Russian Trolls may have been behind some of the hate for The Last Jedi

Brick

27 minutes ago, number305 said:

I remember those big Russian guys hanging out at target preventing any parents from buying star wars toys that Christmas.  Now Hasbro knows why they didn't sell any.

To be fair, the traditional toy industry has been in decline for years now. Kids don't give a shit about toys anymore. They want iPads and other electronics.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

To be fair, the traditional toy industry has been in decline for years now. Kids don't give a shit about toys anymore. They want iPads and other electronics.

I'm not trying to be a jerk... but don't you think Hasbro is aware of the trends in the toy industry?  They still put all this stuff out there that didn't sell.

6 minutes ago, number305 said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk... but don't you think Hasbro is aware of the trends in the toy industry?  They still put all this stuff out there that didn't sell.

Oh they definitely know... so does Mattel. It's no secret that the traditional toy industry is in trouble outside a few "hot" toys. The toy industry in the U.S. actually GREW this year but that was fueled by electronics and tech focused toys. Popular brands still drive toys sales though and Star Wars is STILL and immensely popular and lucrative brand.

17 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh they definitely know... so does Mattel. It's no secret that the traditional toy industry is in trouble outside a few "hot" toys. The toy industry in the U.S. actually GREW this year but that was fueled by electronics and tech focused toys. Popular brands still drive toys sales though and Star Wars is STILL and immensely popular and lucrative brand.

My fiancé’s 5 year old niece has an iPhone X... 5... years... old... :| 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Some people are really invested in the idea that TLJ is a widely hated property and it just tickles me.

It amuses me how hard people support it.

I'm not starting online petitions or boycotting anything.  I took my family to see Solo when it came out.  I just really didn't like TLJ.  I would put it with Phantom Menace and Clone Wars if I was grouping Star Wars movies.

I'm still looking forward to the trilogy from that director if he actually gets to make them.  I really liked Looper and in my opinion Ozymandias (episode of Breaking Bad) is the best single hour of television ever made.  I just didn't like what was done with the existing characters.  Give him all his own characters to work with and I don't think I will have any issues with his movies.

I've been mostly ignoring these TLJ threads because of how fiercely people support it, but yea, it wasn't great, IMO. If you like it, fine, cool, good for you. I personally didn't. I didn't *hate* the movie, but it just was too much "oh, haha, you thought X was going to happen? olo! F U! Let's not be too Star Warsy here!". :shrug:

• Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I've been mostly ignoring these TLJ threads because of how fiercely people support it, but yea, it wasn't great, IMO. If you like it, fine, cool, good for you. I personally didn't. I didn't *hate* the movie, but it just was too much "oh, haha, you thought X was going to happen? olo! F U! Let's not be too Star Warsy here!". :shrug:

To be fair, that was pretty much one of the many missions statements of the film. You don't have to like it, of course, but it sounds like with the mission statements it had in mind (and the way it wanted to present them) there was no way it was going to work for a segment of the audience on principle, for good or ill. 

2 hours ago, BuckFly said:

My opinion carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

...nor does it carry any less.  The movie was s***, comrades or not.

Not all opinions are created equal.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

To be fair, that was pretty much one of the many missions statements of the film. You don't have to like it, of course, but it sounds like with the mission statements it had in mind (and the way it wanted to present them) there was no way it was going to work for a segment of the audience on principle, for good or ill. 

I know and saw that well after-the-fact. I find it beyond odd as if you don't want to be "Star Warsy" and be different... then... umm... make a non-Star Wars movie.  :shrug: 

Don't get me wrong, again, the movie wasn't as horrible as many made it out to be and some of the criticism was just complaining for the sake of doing so (ie: criticism regarding Leia having force powers... like... why wouldn't she and how do you know she didn't train a little after RotJ? or "bombs wouldn't fall straight down without gravity!!11!1!"... seriously? THAT'S what breaks a movie for you? ). Just wasn't for me and is certainly my second least favorite Star Wars movie after Phantom Menace.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I know and saw that well after-the-fact. I find it beyond odd as if you don't want to be "Star Warsy" and be different... then... umm... make a non-Star Wars movie.  :shrug: 

Don't get me wrong, again, the movie wasn't as horrible as many made it out to be and some of the criticism was just complaining for the sake of doing so (ie: criticism regarding Leia having force powers... like... why wouldn't she and how do you know she didn't train a little after RotJ? or "bombs wouldn't fall straight down without gravity!!11!1!"... seriously? THAT'S what breaks a movie for you? ). Just wasn't for me and is certainly my second least favorite Star Wars movie after Phantom Menace.

It's a real movie in Star Wars clothing. I don't think that is per se a bad thing, but I can see why some wouldn't like that for legitimate reasons (like yourself).

And then there are some who just don't like the fact that Johnson snuck a real movie into a Star Wars movie. And that says so much about that segment of the population. 

35 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's a real movie in Star Wars clothing. I don't think that is per se a bad thing, but I can see why some wouldn't like that for legitimate reasons (like yourself).

And then there are some who just don't like the fact that Johnson snuck a real movie into a Star Wars movie. And that says so much about that segment of the population. 

Eps 4 & 5 were real movies and they were Star Wars...? :confused:

6 is debatable. :p 

On 10/3/2018 at 10:11 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah it's crazy how tech savvy young kids are these days. My sister just bought my nephew his own tablet for his birthday.  he's 8.

My two year old son has an iPad. He can make video calls to my wife, navigate to different games, watch different shows on PBS Kids, and read and write letters with some educational games. We don't even let him have the thing everyday or for long periods of time. It's crazy to think of the world that'll belong to this coming generation of kids.

14 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

You are self aware enough to understand how pretentious this sounds right?  

• Guillotine 1

40 minutes ago, number305 said:

You are self aware enough to understand how pretentious this sounds right?  

I'm not sure what's pretentious about it. That's been a big criticism amongst a certain segment of Star Wars fans; that TLJ wasn't "Star Wars-y" enough. I'm not sure what is pretentious about saying that. :)

All I'm saying is that the reason it doesn't feel "Star Wars-y" enough is because it tries to actually be a real movie rather than primarily please fans. It's a fair assessment, I think, pretentious or not. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not sure what's pretentious about it. That's been a big criticism amongst a certain segment of Star Wars fans; that TLJ wasn't "Star Wars-y" enough. I'm not sure what is pretentious about saying that. :)

All I'm saying is that the reason it doesn't feel "Star Wars-y" enough is because it tries to actually be a real movie rather than primarily please fans. It's a fair assessment, I think, pretentious or not. 

Maybe I’m mistaken but I think his comment was in reference to Star Wars some how not being a “real movie”.

15 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

It was a terrible movie 

No-no, no, no-no, no-no-no-no
No, no-no, no, no, no-no, no-no, no-no
No-no-no-no, no-no, no, no-no, no

Nobody can do the shing-a-ling
Like I do
Nobody can do the skate
Like I do
Nobody can do boogaloo
Like I do
Nobody can do Philly
Like I do

Well, don't you know I go to skate, I do
Ain't nobody doin' it but me (Nobody but me)
When I go to Philly, I do
Ain't nobody doin' it but me, babe (Nobody but me)
Well, let me tell you nobody
But nobody but me

Tell you, tell you, nobody (nobody), nobody (nobody)
Nobody (nobody), nobody (nobody)

No-no, no, no-no, no-no-no-no
No, no-no, no, no, no-no, no-no, no-no
No-no-no-no, no-no, no, no-no, no

Nobody can do the shing-a-ling
Like I do
Nobody can do the skate
Like I do
Nobody can do the boogaloo
Like I do