Apple's iPhone has finally arrived in the year 2017

I’m rocking the iPhone 12, but will hopefully upgrade to the newer 15 soon. My mom also wants a new phone and has a shitload of prepaid money sitting on an old phone. So we are both with same company and will see what they can do to get us both a new phone and get my mom on a 2nd line with me. 

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

The main reason I wanna upgrade is because of the USB-C. Now I can use the phone and not my enormous iPad Air to use with my Rokid Max glasses. I could finally walk and watch my movies hands free outside if I wanted too.

I hadn’t thought of this! That is great news indeed and maybe these will get better support now. I have the adapter from

the n-real that lets you use it on iphone but that requires it’s own charge and it’ll be great to just plug in.

4 hours ago, legend said:

I'm still on my XR, which is actually working just fine. But the cable switch is honestly enough to push me over the edge to upgrade as silly as that sounds :p Bout time! It was such a weird move given they moved every other Apple device to USB-C.

Silly? You’d be a fool not to. And you ain’t no fool. 

• Thanks 1

I have a 14 Pro Max and I don’t see the 15 as a worthwhile upgrade. I can’t remember the last time I plugged my phone in to charge since I typically just use wireless charging pads, but the switch to USB-C vs lightning is very welcome since the exposed connectors on lightning cable plugs has always been an absolute shit design that’s made to break :p 

I don’t think I’ll upgrade until Apple puts out a foldable.

USB 2 on the non-pros does indeed suck, but I think I actually don't care even though it's frustrating. I primarily want USB-C for cable consistency and charging. I can't remember the last time I transferred data from my phone using a cable.

Then again, this might be an issue with Rokid Max... so that's probably one potential use I'd miss :/ 

I bet the USB 2 speeds on the non-pro will affect like 0.1% of users. Not saying it wouldn't be better if it was there, but it really isn't important for the vast vast majority of users. Even the pro users who do get the speed boost.

I use the cable to transfer data off every 6 months or so. So the faster speeds would probably save me like 5-10 minutes every 6 months. Or you know, I can just walk away and come back a little later and who cares.

I think it really only affects people who shoot a lot of video very frequently, and those people will all buy the pro. I bet 99% of iPhone users literally never transfer data off their phone with a cable, or if they do, they do it once or twice in it's entire life.

9 minutes ago, ort said:

I bet the USB 2 speeds on the non-pro will affect like 0.1% of users. Not saying it wouldn't be better if it was there, but it really isn't important for the vast vast majority of users. Even the pro users who do get the speed boost.

I use the cable to transfer data off every 6 months or so. So the faster speeds would probably save me like 5-10 minutes every 6 months. Or you know, I can just walk away and come back a little later and who cares.

I think it really only affects people who shoot a lot of video very frequently, and those people will all buy the pro. I bet 99% of iPhone users literally never transfer data off their phone with a cable, or if they do, they do it once or twice in it's entire life.

It's more of the "lol" of it over anything else really. It's a very "because it's Apple" kind of move. :p 

12 minutes ago, ort said:

Like most of Apple's scandals and controversies, they seem to mostly bother people who don't actually use the products.

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I have a 14 Pro Max and I don’t see the 15 as a worthwhile upgrade. I can’t remember the last time I plugged my phone in to charge since I typically just use wireless charging pads, but the switch to USB-C vs lightning is very welcome since the exposed connectors on lightning cable plugs has always been an absolute shit design that’s made to break :p 

I don’t think I’ll upgrade until Apple puts out a foldable.

53 minutes ago, ort said:

If I have big videos I just upload them to my Google Drive.

Other than charging, I use the USB-C port on my iPad Pro for two big reasons: for memory cards and video out.  Yes, cameras can do wireless transfers, but its so much faster to plug in a card if I want to review drone footage or look through 50MB RAW files from my Nikon. It's also nice that RAW support works in lightroom, so if I'm at a family event and someone wants a specific photo, I can pull in the RAW, do some quick adjustments, and send them an export. I can also do this on my Pixel if I don't have my iPad. For video, it's usually while traveling. I connect a hub with HDMI to watch video on hotel TVs. Using a hub also allows me to power the device while the video is playing. I could just use my laptop, but I usually have things downloaded on my iPad, and often it's easier to use the streaming apps even if I have internet.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

More of a general statement and not directed at you...

30 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Other than charging, I use the USB-C port on my iPad Pro for two big reasons: for memory cards and video out.  Yes, cameras can do wireless transfers, but it's so much faster to plug in a card if I want to review drone footage or look through 50MB RAW files from my Nikon. It's also nice that RAW support works in lightroom, so if I'm at a family event and someone wants a specific photo, I can pull in the RAW, do some quick adjustments, and send them an export. I can also do this on my Pixel if I don't have my iPad. For video, it's usually while traveling. I connect a hub with HDMI to watch video on hotel TVs. Using a hub also allows me to power the device while the video is playing. I could just use my laptop, but I usually have things downloaded on my iPad, and often it's easier to use the streaming apps even if I have internet.

Yes, these are all very valid reasons... for a tiny sliver of their users and one's who should all buy buy the pro...

We all wish they would pack every single feature into a phone that costs next to nothing, but in a world where they have to meet certain profit levels for each device they sell, whatever other use they found for the amount of extra money it would cost to have higher data transfer speeds is probably a better tradeoff for most people. Or maybe they are just putting the cash int their pocket... either way, this won't effect very many people...

1 minute ago, ort said:

Yes, these are all very valid reasons... for a tiny sliver of their users and one's who should all buy buy the pro...

For sure. I'd wouldn't recommend most people a get a Pro for better USB support, but if you have a use case then it's great. Also, it seems the speed difference is because of a USB3 controller in the new chip, so it's likely that next year's non-pro phones will get it.

Anyway... I'm not sure what I want to do... I'm currently using an iPhone 12 Pro Max, that works great and doesn't feel slow or hindered in any way...

That said... AT&T is offering me a $1,000 trade in on it... so I could basically upgrade for $200... which sound good, but then I get locked in for another 3 years... and it's not like I'm really planning on switching carriers or anything, I just hate financing phones through AT&T and do not like feeling stuck. It would more or less lock me into the 15 for three years and what if the 16 does have some very compelling new feature?

I think I may just wait another year, but I don't know...

I could also just buy it outright and then shuffle phones around the family so everyone kinda gets an upgrade... my youngest is due for his first smartphone... but he doesn't really need a Plus sized phone...

I dunno, I really use my phone less and less since I work from home. I do most of my phone-like stuff on an iPad these days. After the dopamine hit of getting something new fades, I don't really think the iPhone 15 is going to really do much to improve my life in any measurable way. But it sure does look shiny and new...

I'm all on board for moving to USB-C, but the transition is going to be annoying and as long as there is a mix of Lightning and USB-C throughout my house, moving over my phone won't really impact anything. Just being realistic... it will likely be 3+ years before our house is completely rid of Lightning and can move to a single charger everywhere.

I haven't verified this, but I heard the reason the non-pro is USB2 is because they're using their previous chip for (A16) and the chip doesn't have support for USB3. That makes it a bit more understandable because it's probably a non-trivial cost on their part to upgrade all the chips. Since the pro is using the new A17, it gets the support.

• True 1

42 minutes ago, legend said:

I haven't verified this, but I heard the reason the non-pro is USB2 is because they're using their previous chip for (A16) and the chip doesn't have support for USB3. That makes it a bit more understandable because it's probably a non-trivial cost on their part to upgrade all the chips. Since the pro is using the new A17, it gets the support.

I'd heard the same. The only writing I can find on it is in their press release for the Pros that mentions the USB-3 controller.

Additionally, a new USB controller enables USB 3 speeds on iPhone for the first time, now supporting much higher transfer speeds and video output up to 4K at 60 fps HDR.

• Thanks 1