead.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm sure TV show fans were surprised by how much more of a denoument this final episode is, expecting there to be some big final battle instead, but that's not really what the book is about. I really enjoyed the finale, wrapping things up and really closing out the characters' journeys. It did feel a tad rushed in the last 10 minutes or so, but they nailed the individual scenes and concepts. What a miniseries - loved it. I'm sad they didn't keep/show the very final line of the book, but I imagine they felt that was too much of a downer ending. What they went with was good though instead.

Haven’t watched the finale yet. But as a non book reader I can say I wasn’t/am not expecting a large battle of any kind. That would actually be pretty disappointing if there was one haha. The political and social maneuvering is what makes the story great and that’s how I’m hoping it finishes its story. 

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Haven’t watched the finale yet. But as a non book reader I can say I wasn’t/am not expecting a large battle of any kind. That would actually be pretty disappointing if there was one haha. The political and social maneuvering is what makes the story great and that’s how I’m hoping it finishes its story. 

That's promising to hear! I hope most people who didn't read the book "get" that what happened in episode 9 was the battle. Obviously all of these characters are based on real historical people (just the names have been changed and how things went down embellished) so of course there were battles in real life but that's not how it works for this specific story (the Battle of Sekigahara being very famous, as one example).