COVID is going around again

Fizzzzle

My dumb observation of the day:
Based on how some of the people at my work talk, we would be better off if we replaced talking about “COVID” with a generic “getting sick”. Everyone got so, uh, sick of hearing about Covid, it became such a “political” topic because we are a nation of idiots, people around here just roll their eyes whenever it comes up. Not saying this applies to people here, but irl, definitely. 

But a couple weeks ago, when everyone at work was getting sick with something (cough, runny nose, probably just a cold but who knows) suddenly people were keeping their distance, covering their mouths, and washing their hands more. 

• Haha 2
  • Halal 1

28 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

My dumb observation of the day:
Based on how some of the people at my work talk, we would be better off if we replaced talking about “COVID” with a generic “getting sick”. Everyone got so, uh, sick of hearing about Covid, it became such a “political” topic because we are a nation of idiots, people around here just roll their eyes whenever it comes up. Not saying this applies to people here, but irl, definitely. 

But a couple weeks ago, when everyone at work was getting sick with something (cough, runny nose, probably just a cold but who knows) suddenly people were keeping their distance, covering their mouths, and washing their hands more. 

If there's one thing I wish became a habit over the last few years, it's wearing a mask when you're symptomatic. People in Asia have been doing it for eons

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

If there's one thing I wish became a habit over the last few years, it's wearing a mask when you're symptomatic. People in Asia have been doing it for eons

It is the chuds god given right to infect grandma with a respiratory illness cause masks are fascism! 

• Guillotine 1

Ever since I caught Covid on the week of Thanksgiving I haven't been feeling 100%.  Felt like my energy is a lot more sapped than usual, and mood-wise it's been incredibly stressful, although there's a lot that contributed to that.

On 9/16/2023 at 6:27 AM, SoberChef said:

Speaking of tests, will they still come up POS/NEG even with this supposed new variant or will we all have to go out & buy those as well?

Some bullshit insurance billing is making people pay for $200 when they claimed it was of free of charge.

For now, Federal Government is rebooting the free covid tests per household.  Idk when.

2 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

For now, Federal Government is rebooting the free covid tests per household.  Idk when.

Next Monday.

WWW.NPR.ORG

People will be able to go to COVIDTests.gov and get four free tests per household, starting next week. The Biden administration says it is trying to prepare for the fall and winter COVID season.

15 minutes ago, Ominous said:

My wife had a positive result via a rapid test this week. 

When did her symptoms begin?

If it was the Alpha/Delta variant at the time, it would have been able to detect symptoms within 2-5 days onset.  At the present moment the new variant for 2023 has been harder to detect, or rather it mimics other viruses/infections that people dismiss Covid as the first indicator. Specifically, I've been reading accounts that it can take up to 14 days of symptom onset to finally test positive for Covid.

I'm not sure if I have had Covid again since November, but I've tried to stay masked for a while at my workplace, while staying at home or WFH.  Still mask to this day; KN95s when I'm doing 1-2 hour errands, N95 when I'm out in the city, or outside in dense locations for more than 3+ hours.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

You've always been supposed to do the at-home rapid tests as a sequence of like 2-3 at 24-36 hour intervals to avoid the false negative issue.

At the 2020-2021 guidelines, I thought the rapid tests were only effective if you experienced symptoms within that time period.  Only the PCR tests (which good luck finding now) were able to indicate a positive test within 2-5 days of exposure.  I could be wrong, but idk.  It gets weirder for those who get asymptomatic.

2 hours ago, darkness35 said:

When did her symptoms begin?

If it was the Alpha/Delta variant at the time, it would have been able to detect symptoms within 2-5 days onset.  At the present moment the new variant for 2023 has been harder to detect, or rather it mimics other viruses/infections that people dismiss Covid as the first indicator. Specifically, I've been reading accounts that it can take up to 14 days of symptom onset to finally test positive for Covid.

I'm not sure if I have had Covid again since November, but I've tried to stay masked for a while at my workplace, while staying at home or WFH.  Still mask to this day; KN95s when I'm doing 1-2 hour errands, N95 when I'm out in the city, or outside in dense locations for more than 3+ hours.

Sunday or Monday 

Its never going to go away.

Its never going to be as strong as it was in the beginning due to the constant mutation of the virus. Most people who test really dont even need to. Its like having the common fucking cold now. 

However, I'll still get the vaccine because why not. I get the flu shot every year and Im still here :shrug:

But fuck ever wearing a mask again. 

• True 2

6 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

Its never going to go away.

Its never going to be as strong as it was in the beginning due to the constant mutation of the virus. Most people who test really dont even need to. Its like having the common fucking cold now. 

However, I'll still get the vaccine because why not. I get the flu shot every year and Im still here :shrug:

But fuck ever wearing a mask again. 

Though I have grown into the habit of wearing it if I’m sick but need to go out. That stuff predates the pandemic in other cultures, but I’m now fully on that bandwagon. :p 

19 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Though I have grown into the habit of wearing it if I’m sick but need to go out. That stuff predates the pandemic in other cultures, but I’m now fully on that bandwagon. :p 

I'm mostly anti mask because as soon as the county I work in goes "moderate exposure" my work makes us mask up. Full blown pandemic? I'd probably wear it lol . I really didn't go anywhere during covid. I did store pick up or early morning shopping but I did wear it.