Shōgun (Hulu/FX | adaptation of James Clavell’s 1975 novel) - new trailers posted

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shōgun (Hulu/FX, 27 February 2024) - Official Trailer of adaptation of James Clavell’s 1975 novel
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shōgun (Hulu/FX | adaptation of James Clavell’s 1975 novel | 27 February 2024) - "War is Inevitable" red band trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shōgun (Hulu/FX | adaptation of James Clavell’s 1975 novel | 27 February 2024) - new trailers posted
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I remember my parents watching the original 1980 miniseries starring Richard Chamberlain.

Richard Chamberlain was the king of the miniseries in the 1980s. If there was a miniseries, chances were that Richard Chamberlain was in the lead actor role.

several for sure

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

Just watched the first episode. This is going to be epic. 

The word "epic" is unquestionably overused in the current entertainment discourse.

However, in the case of this show, I honestly can't think of any other descriptor that could possibly apply as every dollar of this show's  budget is readily evident on-screen!

"Sorry about your sack-of-shit lord" :lol:

• Like 1
  • Hype 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shōgun (Hulu/FX | adaptation of James Clavell’s 1975 novel) - new trailers posted

The second episode pretty much kicked the political machinations/motivations of the various factions into high gear!

I'm guessing that Christianity was somewhat tolerated in Japan in the early 1600s (prior to being banned by the Tokugawa shogunate in 1612) though it's still obviously heavily discriminated against.  I think that a really good companion piece to this series would be what I consider to be Martin Scorsese's finest film, "Silence":

• Halal 1

45 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm guessing that Christianity was somewhat tolerated in Japan in the early 1600s (prior to being banned by the Tokugawa shogunate in 1612) though it's still obviously heavily discriminated against.  I think that a really good companion piece to this series would be what I consider to be Martin Scorsese's finest film, "Silence":

I was thinking the exact same thing while watching this, that this and Silence make great companion pieces. I really enjoyed the first two episodes, it's a very good adaptation of the book so far, it speeds through some things a bit too fast and sands off some edges, but ultimately they are nitpicks given how long and dense the book is. As others have said, the show really sells this is shot on real locations with the epic, bombastic feel the show has while feeling intimate at the same time. Atticus and Leopold Ross's score really does some great work as well, the track playing while the assassin is killing off people at the end was excellent. I didn't like how fast we get to the meat of the story, but the scene where Blackthorne explains what Japan is to the outside world is straight out of the book and it nailed that scene really well and any worries I had went away. I agreed with this article as to the differences (spoilers for the first two episodes) but I'm just happy to be getting such a great adaptation of one of my favorite books of all time. For those curious about checking out the book: 

WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

The new FX series Shogun makes some changes from the massive book that inspired it. Let's compare the two.

• Halal 1

On 2/27/2024 at 8:24 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The word "epic" is unquestionably overused in the current entertainment discourse.

However, in the case of this show, I honestly can't think of any other descriptor that could possibly apply as every dollar of this show's  budget is readily evident on-screen!

"Sorry about your sack-of-shit lord" :lol:

epic reply

I'm holding out so I can watch all episodes as I see fit (2 episodes a night for 5 nights). The waiting is awful though, but I want to be immersed in this one. Shogun is easily in my top 50 childhood books.  

• Hype 1