Gaza/Israel Update (04/02): Israeli airstrike kills foreign workers of World Central Kitchen (Chef José Andrés food aid charity)

On 3/22/2024 at 1:46 PM, Uaarkson said:

If you ever feel worthless in life, just remember the UN exists.

The duality of the UN:

WWW.BBC.COM

The UN also found "reasonable grounds to believe" rapes took place during Hamas's 7 October attack.

WWW.AMNESTY.ORG

Ahead of the expected announcement that Saudi Arabia will be appointed chair of the UN women’s rights forum at the annual meeting of the UN Commission of the Status of Women today, Amnesty...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Israelis cancelled a White House visit because the US voted to abstain rather than vetoing the UN ceasefire resolution.

It's going to be tough trying to please everyone. Someone is going to be pissed that Biden isn't be harsh enough on Israel while others are going to be angry he's not giving Israel pre-approval for every action they take.

2 hours ago, ort said:

They need to invent a combo bomb that explodes like normal but also sends out food and medical supplies as a form of humanitarian shrapnel for the victims.

A drone that prefabs a McD's after impact.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gaza/Israel Update (04/02): Israeli airstrike kills foreign workers of World Central Kitchen (Chef José Andrés food aid charity)
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Israeli military investigating after World Central Kitchen workers were in convoy struck in central Gaza

Seven people working with World Central Kitchen, a charity spearheading efforts to alleviate looming famine in Gaza, have been killed in an Israeli airstrike, the charity said, throwing humanitarian relief efforts in the Palestinian territory into chaos as the organisation said it would suspend operations.

The workers were travelling in two armoured vehicles branded with the charity’s logo, according to a statement released early on Tuesday. World Central Kitchen (WCK) said those killed were from the UK, Australia, Poland and Palestine, as well as a US-Canada dual citizen.

The bodies of the aid workers were taken to a hospital in Gaza’s southern city of Rafah, on the Egyptian border, according to an Associated Press reporter at the facility. Hospital records said three UK citizens had died.

The charity said: “Despite coordinating movements with the [Israeli army], the convoy was hit as it was leaving the Deir al-Balah warehouse, where the team had unloaded more than 100 tons of humanitarian food aid brought to Gaza on the maritime route.”

Erin Gore, the WCK chief executive, said: “This is not only an attack against WCK, this is an attack on humanitarian organisations showing up in the most dire of situations where food is being used as a weapon of war. This is unforgivable.”

The charity will pause its operations in the region and says it will make a decision about the future of its work, raising fears that a nascent maritime corridor from Cyprus to deliver desperately needed aid to Gaza in the face of repeated Israeli obstructions may collapse.

Cyprus said on Tuesday afternoon that ships that recently arrived in Gaza were turning back with 240 tonnes of undelivered aid.

Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, lamented the killings, which he said had been caused by an Israeli airstrike. He described the incident as tragic and unintended.

“This happens in wartime. We are thoroughly looking into it, are in contact with the governments [of the foreigners among the victims] and will do everything to ensure it does not happen again,” he said in a video statement.

The Israeli military expressed “sincere sorrow” over the deaths while stopping short of accepting responsibility, adding that an investigation was under way.

A statement from the military said: “The IDF makes extensive efforts to enable the safe delivery of humanitarian aid, and has been working closely with WCK in their vital efforts to provide food and humanitarian aid to the people of Gaza.”

• Sad 1

War is terrible in ways that are difficult to describe. I feel a real sadness for the young people we send off to battle and be a part of this mess. I would hope our ability to see these things in near real-time would encourage more people to reject the notion that we must settle conflicts with violence. But probably not. Instead people will see the bad acts of the other as justification for their own wrongdoing. I saw a little bit of the discourse around an AJ+ video of a reporter talking about seeing Oppenheimer and being critical of America for dropping the bomb. Watching people bring up atrocity after atrocity as some defense was honestly stomach churning.

As Rodney King famously asked “can’t we all just get along?”

No, apparently not.

• Hugs 3

Just now, sblfilms said:

War is terrible in ways that are difficult to describe. I feel a real sadness for the young people we send off to battle and be a part of this mess. I would hope our ability to see these things in near real-time would encourage more people to reject the notion that we must settle conflicts with violence. But probably not. Instead people will see the bad acts of the other as justification for their own wrongdoing. I saw a little bit of the discourse around an AJ+ video of a reporter talking about seeing Oppenheimer and being critical of America for dropping the bomb. Watching people bring up atrocity after atrocity as some defense was honestly stomach churning.

As Rodney King famously asked “can’t we all just get along?”

No, apparently not.

Agreed. Good to see you, buddy.

• Halal 2

This has been a tragedy from every conceivable metric and Bibi has seen Israel into a pariah, the desire for an over response was obvious and he played into it. Getting my family out is all I have the bandwidth to care about now

Every week I wonder how this can possibly get worse and now we have World Central Kitchen workers getting killed in airstrikes.

Bibi is a fucking monster.

Biden really needs to just pull any and all aid now until he’s gone.

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Israeli military investigating after World Central Kitchen workers were in convoy struck in central Gaza

-Coordinated with Israeli army

-Wasn't "an airstrike" but three seperate ones spread a couple km a part

-Had signifying logos on their vehicle roofs

Pretty clear this was intentional and as long as the US lets them basically do anything without consequences this will continue. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/chef-jose-andres-says-israel-targeted-his-aid-workers-systematically-car-by-car-2024-04-03/

Celebrity chef Jose Andres told Reuters in an emotional interview on Wednesday that an Israeli attack that killed seven of his food aid workers in Gaza had targeted them "systematically, car by car."

Speaking via video, Andres said the World Central Kitchen (WCK) charity group he founded had clear communication with the Israeli military, which he said knew his aid workers' movements.

"This was not just a bad luck situation where ‘oops’ we dropped the bomb in the wrong place," Andres said.

"This was over a 1.5, 1.8 kilometers, with a very defined humanitarian convoy that had signs in the top, in the roof, a very colorful logo that we are obviously very proud of," he said. It's “very clear who we are and what we do.”

Andres said there may have been more than three strikes against the aid convoy. He rejected Israeli and U.S. assertions that the strike was not deliberate.

"Initially, I would say categorically no," Andres said when asked if he accepted that explanation.

"Even if we were not in coordination with the (Israel Defense Forces), no democratic country and no military can be targeting civilians and humanitarians," he added.

Andres described how he learned of the attack, saying first his group lost contact with its team in Gaza, and did not realize what happened until seeing images of the bodies.

He said that after the IDF attacked the first armored car, the team was able to escape and move to a second car which was then attacked, forcing them to move to the third car.

The aid workers tried to communicate to make clear who they were, he said, adding IDF knew they were in the area which it controlled.

Then the third car was hit, "and we saw the consequences of that."

I dunno if I really have the best radar for this sort of thing, but I feel like the World Central Kitchen incident could be a big turning point in public opinion. Jose Andres has been very outspoken about it so far, and I think a lot of people across generations know who he is and are at least somewhat familiar with his charity work. My boomer-aged in-laws were amped to eat at one of his restaurants in Chicago having heard of him through his charity stuff.

14 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

I dunno if I really have the best radar for this sort of thing, but I feel like the World Central Kitchen incident could be a big turning point in public opinion.

I'm getting that sense as well.  Of course, it "helps" (if that word could even be applied) or at least "doesn't hurt" that most (6/7) of the victims looked like this as opposed to being solely Palestinians:

2409.jpg?width=620&dpr=1&s=none

• True 2

Andrés went on Israeli television today and said the same thing he did to Reuters - that the convoy was deliberately targeted by the IDF.

Jose Andres tells Israeli TV: WCK was in IDF-controlled area, coordinated with IDF (Times of Israel)

World Central Kitchen’s founder Jose Andres gives a tearful interview to Israel’s Channel 12 news, mourning the seven dead and insisting the IDF airstrike was “a direct attack,” not a mistake.

“The airstrikes on our convoy I don’t think were an unfortunate mistake. It was really a direct attack on clearly marked vehicles whose movements were known by everybody at the IDF,” he says.

“I know Israelis. I have many friends that are Israelis and Jewish. I know Israelis, they are better than this war being waged. I know that they are better than blocking food and medicines to civilians.”

“We were feeding Israelis. We were next to the people of Israel hours after entire communities were massacred [on October 7]. We were there next to the Israeli people. We did more than two million meals. We were in many kibbutzim. We were in the north.”

“If we think about Passover — what are the lessons that we know from Passover? Lessons that every Israeli knows? That in Passover, you will feed the strangers. You will feed the strangers because the strangers fed you. Let’s embrace the meaning of Passover by making sure we will feed every stranger today.”

I don't know if the top brass intentionally targeted them but I do think there is a segment in Israel that hates the aid workers and wants to use starvation to bring the Palastinians to their knees.

And commanders have quite a bit flexiblity to make their own decisions. 

Biden fucking sucks. What has this geriatric corpse turd of a president done to stem the ongoing travesty here, besides a few “strongly worded” statements and phone calls? This is supposed to be our answer to Trump? Jesus fucking Christ. Be a goddamn leader!

• Guillotine 1

10 hours ago, Littleronin said:

Tune in tomorrow when IDF kills more aid workers and proclaims it was an oopsie-daisy. 

Followed by Biden talking about how he “warned” Netanyanu to stop killing aid workers and civilians while quietly sending more bombs and ammunitions